It's time to buzz the tower

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

It's time to buzz the tower

Post by Woxof38 »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.3639697

Pilots suspended after buzzing airport tower in Germany. Air Berlin last long-haul ride for airline.
---------- ADS -----------

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: It's time to buzz the tower

Post by looproll »

the fun police are lurking around every corner

I propose new bank limits... 10 degrees and that's it, too scary otherwise

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

That's what happens when the pattern is full

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

I hope they pull the pilots Licences. Although it didn't appear to be all that unsafe. This was a totally reckless move on their behalf. It is not up to the pilots to decide if the passengers in the back want to go on a joy ride. I personally know a few people whom are terrified to fly. Its all they can do to get in and stay calm. They certainly don't need some jackass up front saying its time to buzz the tower Goose.

If they want to go out and buzz shit then maybe they should do it on their dime and rent a 172.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

godsrcrazy wrote:I hope they pull the pilots Licences. Although it didn't appear to be all that unsafe. This was a totally reckless move on their behalf. It is not up to the pilots to decide if the passengers in the back want to go on a joy ride. I personally know a few people whom are terrified to fly. Its all they can do to get in and stay calm. They certainly don't need some jackass up front saying its time to buzz the tower Goose.

If they want to go out and buzz shit then maybe they should do it on their dime and rent a 172.
+1.
Morons.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

godsrcrazy wrote:I hope they pull the pilots Licences. Although it didn't appear to be all that unsafe. This was a totally reckless move on their behalf. It is not up to the pilots to decide if the passengers in the back want to go on a joy ride. I personally know a few people whom are terrified to fly. Its all they can do to get in and stay calm. They certainly don't need some jackass up front saying its time to buzz the tower Goose.

+2.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Although it didn't appear to be all that unsafe. This was a totally reckless move on their behalf.
So which is it? Oh, never mind. Just another chance to get outraged about...something.

There was no "buzz the tower", it was a gently-banked go-around at what, 200 feet? OOOOooooohhhh.... The pax in the back wouldn't even know what was happening. Pretty funny, the attempts to sensationalize. "A HARD LEFT TURN! CHANNELING THEIR INNER TOPGUN! PEOPLE IN THE TERMINAL SCREAMING!!" Uh, no. Just more cheap-ass reporting.

Sure, she shouldn't have done it (#womenarepilotstoo), and will be rightfully admonished, but let's try and get a tighter grip on reality before thundering hellfire and damnation from our little pulpits, hmmm?

Next up: banning water cannon salutes. Too scary and triggering.

How awful it must be for so many people to live in constant fear of well, everything.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

complexintentions wrote:
Although it didn't appear to be all that unsafe. This was a totally reckless move on their behalf.
So which is it? Oh, never mind. Just another chance to get outraged about...something.

There was no "buzz the tower", it was a gently-banked go-around at what, 200 feet? OOOOooooohhhh.... The pax in the back wouldn't even know what was happening. Pretty funny, the attempts to sensationalize. "A HARD LEFT TURN! CHANNELING THEIR INNER TOPGUN! PEOPLE IN THE TERMINAL SCREAMING!!" Uh, no. Just more cheap-ass reporting.

Sure, she shouldn't have done it (#womenarepilotstoo), and will be rightfully admonished, but let's try and get a tighter grip on reality before thundering hellfire and damnation from our little pulpits, hmmm?

Next up: banning water cannon salutes. Too scary and triggering.

How awful it must be for so many people to live in constant fear of well, everything.
TOTALLY reckless for an airline pilot to have a “watch this” moment. Anytime. Anywhere. Maybe that shit flies where you work. Totally out of line where I do.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

A couple more views. Yeah.. rather irresponsible.

Passenger view:

From the ramp and on top of tower?:

From inside terminal, then inside tower:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Careful atphat, you'll need to wipe your screen, all that self-righteous spittle flying! :mrgreen:

Note I didn't condone what they did. I just have even more contempt for people who conflate things far beyond their actual importance, and then have the need to publicly, eagerly condemn what any of us with a brain already know, is obviously wrong. I do have to laugh at the instant jump to label the manoeuvre as "risky", "dangerous", "crazy" and the like. It's kind of embarrassing given the gentleness of the actual stunt. The risk is to the pilot's licenses, not anyone's lives. Such an intense need to sensationalize. Do people just have such incredibly dull, drab lives now that they need to invent danger behind every corner?

The crew will pay for their poor judgement, don't worry yourself about it too much.

Last flight at a defunct airline - my hunch is that the captain is probably leaving the shitty industry anyway, so decided to put a stamp on it.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Unprofessional: maybe.

Dangerous, extreme, crazy, ... Really? You can hear the agonizing screams of the petrified passengers in the plane :roll:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Yes, this is what passes for "extreme" these days. A gentle banked climb, with a seatbelt chime in the background and some surprised murmuring.

God, I hope they pay! :lol:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I am wondering what punishment he will get. Maybe they'll suspend him for a week while he spends 4 years looking for another job...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Do people just have such incredibly dull, drab lives now that they need to invent danger behind every corner?

If that is what some of the experts here consider " dangerous " I suggest they have their license suspended for lack of understanding what dangerous is.

Do these people really fly airplanes for a living?

If so I sure would not get on one they were flying.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Cat Driver wrote:
If that is what some of the experts here consider " dangerous " I suggest they have their license suspended for lack of understanding what dangerous is.

Do these people really fly airplanes for a living?

If so I sure would not get on one they were flying.
Well there are a large number of stall/spin accidents from buzz jobs. Not that they're inherently dangerous, but I guess the people who make the decision to do them tend to be the kind of people who don't have the skills to pull off such a basic manoeuvre safely.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

He he he.....cool.

Seems it was appoved by the tower..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The ignorance of some of the posters here of what constitutes danger is mind boggling just mind boggling.

It was a low pass with around twenty degrees of bank and a shallow climb out.

I am getting convinced that the biggest danger to aviation is some of the pilots here who do not seem to have a clue about flying.

Then again these posters could be just kids playing on their computers...I hope. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING ! :roll:

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I say irresponsible, simply because of the current perception of what may be going on when an aircraft takes an unusual turn towards a building. I’m surprised that the tower approved it.

I’m sure the passengers in the aircraft were briefed and thus weren’t worried. It didn't look that exciting from the onboard video. Not everybody on the ground would be aware of the plan, though.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I have had the tower operators ask for a low pass by their tower on several occasions, in fact one day both towers at Schiphol asked for a pass, so I got to do two in one after the other.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”