Where to go? To Europe or to Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Where to go? To Europe or to Canada

Post by Beefitarian »

You should come here soon. "My car won't start because I forgot to plug it in. I tore some skin off my hand touching bare metal without a glove and my balls are sucked deep into my abdomen." Season is just getting started.

Some call it winter but I like to be more precise.

Canada is the best place in the world! Make sure you buy a touque!
---------- ADS -----------

jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

Beefitarian wrote:You should come here soon. "My car won't start because I forgot to plug it in. I tore some skin off my hand touching bare metal without a glove and my balls are sucked deep into my abdomen." Season is just getting started.

Some call it winter but I like to be more precise.

Canada is the best place in the world! Make sure you buy a touque!
:lol:

Don't forget: "Don't worry, no one will see you cry because your tears will freeze instantly"

frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

TG wrote:
On a side note, I'm interested to see how hiring straight from flying school will pan out in Canada.
For example the ATPL's theory over there is quite extensive. Nothing to compare with here.
I guess that's their way to "Compensate" for the lack of flying experience you can get before reaching the Airlines as they don't have much of a small and medium aviation like we do in here.

It's the other way around in North America. Not much theory but a lot of practice.
So when you don't have much practice and theory..
Thanks guys for your positive replies! Hopefully, everything will happen well!

I understood your point, TG. So EASA theory or 703... Food for thought.

So after training(12 months maybe a little bit more), I gonna apply for post-graduate work permit and later for Express entry as Canadian experienced class(maybe it'll be instructor job, or working on the ramp). Any thoughts?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

skybluetrek wrote:Ouch! Zee German is out! I wonder what airlines have you choosen to fly when visiting the old continent... :P I can picture you getting off the plane after one of those 1 Euro bargains and snapping at the F/O standing outside the cockpit... ''You worthless piece of scheisse! How dare you seating behind the controls of this exceedingly superb Scarebus a320!'' :lol:

Yeah the kid's clueless, but I belive he's far away from being ''very condescending'' and ''speaking as if he had thousands of hours flying heavy jets'' He started by asking where to do his training.
Anyway, frye189, you might get better advice if you say where you're from, sometimes there're better oportunities for nationals of certain countries or regions.
Thanks for that reply. It made me chuckle a bit.

Before I was employed by an airline, and had to pay full fare, I only flew a "low cost" carrier once: Air Transat from Vancouver to Munich (via Calgary). I always flew Air Canada / Lufthansa / SAS. You will never see me fly Ryanair, Germanwings, Easyjet or any other low cost European carrier. It's a principle that I intend to uphold with pure fanaticism; worse than vegans that do yoga! I rather not go on a trip if I have to fly a low cost carrier. I truly believe the "cheapo-air" business model ruined aviation as it should be, and allowed every low life scumbag and Chav to fly to Spain for less money than it costs for a pint, at his local pub, in his subsidized welfare neighborhood.

So, getting back on topic. The kid is probably better off in his own country, because he'll have more opportunities there, not to mention the fact that he'll understand the culture better. I had a hell of a time fitting in here and I've seen a lot the world before moving to Canada. I'm not sure where he's from. If I did, I could give him better advice.

Das ist mir wurst...
frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

HansDietrich wrote:
So, getting back on topic. The kid is probably better off in his own country, because he'll have more opportunities there, not to mention the fact that he'll understand the culture better. I had a hell of a time fitting in here and I've seen a lot the world before moving to Canada. I'm not sure where he's from. If I did, I could give him better advice.
I would say that low-cost airlines are the future of aviation. Just look at them. Anyway, you better know it. I didn't know that you're from Germany.

I said about East Slavonic countries, if you really care about it(thanks), Russia.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

frye189 wrote:
HansDietrich wrote:
I would say that low-cost airlines are the future of aviation. Just look at them. Anyway, you better know it. I didn't know that you're from Germany.

I said about East Slavonic countries, if you really care about it(thanks), Russia.
They are not, maybe for a certain group of people. The majority of the public prefers flying legacy carriers for many reasons. Options, schedule, comfort, connections, etc.

So if you're Russian, one of the things I would do is look into Baltic Aviation Academy. They have a pretty good school there and it's fairly cheap (compared to others, obviously). The options in Easter Europe are quite amazing. Wizzair, Air Baltic, even Aeroflot is hiring like mad. Look at PPC (Pilot Career Center and you can see for youself.)

I'll say this from the bottom of my heart. IF YOU WANT TO COME TO CANADA, BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY LIKE THE COUNTRY AND WANT TO LIVE HERE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, THEN DO IT. IT'S AN AMAZING COUNTRY. If you want to come here because you think it'll be more cost effective and you'll have a better chance of getting a job, I'd say don't. The amount of time and headache you have to go thorough to get your papers and legal right to work is not worth it, just to gain a few thousand hours on a King Air.

Das ist mir wurst...
frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

HansDietrich wrote:
They are not, maybe for a certain group of people. The majority of the public prefers flying legacy carriers for many reasons. Options, schedule, comfort, connections, etc.

So if you're Russian, one of the things I would do is look into Baltic Aviation Academy. They have a pretty good school there and it's fairly cheap (compared to others, obviously). The options in Easter Europe are quite amazing. Wizzair, Air Baltic, even Aeroflot is hiring like mad. Look at PPC (Pilot Career Center and you can see for youself.)

I'll say this from the bottom of my heart. IF YOU WANT TO COME TO CANADA, BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY LIKE THE COUNTRY AND WANT TO LIVE HERE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, THEN DO IT. IT'S AN AMAZING COUNTRY. If you want to come here because you think it'll be more cost effective and you'll have a better chance of getting a job, I'd say don't. The amount of time and headache you have to go thorough to get your papers and legal right to work is not worth it, just to gain a few thousand hours on a King Air.
Actually, you're Sherlock! I'm thinking about BAA and that's why I'm here. Because of an opportunity at BAA and Canada. Aeroflot doesn't hire anybody with abroad licenses. They're hiring only Russians or experienced EASA licensed pilots with a non-Russian passport. To be honest, our education system at least isn't good and Russian mind... You know.

Thanks for your reply, I wouldn't be here, if I just wanted to build hours in the country of the maple leaf.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

HansDietrich wrote:
skybluetrek wrote:Ouch! Zee German is out! I wonder what airlines have you choosen to fly when visiting the old continent... :P I can picture you getting off the plane after one of those 1 Euro bargains and snapping at the F/O standing outside the cockpit... ''You worthless piece of scheisse! How dare you seating behind the controls of this exceedingly superb Scarebus a320!'' :lol:

Yeah the kid's clueless, but I belive he's far away from being ''very condescending'' and ''speaking as if he had thousands of hours flying heavy jets'' He started by asking where to do his training.
Anyway, frye189, you might get better advice if you say where you're from, sometimes there're better oportunities for nationals of certain countries or regions.
Thanks for that reply. It made me chuckle a bit.

Before I was employed by an airline, and had to pay full fare, I only flew a "low cost" carrier once: Air Transat from Vancouver to Munich (via Calgary). I always flew Air Canada / Lufthansa / SAS. You will never see me fly Ryanair, Germanwings, Easyjet or any other low cost European carrier. It's a principle that I intend to uphold with pure fanaticism; worse than vegans that do yoga! I rather not go on a trip if I have to fly a low cost carrier. I truly believe the "cheapo-air" business model ruined aviation as it should be, and allowed every low life scumbag and Chav to fly to Spain for less money than it costs for a pint, at his local pub, in his subsidized welfare neighborhood.

I respect your principle. The "low cost" business model makes me sad every time I fly as a passenger with one of these companies. Today, especially in Europe, this option might not only be the cheapest fare, in some cases it is the best routing or possible connection between points A and B, or even the only one.
These companies have helped to erase all remaining forms of enjoyment in airline travel. Passengers are herds, they go from a mall, to a sponsored blind jetway bridge, to a crammed cabin and vice versa, and they don't seem to care! Why? Because their only concern is the ticket price and the amount of crap they're allowed to take onto the plane with them. They do not mind having to pay extra for minimum benefits/rights as a passenger/customer. Nor do they care about crew members, who, of course, are the ones actually paying the high costs of "low-cost" biz model.
Then, in an ironic but obvious twist of events, I have to agree with this modern and confused Russian boy,
I would say that low-cost airlines are the future of aviation. Just look at them.
These companies best represent the interests of most people that we, air-bus drivers, get to fly around.
"Low cost" is here to stay. Think about it for a second, do we even wonder about working conditions for Uber drivers, or the guy who delivers your food for example? Pilots are going down the same way, and fast. It is called market economic ingenuity. :toimonster: :twisted:

frye189 :goodman: Best advice I can give you, Do more research, be as objective as you can, think long term, and more research.
This is all good stuff for example:
The options in Easter Europe are quite amazing. Wizzair, Air Baltic, even Aeroflot is hiring like mad. Look at PPC (Pilot Career Center and you can see for youself.)

Last edited by skybluetrek on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

skybluetrek wrote: frye189 :goodman: Best advice I can give you, Do more research, be as objective as you can, think long term, and more research.
This is all good stuff for example:
The options in Easter Europe are quite amazing. Wizzair, Air Baltic, even Aeroflot is hiring like mad. Look at PPC (Pilot Career Center and you can see for youself.)
Thanks! Even right now after lots of advice I do not understand and confused (you're right) where I wanna go. For me, it's choosing between Jets and Canada.

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

Go to Seneca College its less than 85k including accommodation and you get a degree in aviation plus a Frozen ATPL and a MCC on CRJ-200, not to mention that they got a cadet program with jazz,georgian and sunwing

frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

Future_Sunwing_pilot wrote:Go to Seneca College its less than 85k including accommodation and you get a degree in aviation plus a Frozen ATPL and a MCC on CRJ-200, not to mention that they got a cadet program with jazz,georgian and sunwing
Thanks for your reply! So maybe Seneca is good but I think flying on 703 somewhere in the North, have some fun and join later turboprop for me is much better than seating in a classroom for 4 years. Maybe I'm wrong.

Or you highly recommend Seneca?

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

frye189 wrote:
Future_Sunwing_pilot wrote:Go to Seneca College its less than 85k including accommodation and you get a degree in aviation plus a Frozen ATPL and a MCC on CRJ-200, not to mention that they got a cadet program with jazz,georgian and sunwing
Thanks for your reply! So maybe Seneca is good but I think flying on 703 somewhere in the North, have some fun and join later turboprop for me is much better than seating in a classroom for 4 years. Maybe I'm wrong.

There's also Confederation college and Sault college which offer a commercial pilot program confederation is 2 years no multi Sault is 3 years including multi and focuses more on actually flying, look into it, also their both fairly cheap and covered by OSAP

frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

Future_Sunwing_pilot wrote:
frye189 wrote:

There's also Confederation college and Sault college which offer a commercial pilot program confederation is 2 years no multi Sault is 3 years including multi and focuses more on actually flying, look into it, also their both fairly cheap and covered by OSAP
So I'm not Canadian citizen that's why I don't think that OSAP could do something for me. Anyway, thanks for your help. I think I'm already decided where I want to study in Canada.

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

frye189 wrote:
Future_Sunwing_pilot wrote:
frye189 wrote:

So I'm not Canadian citizen that's why I don't think that OSAP could do something for me. Anyway, thanks for your help. I think I'm already decided where I want to study in Canada.
Good Luck!

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

frye189 wrote:I said about East Slavonic countries, if you really care about it(thanks), Russia.
Without residency rights which you will need to get a job Canadian and EASA Licences are useless imho.

Nothing for you in Russia? Plenty of Airlines flying there.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “Flight Training”