Junior Captain Pay/Lifestyle Questions

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

zipper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Junior Captain Pay/Lifestyle Questions

Post by zipper »

I'm debating jumping ship from my current job for direct entry Captain at Porter. I have looked at the base pay and have a few questions. How much overtime is available at the moment? If I were to work max overtime, what could I expect in terms of gross pay (including per diems).

I am assuming that junior captains start out holding reserve; how much time in do you typically need before you can hold a non-reserve schedule in CYYZ?
---------- ADS -----------

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Junior Captain Pay/Lifestyle Questions

Post by Boreas »

Porter is taking direct entry captains now?

Can anyone confirm?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Boreas wrote:Porter is taking direct entry captains now? Can anyone confirm?
https://porter.rivs.com/careers/portercareers/68-35-64/
QUALIFICATIONS:
-Airline Transport Pilot License (Transport Canada)
-Minimum 5,000 hours total time
-500 hours Pilot In Command on Q400 or 1,500 hours Pilot In Command, heavy turboprop in excess of 44,000lbs MGTOW
-Preference will be given to those with time on type and with 705 operation experience
-Aviation College or University Degree is an asset
* Pilots that do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered based on experience and other factors

As for being Junior, Yes you will hold a RSV block, and right now the call out rate is pretty high. Even if you're based somewhere else they will deadhead you in to operate other bases' flights. RSV blocks are normally for the bottom 30 pilots or so, varying month to month. Getting off RSV depends on how many people are upgrading behind you to push you up the list.

Year 1 CA pay starts at just under $78k, based on 85 Credits months. Per Diems are 3$/hour TAFB (time away from base). Paid out every two weeks. On average 250 hours per month. about 7-9K year. 3 weeks vacation (VAC) + 9 stat (STAT) time in lieu days. Working them gets you 1.5x pay. (Mid Aug-Mid Sept at 3x)

As for OT, there are on average 3 emails a week with "Open Flying Opportunities". Currently, capped at 105 hours per month. Summer month were uncapped, some CA's pulled in 130+ credits (working at 3x on VAC). Max OT would pay out 27k per year.

A Year 1 Captain working 5 hours a month OT, could make about $93k (77k salary + 7k OT + 9k Per diem).

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

What's the bond/promissory note at Porter now?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Victory wrote:What's the bond/promissory note at Porter now?
None.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

I don't want to start a debate on this again, but per diems is not Salary man come on!
I do understand that you don't spend every dollar of that and a certain amount is kept tax free.
But you can't come out and say I make 93k with per diems. From what I understand, 93 - 9 - 7 = 77k! That sounds more like a year 1 captain salary in Canada.
93k is misleading

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

If I were to work max overtime, what could I expect in terms of gross pay (including per diems).

This was the original question asked!

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

That's what happens when you start reading from the bottom! Sorry

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

What is the typical monthly schedule like at Porter? What are the duty days and how many of them do you work?

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

12 gdo’s a month. No single days of reserve as the software won’t let you bid that.

I’d also add that as a DEC as people in the company upgrade you won’t move up the list as Porter reserves a spot in seniority. So as a DEC you will stay at the bottom for a while. You will however collect a bigger paycheque than starting as a FO.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Thanks. Typically how many legs and how long of a duty day are you doing?

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Victory wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm Thanks. Typically how many legs and how long of a duty day are you doing?
It depends on the base and pairing construction. Speaking in generalities; a short day can be as little as 2 legs (4-6 hours duty time [1 hour report before 1st flight to chocks in +15]. A typical day is 3-4 legs, ranging in the 8; and a long day can be 10+ with 6 legs. Days can run longer if there are scheduled breaks.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am
Victory wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm Thanks. Typically how many legs and how long of a duty day are you doing?
It depends on the base and pairing construction. Speaking in generalities; a short day can be as little as 2 legs (4-6 hours duty time [1 hour report before 1st flight to chocks in +15]. A typical day is 3-4 legs, ranging in the 8; and a long day can be 10+ with 6 legs. Days can run longer if there are scheduled breaks.
Grey_Wolf - My understanding is that Porter has a min credit of 4 hours per day, can you confirm? And is that reconciled per day or per pairing?

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

JBI wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:51 am
Grey_Wolf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am
Grey_Wolf - My understanding is that Porter has a min credit of 4 hours per day, can you confirm? And is that reconciled per day or per pairing?
Daily Credit is actual block or 1/2 duty time, whatever is greater; with a minimum of 4. It is reconciled at the end of the day.

Some Examples:

YUL-YTZ-YQT
3 Legs, Scheduled for 0500, Block 0315. Actual = Scheduled. Credit for the day 0400 (Minimum Guarantee of 0400)
Actual took 0525, Block 0320. Credit for the day 0400 (Min Guarantee of 0400)

YOW-YTZ-YQT-YTZ-YOW
4 Legs, Scheduled for 0943 duty, Block 0606. Actual=Scheduled. Credit for the day 0606 (Credit Block)
Actual took 1200 (delayed departure due mechanical), Block 0620. Credit for the day 0620 (Credit Block)

YOW-YTZ-YQG-YTZ-YOW
4 Legs, Scheduled for 0723 duty, Block 0358. Actual=Scheduled. Credit for the day 0400 (Minimum Guarantee)
Actual took 1400 (due IROPs and divertion to outstation). Credit for the day 0700 (Half Duty Day)

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Grey_Wolf, how are base assignments handled? Can you request a certain base during the hiring process?

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Noo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:17 pm Grey_Wolf, how are base assignments handled? Can you request a certain base during the hiring process?
Outstations (YOW, YHZ, YQT) are assigned as needed. If a position becomes available for these stations, an internal bid is normally announced first. The company then assigns successful bidders. If there are positions still available after this process, then they will assign new hires to these bases as required. During the hiring process they ask what base(s) you would prefer.

Return to “Porter Airlines”