The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

flythatwing
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by flythatwing »

SpdLvlChgClb wrote:I was just invited to the on-line video and don't have 737 time. But do have 6000+ hours, with heavy wide body PIC time. When do the next few courses start? Will they be filled with mostly 737 slots?
Out of pure curiosity, why would a pilot with you experience want a job that pays 50K a year?
---------- ADS -----------

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

flythatwing wrote:
SpdLvlChgClb wrote:I was just invited to the on-line video and don't have 737 time. But do have 6000+ hours, with heavy wide body PIC time. When do the next few courses start? Will they be filled with mostly 737 slots?
Out of pure curiosity, why would a pilot with you experience want a job that pays 50K a year?
Unprecedented growth, unprecedented upgrade timelines, unprecedented retirements, unprecedented profits, unprecedented profit sharing cheques, flashy new iron...

But what do I know :roll:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

flythatwing wrote: Out of pure curiosity, why would a pilot with you experience want a job that pays 50K a year?
You can bid $150K+ almost out of the gate if you think you can do it... sounds like he can...

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

altiplano wrote:
flythatwing wrote: Out of pure curiosity, why would a pilot with you experience want a job that pays 50K a year?
You can bid $150K+ almost out of the gate if you think you can do it... sounds like he can...
What do you mean by that? I thought everything at AC was seniority based and previous experience was only important to get hired?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I was going to write down the total time, but something dawned on me.

Everyone who gets a call is qualified, so time is not an issue.

The degree thing really means nothing in the overall scheme of things. Many get the job without a degree.

So, since a call results from being qualified, the only thing that appears to be of interest to the employer to proceed to hiring is; how you look, whether they like your personality.

At the end of the day, try to portray a movie star image. I am not joking.

From a multiple reject that certainly does not look like a movie star and certainly does not act like one. :lol:

If you can fly, if you have a brain, sorry, not enough.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

flythatwing wrote:

Short term pain long term gain. I’ve heard of a few WJ 737 cpts that have applied

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

digits_ wrote:
altiplano wrote:
What do you mean by that? I thought everything at AC was seniority based and previous experience was only important to get hired?
I mean, not everyone is capable to or should go captain quickly - no matter if their seniority can hold it. Maybe they are new to jets or airline ops or could benefit from from time in the right seat at a new airline... or they may not want to do it...

If you do go captain though, you get off 4 year flat pay, which is basically the mentioned $50k/yr job in year 1... ~$58/63/72/81/hr... there is more to it, but that's the hourly...

junior EMJ Captain from the last bid is around seniority #3500... Bottom guy at the start of this year was #3541...

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Anybody know the upcoming course dates?

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Yesterday and every three weeks after UFN, I doubt there would be any run over Christmas. Hiring usually slows down over the summer.

Last edited by TheStig on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Dec 4th, as far as i know. calls have already gone out.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Anyone other than that guy with a bag load of wide-body time get called after applying to the recent posting?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Mr. North wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm Anyone other than that guy with a bag load of wide-body time get called after applying to the recent posting?
You don't need a bagload of widebody, as a matter of fact it is a negative (they actually do not like experience since it is a sign of ''bad habits'' accumulated over the years).............I can tell you about a whole bunch that have been turned down in favour of young and inexperienced wonders who can be moulded in their system.

1000 hours, high school, atpl written's done, they like your face, you are golden. That is the big red way.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm 1000 hours, high school, atpl written's done, they like your face, you are golden. That is the big red way.
Nobody anywhere remotely close to this unqualified has been hired over the last couple years.

PROC_HDG

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm
Mr. North wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm Anyone other than that guy with a bag load of wide-body time get called after applying to the recent posting?
You don't need a bagload of widebody, as a matter of fact it is a negative (they actually do not like experience since it is a sign of ''bad habits'' accumulated over the years).............I can tell you about a whole bunch that have been turned down in favour of young and inexperienced wonders who can be moulded in their system.

1000 hours, high school, atpl written's done, they like your face, you are golden. That is the big red way.
Hahaha what are you smoking?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Don't smoke. But I do know what the typical intake is. Seen it for myself (guys with good resumes turned down, minimal quals. hired), hear about it from my buddies who work there.

so experts, give me a ''typical'' new hire profile. C'mon, spit it out.

Nope, you certainly don't need widebody time to get a job at AC. It's all about fitting into their concept of corporate culture.

from an old guy, you know, one of those who knows squat???

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 pm Don't smoke. But I do know what the typical intake is. Seen it for myself (guys with good resumes turned down, minimal quals. hired), hear about it from my buddies who work there.

so experts, give me a ''typical'' new hire profile. C'mon, spit it out.

Nope, you certainly don't need widebody time to get a job at AC. It's all about fitting into their concept of corporate culture.

from an old guy, you know, one of those who knows squat???
You obviously do not know what the "typical intake" is. Almost every new hire has a University Degree or Aviation Diploma. Almost every new hire has at least 3000hrs. Almost every new hire has extensive and diverse 705 experience.

The average new hire experience is trending down, but you are way off base. "1000 hours, high school, atpl written's done, they like your face, you are golden. That is the big red way. " .....this doesn't even meet the bare minimums that are posted in the job ad. So yes, what exactly are you smoking?

PROC_HDG

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

confusedalot wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 pm At the end of the day, try to portray a movie star image. I am not joking.

From a multiple reject that certainly does not look like a movie star and certainly does not act like one. :lol:

I can imagine exactly how your interview must have gone.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sooo.....from an old guy who would not even have a clue where to buy ''the smoke'', and does not even have a smartphone because I don't need one, yer telling me that the other old guys that just so happen to be industry and longtime friends that just so happen to work for big red are lying to me?

Recall that I have no dog in this race.

For those out there aspiring to work for Air Canada someday, now is the best time since 40 years to give it a shot.

No, you don't need widebody time
You don't even need jet time, but it is nice
University gives you some points, college a bit less, however it is not an absolute deal breaker
High School only is acceptable, many have been hired
published minimums are 1000 hours, I know one who had 2000 hours, another 1500 hours that were hired recently. I am sure there are more.
The big deal is whether they judge the candidate as fitting into their corporate culture. In plain words, they like you, or they don't, regardless of your background.

So let the naysayers go. The avcanada message board does not reflect actual events.

Wanna tell me where i can get that fantastic ''smoke?'' :lol:

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

PROC_HDG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm
confusedalot wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 pm At the end of the day, try to portray a movie star image. I am not joking.

I can imagine exactly how your interview must have gone.
Well of course, being part of the two thirds who had a shot but were not hired are screwups, right?? You have high standards.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Publish minimums are not 1000 hours.

Return to “Air Canada”