Looking for recent or active students Calgary Flying Club

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Looking for recent or active students Calgary Flying Club

Post by knackebrod »

Just started looking into flight schools. I am currently in the process of narrowing down the possibilities.
I would like to hear more about CFC from a current active or recent student.
Please send me a PM!
---------- ADS -----------

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Looking for recent or active students Calgary Flying Club

Post by shamrock104 »

what would you like to know

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

It's busy, the planes seem decent, analog gauges and they even have a conventional gear plane for starting out on.

The only thing I don't like quite a bit is getting stuck waiting while on the clock. Even if I had anything bad to say I'd post it publicly. I like it there.

Oh, the pool table is gone so that's about the worst part.

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by knackebrod »

Thank you for the response beefitarian. Is it busy sometimes or most of the times?

shamrock104: just the things current/recent students like or dislike. Things that were different then they imagined. Good or bad. Nothing specific.

Prairie Highway
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Prairie Highway »

Beefitarian wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:44 pm
Oh, the pool table is gone so that's about the worst part.

It is a shame about the pool table. Thankfully the person responsible for its demise is no longer involved in the club. :D

I've been involved with the CFC on and off for about ten years, first as a student, and then later on in other capacities. The current general manager is doing a good job at returning the club to its roots of being a "club". Lately there is more emphasis on bringing together the local flying community than in recent years before the new GM's arrival, which is nice to see. Money is being put into the airplane upgrades, they've recently acquired a nice Citabria for tailwheel training, and a turbo Seneca for multi/IFR training. The current CFI is a great guy, with lots of experience and invaluable insight from years in the industry. There's also plenty of room upstairs at the club to study, with great views of the mountains, and I found that beneficial during my training.

As Beefitarian alluded to, unless I misunderstood, a downside to CFC and CYBW in general is that it can be quite busy, and on a weekend morning it is common to be stuck in a line for the run-up bay and departure. That said, due to their location right along Taxiway A, taxi times for a departure on 35 or 08 are quite short.

That's my $0.02

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Traffic can definitely be an issue at Springbank,not just with CFC but any flying out of there. Waiting in line for take-off or being told the circuit is full, etc. Maybe not too bad in a C172 but if you are planning multi-engine training it can really start adding up.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Sorry for the late response. It's just busy most of the time. I would do a course for a license there.

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by knackebrod »

Thanks all.

dontsink
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dontsink »

Looking at doing my instructors rating at Springbank. How are the current Class 1's they have teaching at CFC?

Return to “Flight Training”