Lancair ES type certificate ---Help Needed

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Lancair ES type certificate ---Help Needed

Post by star57 »

Greetings, I have purchased a Lancair ES, its one of the few with two doors, I need someone that has 10 hours on type and is a Commercial pilot.
The aircraft is a fine piece, Continental IO550N, it has the Garmin G900X, Synthetic Vision, and Active traffic TTSN < 400 hours.

As per TC I need a type rating according to Standard 421 Appendix A (LC25), I will fly the Aircraft to a location wherever you may be or you fly here at my expense, I will pay you as well for your time, a fee to be agreed upon.
Please note that a Lancair IV is not the same
I have discussed this at length with current and former TC people, and the above is not negotiable with TC here in Calgary.
If you can assist please contact me at 403 383-6161 or via E-Mail frank@startech.ca
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Lancair ES type certificate ---Help Needed

Post by PilotDAR »

Check your PM's Star....

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by star57 »

PilotDAR wrote:Check your PM's Star....
Thanks Jim, I had reached out to him, called again

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Interesting that TC is being so picky about "on type". TC in Ontario was satisfied with a commercial pilot with turbine time for me to get my high performance (Cessna TTX).

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cessna TTX needs a type rating? Based on which criterion? I can’t see it in the list in the CARs.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by star57 »

photofly wrote:Cessna TTX needs a type rating? Based on which criterion? I can’t see it in the list in the CARs.
The TTX evolved from the Columbia 400/350/300 and from the experimental Lancair ES, I have requested an exception and let a local ES pilot train me and do the recomend.
That wasn’t acceptable so the next plan is to go to the US and train the with a LOBO CFI.

Well the rules are the rules!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The lancair is listed in 421 Appendix A.

“high-performance aeroplane, with respect to a rating, means

(a) an aeroplane that is specified in the minimum flight crew document as requiring only one pilot and that has a maximum speed (Vne) of 250 KIAS or greater or a stall speed (Vso) of 80 KIAS or greater, or
(b) an amateur-built aeroplane that has a wing loading greater than that specified in section 549.103 of the Airworthiness Manual; (avion à hautes performances)”

The TTX isn’t amateur-built, has a Vne of 230KIAS and stalls clean at 73. There’s no way it meets the criteria for high performance requiring a type rating. I was asking Broken Slinky why TC thought otherwise.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

They requested it because the horsepower was documented at more than 300HP. I couldn't find any definition of high performance using 300HP anywhere and asked for clarification. Never did get a straight answer from them. At first I thought that maybe they bumped the FAA's number of 200HP to 300HP since a lot so aircraft do exceed the 200HP mark. Also thought that maybe insurance companies were chatting with TC. They seem to through around the magic number of 300 too.
All honesty, the additional training was not of concern to me. It was lot faster than all of the previous aircraft I flew left seat in. The extra dual hours helped me keep my brain ahead of the aircraft's speed.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Broken Slinky wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:28 pm They requested it because the horsepower was documented at more than 300HP. I couldn't find any definition of high performance using 300HP anywhere and asked for clarification. Never did get a straight answer from them.
Probably because the inspector didn't know the law, pulled some random shit out of his or her arse, and didn't want to admit being wrong.

No doubt the extra dual was helpful as you point out, but I'm curious as to why it came to TC's attention in the first place? How was it that you came to ask their permission to fly something you had a licence to fly anyway?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote:Probably because the inspector didn't know the law, pulled some random shit out of his or her arse, and didn't want to admit being wrong.
Most likely answer yet. HP isn't even mentioned as a factor in the High Performance definition.

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

I have 540hp. No type rating.

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

photofly wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm How was it that you came to ask their permission to fly something you had a licence to fly anyway?
It all boiled down to me not knowing the CARs as well as I should. Contacted TC to get clarification on the "high performance" rules since I couldn't find anything. That's what set the wheels in motion.
Sort of figured it was like arguing with a police officer. Sometimes winning the fight is just not worth the reward. Besides, extra training never hurts anyone especially me.

Return to “Flight Training”