Porter Airlines YQT Base - We are hiring!

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Julie- PorterPRA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Porter Airlines YQT Base - We are hiring!

Post by Julie- PorterPRA »

We are looking to hire pilots based in YQT!

Interviews to be conducted in YQT in the near future.

Applications accepted through http://www.flyporter.com/pilots

For any questions please contact pilotrecruitment@flyporter.com
Porter_Pilot_Recruitment_ads_Like_1200x627.jpg
We are looking to hire pilots based in YQT!
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Porter Airlines YQT Base - We are hiring!

Post by HansDietrich »

I'm curious, how come Porter didn't start a YWG base instead? Thunder Bay seems a little "small", doesn't it? Winnipeg would make more sense, especially if you want to start operating flights toward Saskatchewan or even Alberta. On top of that, lots of pilots working in Winnipeg for Calm Air / Perimeter that would probably make the move to Porter if the base were there.

Das ist mir wurst...
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Seriously Hans? Well for starters, they don't fly to YWG, so what kind of airline manager crack are you smoking? I don't know if anyone else shares your feeling about opening pilot bases somewhere you don't fly. Interesting strategy, maybe pitch this on shark tank. :lol:

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

montado wrote:Seriously Hans? Well for starters, they don't fly to YWG, so what kind of airline manager crack are you smoking? I don't know if anyone else shares your feeling about opening pilot bases somewhere you don't fly. Interesting strategy, maybe pitch this on shark tank. :lol:
Relax there champ. You're going to have a stroke. I consider Porter a serious airline and like all airlines, expansion and new routes are always an option. I'm not sure what is so far fetched here to start a base in Winnipeg. Your comment makes it seem like I was suggesting starting a base in Papua New Guinea. Winnipeg is a large city and not too far from T-Bay. Starting a base out of Winnipeg would open up Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, Thompson MB (not that anyone would want to go there) not to mention possibilities of going to Minneapolis, etc.

It was just a question. You must be a tons of fun at parties... I'm having one this weekend. Wanna come?

Das ist mir wurst...
Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am You must be a tons of fun at parties... I'm having one this weekend. Wanna come?
You know it's going to be a great party when you invite people you clearly don't like to it because no one else will show up.... so where's my invite?

YWG clearly isn't in Porters expansion plans yet. The YQT basing is purely a retention & attraction for pilots play, good move by Porter IMO. Plenty of pilots in YQT who'd much prefer to stay there rather than move south to the expensive suck hole of Toronto. Perhaps YWG will figure into play if/when Porter gets the C-series, but for now, YQT-YWG is already serviced by AC express, Encore, Bearskin, Perimeter and whoever else, I highly doubt the numbers are there to have yet another airline on that route.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am
montado wrote:Seriously Hans? Well for starters, they don't fly to YWG, so what kind of airline manager crack are you smoking? I don't know if anyone else shares your feeling about opening pilot bases somewhere you don't fly. Interesting strategy, maybe pitch this on shark tank. :lol:
Relax there champ. You're going to have a stroke. I consider Porter a serious airline and like all airlines, expansion and new routes are always an option. I'm not sure what is so far fetched here to start a base in Winnipeg. Your comment makes it seem like I was suggesting starting a base in Papua New Guinea. Winnipeg is a large city and not too far from T-Bay. Starting a base out of Winnipeg would open up Saskatoon, Regina, Calgary, Thompson MB (not that anyone would want to go there) not to mention possibilities of going to Minneapolis, etc.

It was just a question. You must be a tons of fun at parties... I'm having one this weekend. Wanna come?

Is the party called “Dash Trash”. Would love to come by and party but honestly I only chill with Jet pilot sorry./s Hey my post was meant to be light hearted :) of course porter is a serious airline I just think before you talk pilot base at a city you would at least have scheduled flights there first.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am

I have been wondering the same thing. Rumours are that Winnipeg - Thunder Bay does not have enough traffic to make this a viable move, unless it goes indeed accompanied with more expansion somewhere else, and have a real stand alone base in Winnipeg instead of a satellite base that highly depends on traffic to/from the main base(s).

But if they are looking for pilots, they'd be swamped if the open something in CYWG. With the right pay and conditions of course.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

A bit off topic but will this pilot hiring frenzy at places like porter and other regionals in canada continue for another year or two?

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

When are bases assigned during the hiring process? Before, during, after ground school and training? Can you accept the job based on the condition that you are at a certain base or would they tell you to pound sand?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

marakii wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm A bit off topic but will this pilot hiring frenzy at places like porter and other regionals in canada continue for another year or two?
No - it'll all be over on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 1100GMT. If you're not on at Air Canada by then, well, it's rubber dog sh!t out of Hong Kong for the rest of your career..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:47 am
marakii wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 pm A bit off topic but will this pilot hiring frenzy at places like porter and other regionals in canada continue for another year or two?
No - it'll all be over on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 1100GMT. If you're not on at Air Canada by then, well, it's rubber dog sh!t out of Hong Kong for the rest of your career..
The level of talent on this site, simply fascinating.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

^ Dude, if I could tell the future, I'd be buying lottery tickets and picking stocks..

Somewhere in here, there's a thread on retirement #s; that will tell the tale, IMO. Once the hiring at the top end stops, then everything else will contract, and we'll be back to the days of two years on the ramp. Another couple of years, unless there's an economic shake-up, and then all bets are off...

Course, the appetite for pilots down south could lead to the mythical "giving green cards to pilots" that has been talked about over the years of my career. I used to think that the pilot shortage was bs, and then this year happened, so green cards might yet happen..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

https://tvo.org/article/current-affairs ... hunder-bay

Speculation on route expansion from T-Bay.

Last edited by dhc# on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Still waiting for that Winnipeg base! You'll get swamped with pilots if you open one!

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

If Porter ever started YQT-YWG skeds, I could see interest by pilots from Manitoba & west in working for Porter even to a YQT base if their commuting policy would allow it.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Can anyone share what the schedules are like for a yqt based pilot? What are the pairings like out of there?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:12 pm Still waiting for that Winnipeg base! You'll get swamped with pilots if you open one!
I believe it's passengers that airlines try to attract.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:12 pm Still waiting for that Winnipeg base! You'll get swamped with pilots if you open one!
I believe it's passengers that airlines try to attract.
At the moment their biggest hurdle seems to be finding pilots. Lots of passengers in Winnipeg as well. Might be getting competitive with the EIC group based there, but it's not that farfetched.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

indieadventurer wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:40 pm Can anyone share what the schedules are like for a yqt based pilot? What are the pairings like out of there?
Bump

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

I spoke to a PlaneSense pilot one day. He said they often open an Orlando base, hire a bunch of pilots, then close the base.
Not saying Porter would do that, but it happens.
https://www.planesense.com/careers/open ... y-captains

Return to “Porter Airlines”