EVA Air hits pole YYZ

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

EVA Air hits pole YYZ

Post by JasonE »

Friend of mine sent these pics to me. EVA Air hit a pole leaving de-icing Dec 2nd, loaded 777 headed for Taiwan. No injuries but looks like an expensive repair!

---------- ADS -----------

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: EVA Air hits pole YYZ

Post by atphat »

imagine that gut wrenching sound

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Slat, wing, wing-tip... Damn, that's gonna be a pricey one.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Bit of turtle wax and it'll buff right out ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Does anyone know how the pole is?

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Crew argued they hadn't hit anything. And was also warned by iceman in advance they weren't on the centreline
I'll try to find the link to the audio

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I'd imagine just the cost to send a Boeing engineer for an estimate is more than my Piper is worth!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

That pole was connected to some powerful people. They better sleep with one eye open.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

I would venture to say that the most expensive part of this whole event will be the downtime of the aircraft.
If these machines aren't making you money... ....they are costing you money!!

I saw the aircraft the day after the occurrence. It looked like the front spar had been accessed for inspection.
It won't be simple, that's for sure.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

I was wondering if it did spar damage, not to mention the loads transferred to other parts of the wing. Can you put a new wing on? Someone's insurance rates are going up for this one.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

whistlerboy02 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm Crew argued they hadn't hit anything. And was also warned by iceman in advance they weren't on the centreline
I'll try to find the link to the audio

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

Thanks GvyAir for posting audio
Here is a comment from another forum
" It's that Eva didnt bother to line up right. Those pads are wide enough for a a380 to go through without hitting the poles. The pads utilize the MARS concept that allows two narrow bodies to be tandem on the pad when a large aircraft is not present. From what happened to Eva, they though that instead of going straight down the middle, they could use the the lane that is for the smaller planes and then hit the pole."

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Thanks for posting the link. It is pretty damning for the crew.
They were advised ahead of time that they were not lined up correctly and proceeded anyway.
They then denied that they hit anything (obviously you can't feel to much in a machine of that size)
I would have loved to hear what was said on the discreet frequency. After that, what do you tell your passengers? :shock:
The visibility that day was below 100 feet. Not an excuse, but certainly a factor.

As far as replacing the wing. I don't think that will be required.
Even if the spar is damaged, Boeing will be able to engineer a custom repair.

I wouldn't worry too much about transferring loads. If you've never seen it, watch this test video of the wing assembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

DH82EH wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 am Thanks for posting the link. It is pretty damning for the crew.
They were advised ahead of time that they were not lined up correctly and proceeded anyway.
They then denied that they hit anything (obviously you can't feel to much in a machine of that size)
I would have loved to hear what was said on the discreet frequency. After that, what do you tell your passengers? :shock:
The visibility that day was below 100 feet. Not an excuse, but certainly a factor.

As far as replacing the wing. I don't think that will be required.
Even if the spar is damaged, Boeing will be able to engineer a custom repair.

I wouldn't worry too much about transferring loads. If you've never seen it, watch this test video of the wing assembly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai2HmvAXcU0
I don’t think they would be taxing to the deice pad if visibility was below 100 feet

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Obviously they were unware of the wingspan restriction for the route they chose. There is something to be said about staying in the middle on your route for ground operations under normal circumstances. If presented with multiple options, why not stay in the middle unless known circumstances dictate otherwise, especially at night. It might prevent an engine on an airliner or a wingtip from hitting something. It is even more applicable for aircraft like this where you can't even see the wingtip.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”