Crossfit health issues?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Crossfit health issues?

Post by makmoco »

i just wonder how many pilots do regular crossfit and if they have had any health issues (more specifically heart problems) or the opposite (improving health) with this type of training. I've done crossfit a while ago and liked the type of training, so much that I'm considering starting again. However, keeping Health in mind, at this point I don't know if it could be counterproductive and probably even mess up my medicals later on.

I know that weight training is helpful for blood pressure, but any thoughts on this?
---------- ADS -----------

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Crossfit health issues?

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Uhh, are you really asking if working out is good or bad for you??

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:35 pm Uhh, are you really asking if working out is good or bad for you??
I'm asking if intense training can be detrimental to heart health.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

That's a good question because I think it has a lot to do with your baseline of cardiovascular fitness. If you are sedentary, and pound out a crossfit session, you may be at higher risk for an MI. Every year you hear about the risk of activities like shoveling snow. People go outside with little to no warm-up, then exert themselves at a high level and have a major coronary event.

"the optimal level of exercise for preventing CHD is unclear. In some studies, the reduction in risk from increased levels of activity appeared to be linear up to a certain level above which there was no further benefit; in others, the effect was restricted to the highest categories of total energy expenditure."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... cle/195439

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

makmoco wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 pm
SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:35 pm Uhh, are you really asking if working out is good or bad for you??

Unless you're a complete mess, or are an idiot, no, crossfit is good for you.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:34 pm
makmoco wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Unless you're a complete mess, or are an idiot, no, crossfit is good for you.
You can follow the idea that exercise is good, but too much of everything is as well true. Since its High interval training and intense (thats the idea) It would be interesting to know if someone can talk from experience. Prob athletes (not specifically crossfitters) around here. I'm just being precise on this because of the medical examinations and requirements we pilots have to comply with.

Found this quotes on articles:

"According to researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago and Kaiser Permanente, white men in particular who exercise at high intensities are 86 per cent more likely to develop plaque buildup in their arteries than those who exercise at low intensities."

"Another study also found that young men who engaged in endurance exercise for more than five hours a week may up their risk of developing an irregular heart beat later in life by 19 per cent compared to men who only did less than one hour a week."

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Dude, those same studies say drinking a glass of red wine or eating chocolate is good for you, a few months later they say it will give you cancer, a few months later it will help cure cancer, etc.

Just use some common sense, if you're maxing yourself out every day, you shouldn't need a study to say that's a bad idea, again if you're a working pilot you should be smart enough to figure these things out.

I'd say do a hour or so crossfit class every other day and you'll probably be in the best shape of your life, ALSO eat well.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

Thanks for orbiting around the same question with no useful answer from little analysis or known facts. Btw, you can do high intensity and no max out.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

looproll wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:07 pm That's a good question because I think it has a lot to do with your baseline of cardiovascular fitness. If you are sedentary, and pound out a crossfit session, you may be at higher risk for an MI. Every year you hear about the risk of activities like shoveling snow. People go outside with little to no warm-up, then exert themselves at a high level and have a major coronary event.

"the optimal level of exercise for preventing CHD is unclear. In some studies, the reduction in risk from increased levels of activity appeared to be linear up to a certain level above which there was no further benefit; in others, the effect was restricted to the highest categories of total energy expenditure."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... cle/195439
Indeed thats a good example. Of course overweight also affects the impact of the exercise on your body, when people start doing exercise right away, not in a progressive manner, It will have side effects later in life.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

makmoco wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 pm i just wonder how many pilots do regular crossfit and if they have had any health issues (more specifically heart problems) or the opposite (improving health) with this type of training. I've done crossfit a while ago and liked the type of training, so much that I'm considering starting again. However, keeping Health in mind, at this point I don't know if it could be counterproductive and probably even mess up my medicals later on.

I know that weight training is helpful for blood pressure, but any thoughts on this?
I just got back into the box after a two-year layoff (wasn't completely inactive, though..) and I'm slowly working back up to my max. MY MAX. - I'm not 25 any more, and I'm not going to the games, and while I push when and where I can, there's no need for me to redline at every possible opportunity.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

North Shore wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:59 pm
makmoco wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 pm i just wonder how many pilots do regular crossfit and if they have had any health issues (more specifically heart problems) or the opposite (improving health) with this type of training. I've done crossfit a while ago and liked the type of training, so much that I'm considering starting again. However, keeping Health in mind, at this point I don't know if it could be counterproductive and probably even mess up my medicals later on.

I just got back into the box after a two-year layoff (wasn't completely inactive, though..) and I'm slowly working back up to my max. MY MAX. - I'm not 25 any more, and I'm not going to the games, and while I push when and where I can, there's no need for me to redline at every possible opportunity.
I agree with you, at least with crossfit or any other hardcore sport, the correct approach would be to do it at low-medium intensity. A friend of mine told me she was working out a lot when she was young (a lot but not as heavy) for taekwondo competition and now shes starting to have symptoms of arrhythmia. It could be even something genetic but who knows.
I'm a workout enthusiastic but at this stage I'm starting to double check everything.

AF1000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AF1000 »

I train 5-6 days a week at a Box. I love it. I try to compete as often as I can. My diet is one of the most important aspects of my life (I take my six pack fitness lunch bag on the road with me religiously). I follow the Paleo diet (as do many others that compete/train at the box) and I don’t experience any kind of health issues besides muscle fatigue. I counteract the muscle fatigue/soreness by a solid warmup before and a long cool down after followed by some good stretching and rolling. Invest in the Nike roller, it’s awesome!

Welcome back!

AF

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Are you a CPL? Are you in a professional career right now? I'm just having a hard time understanding how this is even a question, or how you don't get this.

I fly sick people all the time, tons of MIs and the like, the majority, as in like 99.9% of have the physique of a tub of goo, I have NEVER flown a fit person for a heart issue, shy of something heavily drug induced.

Most crossfit places have trainers you can pay a little more for, they will tailor a program for you and your goals, go that route. Legit crossfit is probably one of the best programs you can do, way better than just pumping weights.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 am Are you a CPL? Are you in a professional career right now? I'm just having a hard time understanding how this is even a question, or how you don't get this.

I fly sick people all the time, tons of MIs and the like, the majority, as in like 99.9% of have the physique of a tub of goo, I have NEVER flown a fit person for a heart issue, shy of something heavily drug induced.

Most crossfit places have trainers you can pay a little more for, they will tailor a program for you and your goals, go that route. Legit crossfit is probably one of the best programs you can do, way better than just pumping weights.
I see you still don't get the point (several times by now). If you have such a hard time understanding simple things do not involve.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

AF1000 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:27 pm I train 5-6 days a week at a Box. I love it. I try to compete as often as I can. My diet is one of the most important aspects of my life (I take my six pack fitness lunch bag on the road with me religiously). I follow the Paleo diet (as do many others that compete/train at the box) and I don’t experience any kind of health issues besides muscle fatigue. I counteract the muscle fatigue/soreness by a solid warmup before and a long cool down after followed by some good stretching and rolling. Invest in the Nike roller, it’s awesome!

Welcome back!

AF
Great AF, thanks for the first hand information, thats exactly what I'm looking forward to do.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

makmoco wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:32 am
SuperchargedRS wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 am Are you a CPL? Are you in a professional career right now? I'm just having a hard time understanding how this is even a question, or how you don't get this.

I see you still don't get the point (several times by now). If you have such a hard time understanding simple things do not involve.
Well you never had a point to make, I know as a kid people told you there was no such thing as a stupid question, however this topic clearly illustrates that was a lie.

No, working out, especially something like crossfit, is good for you.

This is common sense.

Lots of things you can lack as a pilot, many you can get away with for a whole career, common sense is not one of those things.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

SuperchargedRS you have to learn how to read and comprehend. Basic skills, I expected better from you.

Once again you are drifting out of topic. Please stay on topic since I will not take your depreciation of the post further down the road. You don't like it, don't post on it,this is for users who Know and are interested in the subject.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

makmoco wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 am SuperchargedRS you have to learn how to read and comprehend. Basic skills, I expected better from you.

Once again you are drifting out of topic. Please stay on topic since I will not take your depreciation of the post further down the road. You don't like it, don't post on it,this is for users who Know and are interested in the subject.
Really?

Dude, pretend for a second I didnt read your other posts

I'm off topic?

The topic was is working out (crossfit) bad for your health :rolleyes:

I commented that not only is ity NOT bad for your health, its GOOD for you [insert common sense].

But hey, as someone how was just asking about taking their CPL written and radio exam, you probably know better than a ATP pilot working in EMS lol

$5 and a beer says your folks are paying for all of your training.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

"The truest characters of ignorance are vanity and pride and arrogance." Samuel Butler

You remind me of that quote.

Btw, please pay in CAD$.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

So youre paying 100% out of your own pocket?

Just based on your questions, I have a heck of a time believing you could come up with 80-100k for training yourself.

Return to “Health & Fitness”