What kind of watch do you wear?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What kind of watch do you wear?

Post by Jet Jockey »

xchox wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm 1) As a previous owner of a real Breitling & a fake one... Always go with the fake one. Way over priced for what you get.
LMAO... Nothing could be further from the truth.

Now in my 28th year with my Breitling and all I have done to it maintenance wise is battery changes.

All well known brands of Swiss watches (jewelry) are expensive and perhaps overpriced and it is up to people to decide what they are willing to pay for their watches.

If you like to be a poser by buying cheap knock offs, so be it.

By supporting the people that make these fake watches (by buying them) you are supporting an illegal activity... It's like stealing intellectual property and that's why when customs get their hands on all these fake products, they destroy them.

In the end... to each his own.

BTW, in the mid 70s I bought what was my first "pilot watch" a Seiko chronograph styled watch... Worst watch I ever bought! Within two years it had cost me more in repairs than the price I had purchased it for ($400) so I threw it away and I will never buy another Seiko again!
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If Goose had one of these, he'd still be alive. :roll:
Yeah, he'd still be trying to figure out which indications on the face were the time!

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

xchox, what's that third watch from the left in a top row?

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

xchox wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm
6) Citizen does make good watches... but remember... 98.73% of all Seneca College Pilots wear them.
A damn sight more than that, if you want to get technical. If you're wearing a mechanical watch in the $500 to $2000 price range, sometimes greater, there's a very good chance you're wearing either an ETA or a Miyota movement. The Japanese Miyota company, owned by Citizen, or the Swiss ETA company, owned by Swatch, provide most of the mechanical movements for mid-range watches in the world. If you've got a decent mechanical watch, and it's not Swiss, you're probably wearing a Citizen. Exceptions would be Seiko, who make their own movements, and higher-end Swiss watches.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Zaibatsu

"Anyone else ever tire after pulling their phone from their pocket for the hundredth time only to have a mind fck when it’s hopped three time zones? No thanks. "

Mine sits in the holder that used to be where the ashtrays were. Pretty easy to check, and have all the time zones set up for where I usually go. Need access my schedule, check pax load, check in for a DH, its all there next to me. Like the best pocket watch in the world.

Complexintions

"As much as I want to be a pretentious hipster as the next guy, in both my present and previous employer the FOM stipulates that all flight crew and all cabin crew must wear a wristwatch on duty at all times.

Something about airlines having schedules or some such shit. "

Funny, our FOM says nothing about wearing a wrist watch. Pocket watch was good enough for train conductors, think an IPhone will be fine for keeping a schedule, but if you feel the need for some bling on your wrist fill you boots, but it is hardly necessary.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I tend to miss the countless e-mails and phone calls when I'm on the ramp or talking to passengers so against x's non-smartwatch advice I opted for a hybrid smartwatch not so much for the fitness but the connectivity.

My Garmin Vivomove HR gives me date, time, weather and lasts up to 2 weeks (busy weeks 5 days between 2 hour charges) with a rechargeable battery. 250 CAD and it doesn't look like your typical Samsung/Apple smartwatch.

S.

https://goo.gl/images/Q7Yxsh

https://goo.gl/images/GGJXXJ

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

xchox wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm My daily flight go to however is...
Someone has an addiction!

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I don't know... I think it's lacking in tick marks, dashes, and numbers. There is still more room... moooore numberssss.
Hockaloogie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 pm
concorde88 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 pmCitizen blue angel Edition.

If Goose had one of these, he'd still be alive. :roll:

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

FICU wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:59 pmI don't know... I think it's lacking in tick marks, dashes, and numbers. There is still more room... moooore numberssss.
When you're sweating it out on a tough one, it's comforting to be able to look down at your wrist and instantly know everything you need...

NorOntair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NorOntair »

Jet Jockey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 am
xchox wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:30 pm 1) As a previous owner of a real Breitling & a fake one... Always go with the fake one. Way over priced for what you get.
LMAO... Nothing could be further from the truth.

Now in my 28th year with my Breitling and all I have done to it maintenance wise is battery changes.

All well known brands of Swiss watches (jewelry) are expensive and perhaps overpriced and it is up to people to decide what they are willing to pay for their watches.

If you like to be a poser by buying cheap knock offs, so be it.

By supporting the people that make these fake watches (by buying them) you are supporting an illegal activity... It's like stealing intellectual property and that's why when customs get their hands on all these fake products, they destroy them.

In the end... to each his own.

BTW, in the mid 70s I bought what was my first "pilot watch" a Seiko chronograph styled watch... Worst watch I ever bought! Within two years it had cost me more in repairs than the price I had purchased it for ($400) so I threw it away and I will never buy another Seiko again!
Breitlings are shit. IMO You're both idiots for buying one in the first place. Overpriced for what you get. If your gonna be dropping that kinda coin... Far better options out there.

NorOntair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by NorOntair »

dpm wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:47 pm My choice is my late dad's old Timex analogue watch with a second hand. As a bonus, it doesn't make me look like I'm desperate to be recognised as a pilot at social events.
Respect!

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

He also thinks Seiko is bad. You're not dealing with the brightest bulb here.

FltLvl190
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FltLvl190 »

Jet Jockey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:47 am BTW, in the mid 70s I bought what was my first "pilot watch" a Seiko chronograph styled watch... Worst watch I ever bought! Within two years it had cost me more in repairs than the price I had purchased it for ($400) so I threw it away and I will never buy another Seiko again!
You may have gotten a fake, or the one in a million bad batch. I swear by Seiko. And I recommend to the OP to check out Seiko's line. I wouldn't go for a Grand Seiko, but browse. I have smashed mine a thousand times and It's beyond accurate and still water tight. Albeit... Looking like shit. I really should replace the bezel and crystal. Looks like this: (Not my watch, just to show how beat mine is)

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

FltLvl190 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm I wouldn't go for a Grand Seiko, but browse.
I would! Oh dear, the spring drive Grand Seiko "Snowflake" is one of the most desirable watches I've ever seen. What a beautiful, understated triumph of craftsmanship is that watch! What it says about the wearer! It's so beautiful, elegant, subtle... You could pass unscathed through the most sophisticated douchebag-detector known to man with that lovely instrument. An example of it should be on the next extrasolar probe, to tell aliens about how we humans perceive the passage of time, and how we can make beautiful things. I am about to start crying just thinking about that watch.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Hockaloogie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 pmIf Goose had one of these, he'd still be alive. :roll:
Goose did have one, that's why the canopy hit him. He had his head down trying to read the tiny numbers as he tried to work out safe ejection speeds...

I had a Promaster Navihawk, which is the same as the Blue Angels one but with a black face and gold/silver coloured plating around the bezel and watch strap. It was a nice watch, up until the indicator hand that shows what the watch is doing decided to jump. Getting it fixed was going to cost as much as a new watch, so I stopped wearing it and bought a watch that wasn't going to break.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Zaibatsu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:33 am Anyone else ever tire after pulling their phone from their pocket for the hundredth time only to have a mind fck when it’s hopped three time zones? No thanks.
Why would you be checking the time so much? I would also be expecting a time zone change as I arrive in a different time zone.

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

Since the battery on my watch died, I've been using my iPhone as it has become an attachment. Now I don't have anything on either hand except my wedding band.

LOL

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

All you need...

They're around $15 on Amazon.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

There's sure is a lot of condescending posts in this thread.. who cares if someone likes to own and wear a nice watch? What's it to you?

Nothing wrong with a casio, gshock, timex etc. I own a few. But I also own nicer watches purely because I feel like it. One could say why buy an Audi or BMW? A 90's Corolla surely gets you from point A to B the same, does it not? I guess when you have 3 ex wives to pay alimony to......

Then again, some of the cheapest people I know are pilots so it makes sense why half of you don't understand why some might want a high end watch or car.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Black_Tusk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 pm There's sure is a lot of condescending posts in this thread.. who cares if someone likes to own and wear a nice watch? What's it to you?

Nothing wrong with a casio, gshock, timex etc. I own a few. But I also own nicer watches purely because I feel like it. One could say why buy an Audi or BMW? A 90's Corolla surely gets you from point A to B the same, does it not? I guess when you have 3 ex wives to pay alimony to......

Then again, some of the cheapest people I know are pilots so it makes sense why half of you don't understand why some might want a high end watch or car.
LOL... I couldn't agree more!

Return to “General Comments”