A President’s Message and a must read

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: A President’s Message and a must read

Post by eyebrow737 »

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 pm
SuperchargedRS wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:05 pm Lol, "education" you mean you're be more impressed with a applicant with a masters in lesbian dance theory, than someone with EXPERINCE?? Also living in a college down, making it through flight training and into that first job is far more impressive than most of the graduate programs I see, even from the higher end private universities.

Reminds me of those third world countries who are all about rank and uniforms and "flair", but EXPERINCE isn't that big of a deal.
Completion of a college or university degree implies that one is hardworking and capable of seeing through a large and difficult commitment. Furthermore, it implies that one is a strong learner. It also entails learning how to communicate properly using the English language. The fact that your post contains several spelling and grammatical errors detracts strongly from the point you are trying to convey. I do not mean to be rude, but what you have written cannot be taken seriously in its current form.
You went to University? You know words? You have the best words?

Considering that you are on a pilot forum, putting down people without degrees considering most pilots don't have one, sure shows that you were not taught any common sense.
---------- ADS -----------

LCflyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LCflyguy »

I also applied and I far exceed the Captain qualifications, never heard a thing either.....Thats a pretty cheeky column he wrote though, asking their customers to petition against the safety of our industry :shock:

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 am
The comment about you possibly having a PhD was more to do with the "I'm not calling you stupid" part of the sentence, not about your worth as a person.
Your comment about PhDs is incorrect. A PhD is a 4 to 6+ year graduate degree requiring you to produce novel research in your field of study, culminating in a 100+ page thesis, which must be defended to an examination committee of 3 or 4 professors knowledgeable of your research. I know this for a fact because I was a PhD candidate at one point in my life. I'm not going to talk about why that didn't work out, but nevertheless, you are wrong.

It's clear we have very different views on tertiary education and I don't want to derail this thread further, so let's just end it here. Have a good evening.
Oh boy, you actually think a degree indicates intelligence? I mean it proves you're not like a paint chip eating idiot, but that's about it, if you have the money and the time and put in a half arse effort you can get about any degree you want.

As for the "peer review" yeah those "peers" are 90% just part of the self licking ice cream cone of education, they have never done anything outside of academia, they are talking reviewing ideas that they only know about from books and from their professors who probably never actually worked the said field ether.

I'll take the word of a man who's actually done the work with a "lesser" degree over that of a double PHD academic.

BTW some of the most comfy living people I know went to 2 year or under trade school and started their own business, one guy has like 8-10 welding trucks rolling around job sites, he spot checks their work, bids jobs, but spends most of his time skydiving, tossing money around and living life up, like me he has a few toys, nice house, all paid for free and clear, most of the PHDs I know around here are renters.

Last edited by SuperchargedRS on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Who will be the better pilot, someone who has sat in a class room for ten years or someone who has flown an airplane for a living for ten years?

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

C.W.E. wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am Who will be the better pilot, someone who has sat in a class room for ten years or someone who has flown an airplane for a living for ten years?
Depends on the person not the experience or education

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am
C.W.E. wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 am Who will be the better pilot, someone who has sat in a class room for ten years or someone who has flown an airplane for a living for ten years?

:lol:

Dude, are you drunk?

So depending on the person the guy who sat in a classroom for 10 years is going to out fly the guy with 10 years EXPERINCE behind the stick? Wow...hey I got some prime real estate in Florida I'll sell ya if too lol

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

CdnPilotsalary wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:02 pm Could it be that they are simply creating a bank of qualified applicants, for when they begin link operations? There have been weekly PASCO postings for a while now. Has anybody actually started the evaluation process?

I talked to some colleagues today. We determined we know 6 people who also applied for PASCO. 4 had ATPL's and the other two were just short. Only one of the guys got a call and he had 1400 hours, did a phone interview and never heard back. Shortly after he was hired to fly a Q.

So, just on this basis. 4 confirmed here. 6 others that I know of. Thats at least 10 qualified pilots applying and only one guy got a call.

I call bullshit on this PASCO propaganda. This is the same type of shit Georgian and Bearskin are pumping out to CBC. Oh we cant find pilots, its because they might change the fatigue regulations. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pilot-s ... -1.4451976

We need a strong voice in the media, they will fool the general public with this shit.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:36 am
AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am

:lol:

Dude, are you drunk?

So depending on the person the guy who sat in a classroom for 10 years is going to out fly the guy with 10 years EXPERINCE behind the stick? Wow...hey I got some prime real estate in Florida I'll sell ya if too lol

I am saying that there are a lot of really bad pilots out there with 10 years of experience and a lot of bad pilots that are newer but have uni. Same for great pilots, same for OK pilots................ You talk about being a pilot like it is only about the technical skills, what about the rest of the job, what about the kind of person you are, work ethic, the list is endless. Experience is 1 item on the list so is education, neither makes you automatically better or worse.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 am I am saying that there are a lot of really bad pilots out there with 10 years of experience and a lot of bad pilots that are newer but have uni. Same for great pilots, same for OK pilots................ You talk about being a pilot like it is only about the technical skills, what about the rest of the job, what about the kind of person you are, work ethic, the list is endless. Experience is 1 item on the list so is education, neither makes you automatically better or worse.

Baaaa ha ha ha ha!

Dude, WTF does a college kiddie know about work ethic?

And 10 years as a working pilot vs 10 years in the U, guess what one is still a working pilot the other is a academic.

This industry does a decent job of weeding people out, much better than many other professions.

And it's MUCH more than tech skills, with a decade of flying under your belt you have worked the personal aspect, the financial aspect, the stick and rudder and the not being a damn kid part lol

Funny thing is the insurance industry, you know those dudes that pay for your F' ups, they tend to value experience over a degree, never had one ask about my degree, but they are sure interested in everything from my hours to my ATP to my FSI pro cards, to years in, etc.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

There is no minimum educational requirements to get a pilots license as long as you can read and write and do basic math you can pass all the tests both written and practical flying skills.

Period.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

SuperchargedRS wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am
AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 am I am saying that there are a lot of really bad pilots out there with 10 years of experience and a lot of bad pilots that are newer but have uni. Same for great pilots, same for OK pilots................ You talk about being a pilot like it is only about the technical skills, what about the rest of the job, what about the kind of person you are, work ethic, the list is endless. Experience is 1 item on the list so is education, neither makes you automatically better or worse.

Baaaa ha ha ha ha!

Dude, WTF does a college kiddie know about work ethic?

And 10 years as a working pilot vs 10 years in the U, guess what one is still a working pilot the other is a academic.

This industry does a decent job of weeding people out, much better than many other professions.

And it's MUCH more than tech skills, with a decade of flying under your belt you have worked the personal aspect, the financial aspect, the stick and rudder and the not being a damn kid part lol

Funny thing is the insurance industry, you know those dudes that pay for your F' ups, they tend to value experience over a degree, never had one ask about my degree, but they are sure interested in everything from my hours to my ATP to my FSI pro cards, to years in, etc.

OK sure, all good then. HS grad hit the flight school and start working at 20. Sort of counter the argument about this being a profession on par with others when all you need is 12 months of flight school and a bunch of time in your logbook. I think we just solved the issue of pay, less formal education than a carpenter

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm OK sure, all good then. HS grad hit the flight school and start working at 20. Sort of counter the argument about this being a profession on par with others when all you need is 12 months of flight school and a bunch of time in your logbook. I think we just solved the issue of pay, less formal education than a carpenter

Might I ask how old you are and what certificate (CPL/ATP) do you hold?

You think the only education out there comes from the college industry??

Also you really need to check your chit on the trades dude, plenty of people in carpentry and welding and other trades who make waaaay more than west jet or AC pilots, or PHDs.

If you're taking professionals
"engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.
"a professional boxer"
synonyms: paid, salaried, non-amateur, full-time"

Based off that, I'd say the more you're paid the more you can claim you're a "professional", I didn't see anything about a degree in that definition.

And I could give a rats ass if I'm not considered a "professional"' or "educated" because those titles don't put gas into my bought and paid for 185 amphib, vette, trucks, bikes, nor do they pay for my expensive single malt scotch or the Victoria secret card for my chick.

Enjoy your PHD, ramen and sloppy seconds.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

A degree is like a CPL, it's proof that you meet certain standards. There are lots of educated and intelligent people without degrees, and many highly professional pilots without a CPL, but it just makes it easier for employers if you have the bit of paper proving it.

One of the people posting here was thrown out of his aviation college program, which perhaps clouds his attitude.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm A degree is like a CPL, it's proof that you meet certain standards. There are lots of educated and intelligent people without degrees, and many highly professional pilots without a CPL, but it just makes it easier for employers if you have the bit of paper proving it.

One of the people posting here was thrown out of his aviation college program, which perhaps clouds his attitude.

Yes that was me, and had that been in the states I'd have filed a suit against that scamming chit hole.

Should also be mentioned that the same guy had a college degree when he was 18, which he got during the same time he was a working full time and also a volunteer fire fighter.

Who is now a well paid ATP, so yeah, good thing they washed my ass out lol, actually I'd love to compare paychecks with the hacks who ran that program.

Money talks and BS walks.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well there is one sure way to bring a bit more credibility to this discussion.

I left school after grade eight.

That meant I could read and write which allowed me to self educate myself in the profession I chose to work in which was aviation.

I spent fifty one years working as a pilot, mechanic and had a very successful career and by the end of my career I wouldn't even consider going to work for less than a thousand dollars a day.

Another interesting thing is I worked for some of the biggest businesses in the world and was never ever asked about my education or if I even had any.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Buuuut that's impossible cat, you didn't have a degree :lol:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Isn't that amazing.

Lets see what the educated members of this group have to say about how I could possibly been successful without a degree. :prayer:

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm Another interesting thing is I worked for some of the biggest businesses in the world and was never ever asked about my education or if I even had any.
I think those days are long gone if you want to work in the 705 world.

I think I’ll take the safe balanced opinion. Education is good, experience is good.

But I’m Grrrrrreat! Hire me.

-Tony

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm
Isn't that amazing.

Lets see what the educated members of this group have to say about how I could possibly been successful without a degree. :prayer:
You're old. Sorry man that's it. Different times now. BTW so am I

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Jesus christ. This thread was going so well before it diverged into a dick measuring contest riddled with grammar and spelling errors.

Return to “General Comments”