Category 1 AME renewal - color blind

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

charlie_lili
Rank 0
Rank 0

Category 1 AME renewal - color blind

Post by charlie_lili »

Hello guys,

I'm French and about 10 years ago, I got a Canadian cat. 1 medical visit in France. I passed it but I got a restriction to only day flight due to color blindness.

I'm now living in Canada, with a different job and career but with same aero passion (and an LSA license). I got an optometric test few months ago for classic lenses renewal, and the optometrist tested also my color vision with the plates with colored dots.
The result was a bit confusing: "you are hesitating on some plates, but for me you're not color blind, or not a lot, you're good"

What da hell! :oops:

So few weeks ago I scheduled a new Cat 1 AME medical visit here in Canada, just to try, and I passed... without any restriction. Still the plates test with the dots and I passed it.

So here is my question: if I get the precious paper "you're good to go" from TC, how I can be sure to not fail the test during a future AME renewal?
I don't want to be in a situation after 2, 4 or even 12 years of commercial pilot career with an AME telling me: "well, you were good to go for the passed years but today you failed the color test so I can't renew your license" :shock: :shock: You know what I mean?

Can you tell me if color vision is reviewed during each renewal?
Any advices?

Thanks a lot!
---------- ADS -----------

steve_10509
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Category 1 AME renewal - color blind

Post by steve_10509 »

Hey man. I'm minimally colorblind and I'm an airline pilot. I fail the circle dots book test everytime. But, transport Canada accepts two alternate tests. One is a lantern test, and the other is called the Farnsworth d15. Depending on the lighting situation during the test, you could fail or pass if you're borderline. I originally had a daytime restriction on my medical, but I went to an optometrist and did the Farnsworth d15. They faxed the results to transport Canada and I got an unrestricted medical right away. They'll test your color vision at every yearly medical. My doc knows my situation so I do the color plates test, and I fail it he just writes Farnsworth d15 on my report. Transport Canada has it on file. I've never come across an aviation doctor who has the d15 test though. I originally was told I couldn't be a pilot by my first aviation doctor 12 years ago. I spent hours and hours digging through transport Canada medical requirements so I'm somewhat of an expert when it comes to color vision tests and TC.

dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

Colour blindness never changes. Did colour lantern test40 yrs ago. It used to be only done at military bases. I never do the plate test.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Memorize the dot test like they did in "The right stuff" WGT the letter test LOL

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

DEFPOTEC

Boney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boney »

DON’T. Now they will change the chart. Lol

charlie_lili
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by charlie_lili »

Thank you for your advises.

I think the best solution for me is probably to pass the D-15 test and finally get rid of any possible restriction during my career.
Steve, did you have any issue piloting at night with your minimal colorblindness? With the PAPI or anything else?

I'll also watch The right Stuff, seems to be a good movie ;)

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

D15 is your best friend. As said above, everybody that is color blind has been told they couldn’t be an airline pilot by someone who doesn’t know the requirements...

www.color-blindness.com/color-arrangement-test/

Practice on multiple screens as the colours may vary. I did 15/15 on my optometrist appointment and I can barely see 2 or 3 pages on the plates book.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
JayVee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JayVee »

I too fail the coloured dots test. I failed the lantern test twice.
I was given a practical test a mile from the tower (during the day) where the controller used the light gun and I somehow was able to identify the colours. I was issued a Category 1P (P for practical) which has been good since. Transport eventually dropped the P from my medical.
That was 38 years ago. Not sure if they still do practical tests.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

The light gun test is probably the easiest for a colour blind to pass... Sadly, it's not available in Canada.

As per TC website:

"NOTE: The colour perception practical test is no longer acceptable."

CCR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CCR »

I failed the book test in 1998 following at least 12 years of passing it (always missing a few each time). I then had to go to an eye doctor who then conducted the Lantern Test. Passed with 100%. He provided me with a letter stating my success and other than my medical in Halifax where the CAME had me to the Farnsworth (passed 100%), I've never done one since. Good luck!!

charlie_lili
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by charlie_lili »

Guys...follow up

Firstly, I watched "The right stuff', and for sure it is a really funny one! Will buy the book

Secondly, I went to my optometrist and did the D-15 Farnsworth test. Got it without any mistake.
I sent it by email to TC and got my unrestricted category 1.

Can someone used the process can confirm that in the future, I will just have to come to my CAME for a renewal with a copy of this D15 test and tell that I have the same copy on file at TC? No needed to do any other color test?

Thanks!

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

If you go renew your medical to the same CAME that you went and he’s aware that you passed the D15, you won’t have to do any color test.

You simply do the other testings and that’s it. He needs to have a copy of the D15 in his file tho if you want him to sign your renewal.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

MarkyMark90 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:20 am If you go renew your medical to the same CAME that you went and he’s aware that you passed the D15, you won’t have to do any color test.

You simply do the other testings and that’s it. He needs to have a copy of the D15 in his file tho if you want him to sign your renewal.
Transport will have a copy of the D15 results on file for you. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to have a copy on file with your CAME in the event TC decides to do something funny - and have your own copy of the results as well, for the same reason.

charlie_lili
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by charlie_lili »

Thank you for all your answers. Seems that I'm good to go.
Now let's find a school around MTL.

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

is there any issue's with floaters?

kevinkang3589
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kevinkang3589 »

Does anyone know about the D15 pass result? How many mistake can I have?

Moreover, is the Martin Lantern Test still available for the color blind person to do for medical certificate?

Thanks

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Here are the Cat. 1 Colour Perception Requirement standards:
1.39 The candidate shall be required to demonstrate his ability to perceive readily those colours the perception of which is necessary for the safe performance of his duties. For this requirement, one of the following colour test plates and score shall be used. See the following "Table for Colour Perception Requirement 1.39" for requirements.
Table: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 03-177.htm
1.40 If an applicant does not qualify under para. 1.39, the applicants colour vision shall be assessed fit under this requirement if he passes a Canadian Forces or Civil Aeronautics colour perception lantern test or a Farnsworth D-15 test.
1.41 An applicant who does not qualify under paras. 1.39 or 1.40 shall be assessed as fit for a restricted Commercial Pilot Licence provided the licence is issued with the following restriction: "Valid daylight only, 2-way radio required at controlled airports". NOTE: The colour perception practical test is no longer acceptable.

cbuck1974
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cbuck1974 »

I've been told I am color blind since birth as i always fail the ishihara tests yet I just did the Farnsworth and it tells me I am not colorblind...

very confusing when I am going for my medical next week for cat 3

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

cbuck1974 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:23 pm I've been told I am color blind since birth as i always fail the ishihara tests yet I just did the Farnsworth and it tells me I am not colorblind...

very confusing when I am going for my medical next week for cat 3
Nothing to be confused about. When you go for your medical, have a copy of the Farnsworth D15 results with you and give them to the receptionist or CAME when you arrive.

As the medical exam proceeds, you will come to the vision portion - and eventually will get to the colourblindness test which is the "standard" colour plate test. At that point, remind the CAME that you have passed the D-15 and that you would like them to send the results to Transport Canada, as the D-15 is an alternate standard, blah blah blah... Depending on the CAME they'll be satisfied with the D-15 and you'll move on to the next phase of the exam, others will decide that while the D-15 may be "good enough" for Transport it isn't for them and they'll make you do the plate test anyway - which you will fail, and then carry on with the exam. :roll: Doctors...

Return to “General Comments”