Pilots who recently got hired at Air Canada Mainline without going through Air Canada Express, what was your path?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

amazon1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pilots who recently got hired at Air Canada Mainline without going through Air Canada Express, what was your path?

Post by amazon1234 »

Pilots of Westjet are also welcome to answer.

So how strong is the competition to go to these major airlines for those who don't go to Jazz, SkyRegional, Evas, Georgian, (and Encore for WS).

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Pilots who recently got hired at Air Canada Mainline without going through Air Canada Express, what was your path?

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

*eating popcorn*

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Pilots who recently got hired at Air Canada Mainline without going through Air Canada Express, what was your path?

Post by flyinhigh »

haha, this will get interesting,

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

should of posted in in the AC section. curious to know if these people had degrees/aviation college diploma.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

amazon1234 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm Pilots of Westjet are also welcome to answer.

So how strong is the competition to go to these major airlines for those who don't go to Jazz, SkyRegional, Evas, Georgian, (and Encore for WS).

Cheers
Anything in the past is irrelevant at this point. The new PMA announced a couple of weeks ago redesigned the hiring protocol at AC. This combined with a new VP Ops at AC who is far more "old school" than the past guy who was very pro education anti "a pilots pilot" will bring further changes. My guess is far less emphasis will be placed on education going forward but more on Express.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Going through the new hire bios the non-express people were a mix of military and civilian. C-17 Captains, A310 Captains, Fighter pilots, Snowbirds, etc. Sunwing 737 Captains, Overseas carrier A320 Captains, WestJet/Transat/Cargojet/First Air Boeing pilots, etc. These are the kind of people you would be on course with if hired. Most have post-secondary educations as well.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Lots of Porter and Encore captains recently as well.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am
amazon1234 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm Pilots of Westjet are also welcome to answer.

Cheers
Anything in the past is irrelevant at this point. The new PMA announced a couple of weeks ago redesigned the hiring protocol at AC. This combined with a new VP Ops at AC who is far more "old school" than the past guy who was very pro education anti "a pilots pilot" will bring further changes. My guess is far less emphasis will be placed on education going forward but more on Express.
I've heard the good things about the new VP, similar to past promising VP's. While it would make the most sense of logic to hire based on experience then education, end of the day it's the HR who sadly decide whom to hire currently, and I would imagine in the future. Sadly that translates into education over experience. Great for office peeps, not so much for flying airplanes.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Well everyone thinks that their experience is what the requirements should be. After a couple months of pouring over manuals and memorizing SOP's it becomes quite obvious that having more education doesn't hurt. For the study habits alone if nothing else.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm Well everyone thinks that their experience is what the requirements should be. After a couple months of pouring over manuals and memorizing SOP's it becomes quite obvious that having more education doesn't hurt. For the study habits alone if nothing else.
A lot of people completed that degree a decade or more ago so study habits could go from very rusty to non-existent at this point.
I think having completed several type ratings in the near past is more relevant to the ability to learn and translates exactly into the ability you need to demonstrate to get a new type rating at Air Canada. Learning derivatives in school 10 years ago didn't help me with V1 cuts or learning new SOPs, being a captain on a 705 Jet and having to do more or less the same every 6 months did help tremendously. I have yet to see how having a degree makes me a better candidate than some of the other guys that don't have one.
At the end of the day whatever you think is irrelevant, they want pilots with degrees and that's where they set the bar, tomorrow they might drop it or set another ridiculous requirement and you either tick the box or you don't get in, nobody said life was fair.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Air.Field wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:20 pm
AvifiskAlly wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am

Cheers
I've heard the good things about the new VP, similar to past promising VP's. While it would make the most sense of logic to hire based on experience then education, end of the day it's the HR who sadly decide whom to hire currently, and I would imagine in the future. Sadly that translates into education over experience. Great for office peeps, not so much for flying airplanes.
That is not really how it works. They simply have enough great applicants with both that they don't have to pick one over the other. That decision resides with Flp Ops not HR

lyrad6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lyrad6 »

4 years - Uni Degree & Flight Training
1.5 years - Instructing PPL/CPL/Multi-IFR
2.5 years - Non-express regional (705 F/O & 704 Capt)

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Many are hired with just a 2 year aviation college diploma. A degree isn’t a must, last I heard was they over a 1000 qualified resumes on file.

Return to “Employment Forum”