American Express (Premium Plaza) Lounge will now require a boarding pass

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: American Express (Premium Plaza) Lounge will now require a boarding pass

Post by mbav8r »

justwork wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:31 pm it is absolutely demented to me that a pilot would ever think they're not a scamming the system. You pay a couple hundred bucks for a CC and expect free meals. When clearly the intention is that the card be used by the travelling public not pilots who have a quick turn, every day, all the time, always.
It’s more than a couple hundred bucks, my understanding is that it’s 750.00. How many of the traveling public would pay that for a couple flights per year? Frequent flyers doing 4 or so trips might justify the cost and is not really much different than a pilot using it.
Clearly some pilots ruined it for everyone and personally I don’t really care but I think if you just renewed your membership and they decided to enforce the rules, that’s still the same as changing the rules in my eyes. Should be giving a refund
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I think justwork is referring to the additional cards you can add to your account for 200 bucks. One account, 10 cards at 750+(200x9).

It is hard to argue a refund becuase how do you put a value on the lounge access. This card has several perks such as CDW for car rental. So you could ask to be refunded but what if you rented cars for 100 days last year taking advantage of this coverage. How do you divide the value of perks? What about the bonus points on sign up? Simple answer from Amex would likely be “it’s in the terms, not our problem, they were never supposed to give access from the beginning, so maybe you owe us for abusing the privilege.”

If you no longer want the card, cancel it. But don’t fool yourself thinking you deserve a refund. Sorry, but AMEX did nothing wrong here. Sometimes you just have to admit a good thing came to an end, wash your hands and move on.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

so who did it

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Swoop

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

It's irrelevant who or what company. It was a pilot and it looks bad on ALL of us.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Rumour mill says a certain smaller western operator...

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Rowdy wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 am Rumour mill says a certain smaller western operator...
Gee, thanks for narrowing that down.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

infiniteregulus wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 am It's irrelevant who or what company. It was a pilot and it looks bad on ALL of us.
This.
montado wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm I think justwork is referring to the additional cards you can add to your account for 200 bucks. One account, 10 cards at 750+(200x9).

It is hard to argue a refund becuase how do you put a value on the lounge access. This card has several perks such as CDW for car rental. So you could ask to be refunded but what if you rented cars for 100 days last year taking advantage of this coverage. How do you divide the value of perks? What about the bonus points on sign up? Simple answer from Amex would likely be “it’s in the terms, not our problem, they were never supposed to give access from the beginning, so maybe you owe us for abusing the privilege.”

If you no longer want the card, cancel it. But don’t fool yourself thinking you deserve a refund. Sorry, but AMEX did nothing wrong here. Sometimes you just have to admit a good thing came to an end, wash your hands and move on.
And no, $750 vs $250 vs $1000. The intention of this CC isn't for Joe pilot to use while he has a few minutes. It's intended for someone who A) doesn't give a shit about the annual fee. B) Travels for work & pleasure. It's was never intended to be exploited by airport or airline employees as a cheap lunch. I flew with FO's who had it and I shuddered at the idea of actually going into a lounge, which is totally totally intended for the public and not employees, and enjoying a shit meal and bad coffee. But hey, to each their own.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Do you recall ever walking past an AMEX kiosk in an airport? If I had a dollar for each time one of them said “lounge access” to me I could retire. It is how AMEX themselves aggressively marketed that card to anybody in a uniform and you know it.

And the crew who use it are customers...not employees. Climb down off your high horse justwork.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Rockie wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:07 am Do you recall ever walking past an AMEX kiosk in an airport? If I had a dollar for each time one of them said “lounge access” to me I could retire. It is how AMEX themselves aggressively marketed that card to anybody in a uniform and you know it.

And the crew who use it are customers...not employees. Climb down off your high horse justwork.
I honestly can't believe you're debating this.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

What’s to debate? This card was hawked to crew for its lounge access and for a long time it served its purpose. The lounges decided to enforce the rule and now the card’s usefulness is greatly diminished so they won’t sell as many and current users will cancel and get a refund. Simple.

But you can’t deny how it was sold to begin with, and your snooty attitude towards what the lounge offers and those using it is irritating. Hence the high horse comment. Not for you to judge.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Rockie is right in that this card is sold to crew by the salesmen in the terminal...

Every time I walk by the used car salesmen are throwing a pitch "lounge access" because that's their job... and obviously crew were an easy target to help them get their quota... They never said "eat for free while at work" though...

Most recently the pitch was "Get the card while you can, airline employees will soon be ineligible"... Lighting a fire in case you're on the fence... Still though, they weren't saying "eat for free at work"...

But it doesn't really matter what they say though. It's all layed out in the T&Cs that YOU READ AND SIGN. That's what plays

People come to my door with a plastic laminated badge and a contract telling me I can save on my gas and electric bills too... "Provincial Efficiency Agency" or whatever sounds good and official... How does that work out for people...

Salesmen have a job - SELL - make a product appealing and sell it, but it's your responsibility to know what your signing and buying.

No sympathy from me that they enforce the deal. The employees that abused it are nothing to AMEX vs. the high earners and spenders who got tired of sitting with them.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Rockie wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:28 am What’s to debate? This card was hawked to crew for its lounge access and for a long time it served its purpose. The lounges decided to enforce the rule and now the card’s usefulness is greatly diminished so they won’t sell as many and current users will cancel and get a refund. Simple.

But you can’t deny how it was sold to begin with, and your snooty attitude towards what the lounge offers and those using it is irritating. Hence the high horse comment. Not for you to judge.
If you dress like shit and make it there early enough you might be able to get a free bed at the local homeless shelter too.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

For what it's worth I know some WestJet Crew members who have cancelled the card recently and did receive a prorated refund.

I like the new rules and as a commuter will keep my card for now. It works out to about $40 a month after the travel credit. I figure I will still hit the lounge about six times a month so it's well worth the cost. It also gives u access to a discount with car rentals with hertz. I recently saved about $200 Canadian on a car rental in Hawaii over the next cheapest fare I could find.

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

RidersRule wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 am
....I like the new rules and as a commuter.....
The rules aren't new though. They are just being enforced. 8)

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I get it Justwork, your shit doesn’t stink and you only eat at five star restaurants which is why you like airports so much.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Rockie wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:18 am I get it Justwork, your shit doesn’t stink and you only eat at five star restaurants which is why you like airports so much.
It's rather pungent actually, stings the nostrils. What I am saying is that you need to be a special kind of stupid to think this wasn't going to happen. Can you join a 24 hour gym and then move it? It's open 24/7 and the nice ones even have a social area.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

justwork wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 amWhat I am saying is that you need to be a special kind of stupid to think this wasn't going to happen. Can you join a 24 hour gym and then move it?
That's like saying you have to be a special kind of stupid to not read and understand every line of fine print on your credit card contract, and read and understand every line of the user agreement for software. Are you saying you're not that special kind of stupid?

Having the conditions change though it's time to get a refund and move on. Good while it lasted despite your sanctimonious contempt for it.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

So you honestly thought AMEX would be cool with the lounge being used as a crew lounge? Guys running in there to stuff their faces on a 30 minute turn. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to think “hey man, that can’t be right”. Oh wait no it can because they guys hawking the cards, who say anything to get you to apply, they said so. It’s like the guy who calls your house saying you won some lottery, we just need your legal name, Credit card number, address, and your SIN. Hey it’s the CRA calling, you owe us money and give me your credit card number to avoid going to jail.

C’mon Rockie, you know and I know that anyone who paid money for that card, literally expecting a free meal, they’re dummies if they thought that gravey train would keep on chugging forever.
Rockie wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:56 am
justwork wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:02 amWhat I am saying is that you need to be a special kind of stupid to think this wasn't going to happen. Can you join a 24 hour gym and then move it?
That's like saying you have to be a special kind of stupid to not read and understand every line of fine print on your credit card contract, and read and understand every line of the user agreement for software. Are you saying you're not that special kind of stupid?

Having the conditions change though it's time to get a refund and move on. Good while it lasted despite your sanctimonious contempt for it.

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Rockie wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:56 am

Actually, it does take a special kind of stupid to agree to the terms and conditions of a service (which BTW includes the "fine print"), and when found to be in violation of said terms, to essentially say "Since I didn't read the fine print, it really doesn't apply to me".

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”