Professionalism

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Professionalism

Post by infiniteregulus »

Anyone else start noticing a trend in uniformed crew wearing big unsightly music headphones at the gates while waiting for their flights (operating or commuting) with feet up in the air like some a punk. It looks TERRIBLE! And don't get me started on the bright red backpacks :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

flyzam
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Professionalism

Post by flyzam »

The airlines get what they pay for.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

flyzam wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm The airlines get what they pay for.
+100000.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Bullshit. You knew what the pay was when you applied for the job. You agreed to be a professional so either be one or go get a job as a janitor where you can wear you headphones all night

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

av8ts wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm
Bullshit. You knew what the pay was when you applied for the job. You agreed to be a professional so either be one or go get a job as a janitor where you can wear you headphones all night
Ironically,I think he was agreeing with the original poster. No doubt he was referring to one of the express partners or smaller airlines. I doubt that mainline would tolerate that behavior.

I would also align the word professionalism with the ability to not swear in public forum amongst other traits.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

infiniteregulus wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm Anyone else start noticing a trend in uniformed crew wearing big unsightly music headphones at the gates while waiting for their flights (operating or commuting) with feet up in the air like some a punk. It looks TERRIBLE! And don't get me started on the bright red backpacks :lol:
Or all those westjet pilots grooming the planes :twisted:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

eyebrow737 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm
av8ts wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm
Ironically,I think he was agreeing with the original poster. No doubt he was referring to one of the express partners or smaller airlines. I doubt that mainline would tolerate that behavior.

I would also align the word professionalism with the ability to not swear in public forum amongst other traits.

Moron quote of the year. Wow. Really

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

digits_ wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm
infiniteregulus wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:21 pm Anyone else start noticing a trend in uniformed crew wearing big unsightly music headphones at the gates while waiting for their flights (operating or commuting) with feet up in the air like some a punk. It looks TERRIBLE! And don't get me started on the bright red backpacks :lol:
Or all those westjet pilots grooming the planes :twisted:
+1

You can't get more unprofessional looking than a pilot wearing blue latex gloves taking snotty tissues out of a seat back.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

so, ghettoblaster headsets and combat boots on the furniture are the new normal? sorry, I am an old guy, actually not that old at 59, who does not get it. neither do the traveling public.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

It was indeed an express carrier to which I last witnessed. Well actually the majority of those I've noticed. Handlebar moustaches, raggedy un-ironed shirts, black Walmart running shoes, walking up to gate agents in the middle of boarding to ask for loads...like come on folks! But in the end, the general public don't discern the difference between express or mainline pilots. They look all the same to them. And really that goes to all of us as a whole :|

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

infiniteregulus wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:02 pm It was indeed an express carrier to which I last witnessed. Well actually the majority of those I've noticed. Handlebar moustaches, raggedy un-ironed shirts, black Walmart running shoes, walking up to gate agents in the middle of boarding to ask for loads...like come on folks! But in the end, the general public don't discern the difference between express or mainline pilots. They look all the same to them. And really that goes to all of us as a whole :|
I saw 4 main line pilots playing a game on 1 iPhone while I wrote my last post. That won’t last with the new VP. Let’s all have some respect for the profession. We need to train that in the sim ;)

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

I'm glad to see this thread. Even if it's been discussed multiple times in the past, it absolutely needs to be discussed on a regular basis.

One thing of note however (and this is very subjective), is that one can act very professionally even if one is not part of a "profession". Someone referred to a janitor in an earlier comment, to which I say I've seen people act in the most utmost professional manner even in what may be looked upon as the lowliest job.

People who may be part of a so-called "profession" may act unprofessionally, as witnessed by this whole AMEX lounge pass gong-show. Things like that do absolutely nothing to enhance the image of who we are, or who we should strive to be. Personally, I no longer consider piloting to be a "profession". I used to, but those days are long gone.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sadly I'd have to agree

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Operators get what they pay for. If FOs have to bank their per diems to make rent and scam lounge food, then maybe you should pay them more.

A lot of these are kids who are just learning to live on their own, and in Canada's most expensive cities. In some cases, still living with mom and dad.

If you want professionals, pay professional wages. If I can make twice as much working elsewhere and don't have to iron my shirt, guess what job I'm going to take.

Zoo till Two
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zoo till Two »

This thread is a bit over the top. It's not a military we work for. After finishing a long hard pairing and spending time in busy airports where it's a 20 min wait to get a coffee at tims (in Yul at least) it's nice to zone out a bit. If they want to hide us don't deadhead me around everyday or give me 4 hour sits between flights. I agree some people don't care about image as much and need to be reminded once in a while. Yeah yeah the express guys are a joke is what you think. F U buddy. If that bothers you, you seriously need to get a life. Get laid maybe rather than whining here. It's annoying. People like you make this site hard to enjoy rather than learn anything.
PROFFESSIONALISM !!! Good topic you moron.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Zoo till Two wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 am This thread is a bit over the top. It's not a military we work for. After finishing a long hard pairing and spending time in busy airports where it's a 20 min wait to get a coffee at tims (in Yul at least) it's nice to zone out a bit. If they want to hide us don't deadhead me around everyday or give me 4 hour sits between flights. I agree some people don't care about image as much and need to be reminded once in a while. Yeah yeah the express guys are a joke is what you think. F U buddy. If that bothers you, you seriously need to get a life. Get laid maybe rather than whining here. It's annoying. People like you make this site hard to enjoy rather than learn anything.
:prayer:

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Zoo till Two wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 am This thread is a bit over the top. It's not a military we work for. After finishing a long hard pairing and spending time in busy airports where it's a 20 min wait to get a coffee at tims (in Yul at least) it's nice to zone out a bit. If they want to hide us don't deadhead me around everyday or give me 4 hour sits between flights. I agree some people don't care about image as much and need to be reminded once in a while. Yeah yeah the express guys are a joke is what you think. F U buddy. If that bothers you, you seriously need to get a life. Get laid maybe rather than whining here. It's annoying. People like you make this site hard to enjoy rather than learn anything.
Very professional response hahahahaha

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

This attitude is one of the many reasons that we as pilots have lost so much respect in Canada. Yes the hours can be long, yes it sucks to be in the public eye for 12-15hrs a day and yes it sucks to deadhead all over the county, however you knew the job when you accepted it. You knew what was expected of you. Don’t like the fact that you are required to meet a certain grooming standard? Go back to the bush where your customers don’t care how you look. The way some pilots dress and act in public is an embarrassment to our profession. Oddly enough they are usually the first to complain about the low pay and poor working conditions. Want better pay and conditions? Then start looking like you deserve them!

Zoo till Two
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Zoo till Two »

My response was a little over the top. I get it. I still manage to have a clean shave everyday and look professional. It's part of the job. Just if you are judging a group of people, you better be perfect yourself.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

bcflyer wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:47 am Want better pay and conditions? Then start looking like you deserve them!
Haven't pilots done that for years? Now there is a "shortage" like never before in recent history, yet pay barely goes up. I can understand the frustration and little rebellion that causes.

A big part of the express carrier brands only took the job because they want to end up at Air Canada. If your entire business model is based on "let's make the pilots work at a company they don't want to be at, for a salary they are not happy with, so that 30% of them can eventually end up at our mainline", then you don't have to be surprised people don't really care about the image of your company.

Another thing, mainly at 703/704 operators: if you expect your pilots to put on wing covers, deice the plane, put on engine tenst and plugs, then don't give them fancy white shirts to wear to pretend you are an airline :lol: :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”