Be careful what you report finding on the walkaround

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Be careful what you report finding on the walkaround

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm If american planes need anti collision lights, how do you fly a non-electric airplane? Oil lamps?
No one said American planes need anti-collision lights. The first post says that according to the FAA, American planes equipped with anti-collision lights are only airworthy if the anti-collision lights are operational. Airplanes without electric systems are not equipped with anti-collision lights.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

91.205(b)(11) requires for all day VFR flight
For small civil airplanes certificated after March 11, 1996, in accordance with part 23 of this chapter, an approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system.
There’s no exemption for aircraft without an electrical system, so I don’t see how non-electric airplanes can be certified any more.

Would a set of individual lights with dry cells like bicycle light be approved?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 am 91.205(b)(11) requires for all day VFR flight
For small civil airplanes certificated after March 11, 1996, in accordance with part 23 of this chapter, an approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system.
There’s no exemption for aircraft without an electrical system, so I don’t see how non-electric airplanes can be certified any more.

Would a set of individual lights with dry cells like bicycle light be approved?
Not sure...let us know when you figure it out. Which should pretty much mean the end of this thread.

Meanwhile, as implied by the thread title, I'm going flying but not checking the strobes prior to the flight, just in case a mechanic misinterprets the regs and wants to cancel my flight. :wink:

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

A bit of an update on grounding aircraft for ridiculous reasons. Went flying the other day in a twin and the instructor was telling me about going to pick up a DA-40 on the west coast to ferry it back east for the new owner. Among his many reasons for refusing to fly the aircraft(some of which were valid) was that there was no portable fuel measuring device which is according to this forum link...."a glass graduated tubing that fits in a pin hole in the stall strip of each wing. You plug it to the tank drain and read the fuel quantity" and costs about 500 dollars from the manufacturer.

https://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/v ... php?t=3686

One was finally found but the glass was cracked(which apparently happens easily). To be honest, the DA-40 I flew did not have one but apparently it is listed in the Kinds of operation equipment list as required.

I vaguely recalled reading about this device once or twice and asking about it back when I flew this type. I listened politely of course as he was quite adament about the regs being followed and it is interesting to know the regs but I can't see myself cancelling a flight because there is no secondary fuel measuring device like that in the DA-40.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

New owner: "Thanks for bringing me my airplane. Now, where's the fuel measuring device?"
Ferry pilot: "It's broken."
New owner: "Then you owe me $500 for a replacement."
Ferry pilot: "It was broken when I collected the airplane."
New owner: "That fuel measuring device is clearly listed as required equipment. The airplane isn't airworthy without it. Do you mean to say you've knowingly been flying my airplane in an un-airworthy condition? In breach of insurance requirements and regulations? Buy me a new one, or I shall have to take this further."

Sometimes, it's best to avoid even the possibility of an argument, from the outset.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Just fly the dang thing on the 30th of February and you will be OK.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:42 pm New owner: "Thanks for bringing me my airplane. Now, where's the fuel measuring device?"
Ferry pilot: "It's broken."
New owner: "Then you owe me $500 for a replacement."
Ferry pilot: "It was broken when I collected the airplane."
New owner: "That fuel measuring device is clearly listed as required equipment. The airplane isn't airworthy without it. Do you mean to say you've knowingly been flying my airplane in an un-airworthy condition? In breach of insurance requirements and regulations? Buy me a new one, or I shall have to take this further."

Sometimes, it's best to avoid even the possibility of an argument, from the outset.
Ferry pilot: "Glad I called you before departure and let you know about the broken fuel measuring device when I gave you the aircraft condition report about the aircraft prior to departure as any decent ferry pilot would do, at which point you said don't worry about it or the unserviceable strobes because it is such a ridiculous requirement. Which is the reason why we didn't end up having the above theoretical conversation."

Sigh...some things are so simple and still get the job done safely. Did ferry a single piston engine aircraft across the Atlantic once....six legs to destination. Rode back in the left seat of a new TBM 700 for one of the three legs.....N700TB.

The PIC of the TBM who hired me.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVw-ky6uAHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A73knrH0kbI

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.3453605

She does have some interesting stories.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 pm Ferry pilot: "Glad I called you before departure and let you know about the broken fuel measuring device when I gave you the aircraft condition report about the aircraft prior to departure as any decent ferry pilot would do, at which point you said don't worry about it or the unserviceable strobes because it is such a ridiculous requirement
Great. Now we’re both on the hook for conspiracy.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

No offense lady but there are pilots that cross the ocean 6-10 times a month for 40 years. You are nowhere near the record.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

There are other silly regulations:

1. Requirement for a serviceable landing light for night operations.
2. Requirement for a serviceable autopilot for certain operations. (One such used to be SP operations. Might have changed)
3. Requirement for serviceable anti-collision lights in daytime

Silly because you don't have to use or activate any of them...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:34 am
pelmet wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 pm Ferry pilot: "Glad I called you before departure and let you know about the broken fuel measuring device when I gave you the aircraft condition report about the aircraft prior to departure as any decent ferry pilot would do, at which point you said don't worry about it or the unserviceable strobes because it is such a ridiculous requirement
Great. Now we’re both on the hook for conspiracy.
Ferry pilot: "But...at least safety wasn't compromised and as I explained on the phone, there are those who think that following regulations will keep them safe and in reality, can rarely get the job done and those who are wise to the fact that what is legal is not necessarily safe and what is safe is not necessarily legal."

I knew a TC guy who was pretty emphatic about the importance of following the regs. Not a surprise except he meant only for the CAR's not for cars. Automobile rules were different and he admitted to plenty of fines and rule-breaking. I guess that was different.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I just don't feel entitled to criticize someone else's judgement NOT to fly an airplane when a piece of required equipment isn't serviceable.

Return to “General Comments”