WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Post by mbav8r »

Interesting conundrum, ALPA has a blacklist for swoop pilots therefore those pilots cannot join the union, yep if I were tbaylx et al, I’d be looking for something else about now.
Also, so far no AOC has been approved by TC, might be WJ flying swoop passengers on a freshly painted 37 and I seriously doubt WJ will risk further damage to negotiations for a handful of scumbags!
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Another article from the Financial Post makes it quite clear with a quote from the union. WestJet pilots get the swoop flying. Swoop pilots are screwed.

As far as the pilots flying it (Swoop) they will be WestJet pilots,” McFadyen said.

http://business.financialpost.com/trans ... nized-alpa

Last edited by C-GGGQ on Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

bobcaygeon wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am
Legacy wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:29 pm
bobcaygeon wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:17 am So how does capturing the Swoop flying and YOS benefit the top 1/3 of the pilot group? We all know they never "take one for the team". It's ALPA 101

Preferential seniority based bidding for vacation and monthly schedule?? Pay protection??

With YOS coming in you can bet the payscale will change ie 20 years to top of scale now vs current. Same with vacation?

It's far from over.
Yeah but show me one company that has a 20 year pay scale
Jazz had a 16 year scale when I worked there (No B scale at the time)

Another Canadian ALPO carrier currently has a 20 year payscale too.

I can't figure out how to post a jpeg of them.

That's what happens with YOS

I can't find the one that your say currently has 20 year payscale. Care to share which?

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

Legacy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:36 am
bobcaygeon wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am
Legacy wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Yeah but show me one company that has a 20 year pay scale
Jazz had a 16 year scale when I worked there (No B scale at the time)

Another Canadian ALPO carrier currently has a 20 year payscale too.

I can't figure out how to post a jpeg of them.

That's what happens with YOS

I can't find the one that your say currently has 20 year payscale. Care to share which?
No clue here. I just did a quick scan of airline pilot central. Every major airline I looked at had 12 year pay scales except Air Transat. It had 10. Not sure how accurate that info is.

And no, comparing us to a regional airline like Jazz doesn't apply.

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

The company has NOT proposed adding more years on the payscale thereby diluting YOS.

Company has also indicated to MEC on multiple occasions their willingness to pay WS wage rates at Swoop. They have not agreed to WS working conditions however. Both shall be arbitrated by June 17th at the latest...

The fate of tbaylx and his ilk is also in the hands of arbitrator. BOTL is too good IMHO.

Stdby

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

mbav8r wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:24 am ALPA has a blacklist for swoop pilots therefore those pilots cannot join the union, yep if I were tbaylx et al, I’d be looking for something else about now.
Considering the posting history of Tbaylx, have you considered he might already be a member of ALPA, on an LOA from another Canadian carrier?

Don't think the "ALPA hiring ban" will affect him.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

No, however there is such a thing as a member “not in good standing”, not sure of the ramifications of that. I looked over tbaylx previous posts on the subject, he presented himself as a pilot who defended the actions of theses pilots but never as a swoop pilot, for obvious reasons but he was outed recently. He makes one reference to leaving Sunwing about 1 1/2 year ago but not where he was before swoop.
I have a feeling he came from SR which would be even sweeter if he’s pounding the pavement from all this, would make him a double scumbag. Either way I get to imagine him getting his due for now and will absolutely celebrate if word comes down they're let go.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

So, even if these "SWOOP" pilots get to stay at WJ now they will be date of hire bottom of the list and will be 10-15 years from a left seat at the current rate.

Let’s Go Brandon
tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Nope, no secret who i am to anyone who’s been around awhile, and anyone who knows me is well aware of my own union and negotiating background. It has nothing to do with what and when I post. I’m happy to discuss opinions in person with those who do know me, but simply nothing to contribute to the current anger/self congrats party going on.

It’s going to get worse before it gets better once reality of the situation sets in, I’ll refrain from comments until there is an articulate intelligent discussion to be involved in.

Congrats to the WJ pilots on the contract gains you’ve made to date.

chainsaw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chainsaw »

What’s really interesting is that the antagonistic avifiskAlly has shut his pie hole now that real positive outcomes are emerging from these negotiations

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

Lol how noble of you.

There is a large group chat going on amongst WestJet pilots. It’s funny in a chat of close to 200 pilots, many that claim to know you, no one has come to defend your character.

Enjoy, at best case, BOTL.

Last edited by RidersRule on Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlairAirlines
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlairAirlines »

Flair Airlines welcomes any pilots displaced by the recent news.. we should have another Training class in the Fall.. please watch our website or AvCanada for our postings when we do!

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

chainsaw wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:49 pm What’s really interesting is that the antagonistic avifiskAlly has shut his pie hole now that real positive outcomes are emerging from these negotiations
I just think it's a long game and it is far from over. The deal will be the deal but from what I see so far the company has done pretty well.

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Last edited by DropTanks on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I can't believe I just saw Flair post in the WS forum looking for Swoop pilots. 'Sneaky sneaky sir' as they say in Mr. Deeds.
FlairAirlines wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am Flair Airlines welcomes any pilots displaced by the recent news.. we should have another Training class in the Fall.. please watch our website or AvCanada for our postings when we do!

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

And lets not forget the "Wing Suit" guy, who has been unusually quiet the last few days. I am sure he has notified management and the union that when the new contract is in place, he wants to work under the old wages, benefits, and work rules. After all, anyone so proud to have nothing to do with the union, certainly wouldn't feel comfortable accepting personal gains negotiated by the union. :roll:

Duke15
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke15 »

Flair posting is SAVAGE hahaha

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

The Flair ad is cheeky, but WJ flight ops real problem is Big Red. About 400 Teal resumes on file and hiring 5-10 a month.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

If you worked at WJ would you not have your resume on file with AC? I mean, your BOD were legit ready to shut down the company over a squabble with a labour group.

Think about it. CB was so butthurt that the pilots unionized he wanted to shut the doors and end everything. A man child in every way.

If you are an investor in WJ or a current pilot and are not trying to get out and cut your losses under this kind of leadership don’t be surprised when it all turns to garbage.

No offence to the WJ folk.

calgaryguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by calgaryguy »

FlairAirlines wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:54 am Flair Airlines welcomes any pilots displaced by the recent news.. we should have another Training class in the Fall.. please watch our website or AvCanada for our postings when we do!
According to friends at Flair the pilots however will not welcome you. The majority of Flair pilots support the ALPA ban and the Westjet pilots. Bottom of the list for you as FO. They don't want scabs either.

Return to “WestJet”