WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Post by Rowdy »

No one sits in the jump unless I agree to it. Plain and simple.

'Sorry, we cannot accommodate today'
---------- ADS -----------

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

The internet is going to blow up.

You got lucky Tbaylx. You have to buy the beer until you retire.

JJJ

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

jjj wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:53 pm The internet is going to blow up.

JJJ
You mean until the arbitrator decides his fate he buys beer.
No one knows how the final situation will play out.

countdown
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by countdown »

All of the this jump seat BS confirms one thing. The terms "Pilot" and "Professional" are not synonymous.

jjj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jjj »

It's official,

Tbaylx gets to keep his job.

JJJ

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

JJJ
Agreed, beer is on me, especially if it comes with a raise later.

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

countdown wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:48 pm All of the this jump seat BS confirms one thing. The terms "Pilot" and "Professional" are not synonymous.
Silent applause. Especially amongst this circle jerk of WestJet and one lone Jazz pilots

Maritimer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Maritimer »

tbaylx wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 pm

JJJ
It won’t be much, plus you’ll be at Swoop forever, unless the arbitrator feels you’re not necessary.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Maritimer wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:36 pm
tbaylx wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:12 pm

JJJ
It won’t be much, plus you’ll be at Swoop forever, unless the arbitrator feels you’re not necessary.
There isn’t one of us that saw this as a road to mainline, nor is anyone I know interested in that road.
In the future if it ever opens up and someone actually wanted it, I’m sure it would be DoH much like encore in any case so there would be zero effect on anyone’s seniority.

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

Swoop and WJ are now common employers. WJ Pilots will now place a bid for future Swoop positions. Current Swoop Pilots will be given a seniority number on the department list ( so they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon) and they will likely keep current positions, IMO.
Overall the big losers here are Encore Pilots - they will not be allowed to bid for Swoop positions. I highly doubt that any WJ FO will take a Swoop FO position, so Swoop will need more OTS hires for FOs soon but Encore Pilots will not be getting those spots. Keep in mind there are a good number of Encore pilots that would likely have the seniority to bid into a Swoop captain position (and meet the requirements) but they will not be allowed.
Looks like the beginning of the end for the one list.

Lt Colombo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lt Colombo »

Good evening guys,

I might be new here, i've been montoring a few threads for some time now and i'm certainly not new to this world you can tell by my nickname, anyway i just wanna point out a few things.

One of the things that i have learned is a pilot's enemy is a fellow pilot, sadely!

This whole Swoop noise thing is just a mascarade coz if i understood well some people want me to believe that a few fellow pilots applied for a decsent job then they deserve no futur in the industry :!:

Comparing to other major players Swoop is offering decent conditions now that WJ pilots are forced to crew Swoop is another story you should go after their managment.

Guys prioritazation is paramount in our profession and i see none here, the real threats are not the fellow pilots that wanna make decent living but some greedy managment staffers that wanna scoop up everything for themselves.

Why don't you go after the express carriers that scoop millions a year in bonuses let alone their salaries while paying yellow coins paycheck to their drivers.

Why don't you go after players that are hiring maids with flying licenses to shine the cabins between flights.

Why don't you go after players that are segregating qualified PR ( permanent resident ) holders just because their name is Ahmad or Igor...

You are ok with all these red flags and trying to fix the fourth digit after the decimal :!: :!:

One last thing:

Swoop is gonna become such a major player that you guys gonna request jumpseats with them.

CaptainHaddock
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CaptainHaddock »

Rezy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:52 pm Swoop and WJ are now common employers. WJ Pilots will now place a bid for future Swoop positions. Current Swoop Pilots will be given a seniority number on the department list ( so they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon) and they will likely keep current positions, IMO.
Overall the big losers here are Encore Pilots - they will not be allowed to bid for Swoop positions. I highly doubt that any WJ FO will take a Swoop FO position, so Swoop will need more OTS hires for FOs soon but Encore Pilots will not be getting those spots. Keep in mind there are a good number of Encore pilots that would likely have the seniority to bid into a Swoop captain position (and meet the requirements) but they will not be allowed.
Ain’t that the truth, what a shaft. They are probably short right now at Encore. But decisions like this will just accelerate applications to AC, so they’ll be short anyways. WestJet pilots can bid over to Swoop-but with no idea what the WAWCON will end up being (if anything other than what’s posted). I’m pretty disappointed for sure.

Billions of Bilious Blue Blistering Barnacles!
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Fanblade wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am ...
A college of professional pilots might actually be a good idea. Unfortunately professional associations need ledgislation to make it happen as they need control over licensing. The licensing forces collectivism. It forces people to do what they are instructed. Which in turn provides leverage at the bargaining table. Your kidding yourself if you think a Doctor or Nurse has much individual say within the public system.

Airlines will fight this legislation allowing pilots to become a college and licence themselves tooth and nail. I realize a college of pilots in Canada is currently being attempted. Unfortunately licensing is not at the forefront. Without licensing it will have no teeth. It can advocate but can not negotiate.
Good points, college of pilots would be a great achievement.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Rezy wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:52 pm Swoop and WJ are now common employers. WJ Pilots will now place a bid for future Swoop positions. Current Swoop Pilots will be given a seniority number on the department list ( so they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon) and they will likely keep current positions, IMO.
I'm an outsider and don't understand all that is going on.

Is it correct that there will now be 3 different employee groups - WestJet/Encore/Swoop?

Having seen how nothing divides Pilots like seniority (just look at this Forum) - this looks like a classic divide and conquer strategy. Management wet dream!

All that's needed now is a separate list for 787 Pilots to make it a complete disaster imho.

Glad I'm not part of this.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

This wasn’t a win for swoop pilots.. go and read the interim order again it’s clear your here only until your fate is determined at a later date. You are redundant swoopsters never forget that as are we and that’s been proven time and time again. If you think the company will pay bypass pay to 1000 first officers to keep you in your seats you are sadly mistaken. The Company I am sure is banking on the fact no one will bid the 26 positions in yhm which they will. This equates to hundreds of thousands of dollars per pilot in bypass pay. You think they will keep you around for it? Your going to the right seat in three months and you guys know it. That part of the interim order including the words bypass pay sealed your fates right there. All a first officer has to do now is bid captain at swoop today and get a nice fat pay check in the years to come until all of you are gone out of those left seats.

Oh and btw the YEG base is all westjet Captains who I can’t wait for you guys to meet.

You may have budded in line to the party swoopsters but the bouncer is coming soon to move you back where you belong and now it’s legal where that’s probably gonna happen.

Thanks in advance for trying to be professional launching my airline in YHM. I’ll make sure that I’m professional when you are my first officer in six months.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

As if the morale at Encore could go any lower... here it is

B757FO
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B757FO »

Ya thats the real problem now. What the company has done to encore pilots. It’s fine for us to fight over 26 seats but your right... 100% right encore pilots must feel left behind. It’s hard to believe that we have come to this place in the road. All 100% avoidable.. all 100% westjet Corp driven. I hope the encore MEC gets some movement on allowing encore pilots to apply for those positions.

Someone posted here earlier that no one wins in this and that is true. But the losing party shouldn’t be encore it should be the swoop pilots hired out of seniority.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

The positive thing is that between additional Swoop flying, the introduction of B787 and 2 or 3 class cabins, not to mention quite likely the new duty rules, it seems that there is going to be substantial opportunities for growth at WestJet group which is nice to see.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

sstaurus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:47 am As if the morale at Encore could go any lower... here it is
Yes Encore pilots are the biggest losers in all of this.

Blue42
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blue42 »

B757FO wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 am All a first officer has to do now is bid captain at swoop today and get a nice fat pay check in the years to come until all of you are gone out of those left seats.

Oh and btw the YEG base is all westjet Captains who I can’t wait for you guys to meet.

You may have budded in line to the party swoopsters but the bouncer is coming soon to move you back where you belong and now it’s legal where that’s probably gonna happen.

Thanks in advance for trying to be professional launching my airline in YHM. I’ll make sure that I’m professional when you are my first officer in six months.
Incorrect! Anyone that bids the bypass positions must make themselves available for the next Capt course as well. There's no sitting and just collecting a paycheck.

Return to “WestJet”