Typical on-demand charter schedule?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 3
Rank 3

Typical on-demand charter schedule?

Post by 7507 »

Hello
    I don't know if the topic belongs in the corporate forum but here goes fir anyone that can add some info.

Like to hear from the charter pilots and what their schedule typically looks like. How many 2 hour notice flights will you get during a normal month and how far in advance do you know most of your charter flights?

Thanks again and hope to read some good responses.
    ---------- ADS -----------

LifeAt90Kts
    Rank 2
    Rank 2

Re: Typical on-demand charter schedule?

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Well, I work for a charter company, but it is not corporate flying by any means. I work 5 on, 2 off. The schedule for the next day comes out the previous evening. For days where nothing is scheduled, I'm on call, so if something pops up I have an hour to get to the airport. I typically fly 4 days a week. 1 or 2 of those end up being max duty days. I plan on working all of my 5 days, because you really don't know what you're going to get.

Rank 3
    Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 pm Well, I work for a charter company, but it is not corporate flying by any means. I work 5 on, 2 off. The schedule for the next day comes out the previous evening. For days where nothing is scheduled, I'm on call, so if something pops up I have an hour to get to the airport. I typically fly 4 days a week. 1 or 2 of those end up being max duty days. I plan on working all of my 5 days, because you really don't know what you're going to get.
    Thanks for that

Roar
    Rank 4
    Rank 4

Post by Roar »

You are going to find as many different answers to that question as there are charter planes.
    In my case I know the aircraft owners scheduled trips 10 months in advance and charter trips are typically 2 weeks notice, in the past four years I have been called out on two hours notice just once.
    But like I said every plane and operation will be different.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
    Rank 3
    Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

Roar wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm You are going to find as many different answers to that question as there are charter planes.
    In my case I know the aircraft owners scheduled trips 10 months in advance and charter trips are typically 2 weeks notice, in the past four years I have been called out on two hours notice just once.
    But like I said every plane and operation will be different.
    Appreciate your comments

Eric Janson
    Rank (9)
    Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I work for an EU Airline operating global ACMI flights.

Normal roster is 20 days 'on' then 10 days + 2 vacation days 'off'. The 20 days can be extended to 24 days with extra pay. They try and keep a 2/1 roster.

On your 'on' days you can be scheduled as required. This can vary from flights to standby in a hotel or standby at home. You can designate any major airport in the EU as your home base and your roster starts and ends at your home base.

I am assigned to one operation/client on a volunteer basis. I work 25 days 'on' then 10 days 'off' then 11 days 'on' followed by 17 days 'off'. As a volunteer I can stay in this operation as long as I like.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”