Air Georgian-National Post Article

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Georgian-National Post Article

Post by mmm..bacon »

No, no, no...y'all got it wrong... it's $5k/month plus a 'guaranteed' interview at Air Canada. That's gotta be worth at least another $2k, no? :wink:
---------- ADS -----------

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Its certainly not enough for me. They've got a LONG way to go before they'll see my resume, especially considering their reputation and latest TSB report.

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am Its certainly not enough for me. They've got a LONG way to go before they'll see my resume, especially considering their reputation and latest TSB report.
Bit of a mic drop for GGN

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125069&sid=12ec6b74 ... 8edb0bc872

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

Last edited by speedah on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

speedah wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 am Im still waiting for the little boop on my phone from CBC titled "Reported Air Canada CRJ plane crash after takeoff in YYZ" from my phone.
Other than the obvious glass house comment that is hanging out there..... you should give your head a shake or get out of aviation. Way offside, pretty disgusting comment

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

I second this.

I'm no ggn defender but that comment was way offside..never wish harm to someone like that.

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

speedah wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 am Im still waiting for the little boop on my phone from CBC titled "Reported Air Canada CRJ plane crash after takeoff in YYZ" from my phone.
So wrong. I agree, pretty disgusting comment. The hight of what is wrong with AvCanada

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

avpride wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 am
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:46 am Lol @ average Canadian salary...

Do average Canadians have 74 lives in their hands? Did they sleep in hotels 15 nights a month? Are they required to always be ready for the inevitable?

Troll.
Umm really.... no some design or build bridges, keep your family safe from crime, fire, etc. Educate your kids, provide safe food for you to eat, drive hazardous materials on our public roads. Being a pilot is a great job in a rewarding field but, please, do not put it above others regarding level of responsibility, dedication, commitment, professionalism and so many more attributes that are present in a great number of professions. Be proud you are a pilot but yes average Canadians have a lot of jobs that have grave safety consequences if they do them poorly.
As one of the people who "drive hazardous materials" we get paid more than pilots. (Actually I get nothing extra for hazmat over normal freight) the guys who build bridges do too.

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:55 pm
avpride wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 am
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:46 am Lol @ average Canadian salary...

Do average Canadians have 74 lives in their hands? Did they sleep in hotels 15 nights a month? Are they required to always be ready for the inevitable?

Troll.
Umm really.... no some design or build bridges, keep your family safe from crime, fire, etc. Educate your kids, provide safe food for you to eat, drive hazardous materials on our public roads. Being a pilot is a great job in a rewarding field but, please, do not put it above others regarding level of responsibility, dedication, commitment, professionalism and so many more attributes that are present in a great number of professions. Be proud you are a pilot but yes average Canadians have a lot of jobs that have grave safety consequences if they do them poorly.
As one of the people who "drive hazardous materials" we get paid more than pilots. (Actually I get nothing extra for hazmat over normal freight) the guys who build bridges do too.
Were you answering a question?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

He indicated that a pilot makes more than the avg Canadian. Then listed jobs, supposedly done by avg Canadians, almost all of them making more than pilots. So yes. Correcting a faulty assumption

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm He indicated that a pilot makes more than the avg Canadian. Then listed jobs, supposedly done by avg Canadians, almost all of them making more than pilots. So yes. Correcting a faulty assumption
NO - you need to go back and read that again. Was responding to safety, risk, dedication, professionalism not at all about money. But if you want to make it about money I'd stack pilots up against any of those any day. Just like those other professions you dont start at the top and it takes a bit to earn good money but trust me once you hit stride at a major it all rolls in pretty quick, not many truckers ever see that upside. As a profession it still a really good bet compared to most other professions. It just doesn't happen when you have 250 hours 1500 hours or even 3000 hrs.... but between 4000 and 5000 it gets pretty darn great.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

avpride wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:46 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:28 pm He indicated that a pilot makes more than the avg Canadian. Then listed jobs, supposedly done by avg Canadians, almost all of them making more than pilots. So yes. Correcting a faulty assumption
NO - you need to go back and read that again. Was responding to safety, risk, dedication, professionalism not at all about money. But if you want to make it about money I'd stack pilots up against any of those any day. Just like those other professions you dont start at the top and it takes a bit to earn good money but trust me once you hit stride at a major it all rolls in pretty quick, not many truckers ever see that upside. As a profession it still a really good bet compared to most other professions. It just doesn't happen when you have 250 hours 1500 hours or even 3000 hrs.... but between 4000 and 5000 it gets pretty darn great.
While I will admit that right now the time to making good money (relatively as Canadian pilots are underpaid) ggn etc. are not entry-level positions and still pay HALF what a first year trucker makes or engineer. Heck starting at Air Canada is still sub first year trucker. Granted the trucking industry has its downsides in scheduling and days away and doesn't really do raises unless you move on to specialized equipment. But the demand for truckers right now is as high if not higher than pilots. The cost of education is 10% of a pilots and I have seen starting wages at companies go up $12,000 a year or more in the last 6 years. Where are those pay increases coming to aviation since we have a similar shortage?

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

speedah wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:56 am.
Buddy - you better hope the RCMP don't come knocking on your door - you can only delete your disgusting low class comment not the replies and quotes

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am
Buddy - you better hope the RCMP don't come knocking on your door - you can only delete your disgusting low class comment not the replies and quotes
LOL geez. Hyperbole much?

Thorjones
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Thorjones »

Aviatard wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:43 am
AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am
LOL geez. Hyperbole much?
LOL. Yes definitely sounded like one of those 8 year old kids "my dad can beat your dad up"

Thorjones
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Thorjones »

avpride wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am
goingnowherefast wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am Its certainly not enough for me. They've got a LONG way to go before they'll see my resume, especially considering their reputation and latest TSB report.

Please don't push the BS narrative that ggn had anything to do with this position opening up. You didn't get anyone fired. You're not powerful at all. So low in the bottom of the barrel you can barely see daylight.

Ggn is basically the trump administration of aviation in Canada. In constant denial, facts are fake news, always trying to spin a loss into a win.

"The wheel left the runway"
"We are the most audited airline in Canada"
"The nose wheel separated from the gear"

avpride
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by avpride »

Thorjones wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:11 am
avpride wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:05 am

Please don't push the BS narrative that ggn had anything to do with this position opening up. You didn't get anyone fired. You're not powerful at all. So low in the bottom of the barrel you can barely see daylight.

Ggn is basically the trump administration of aviation in Canada. In constant denial, facts are fake news, always trying to spin a loss into a win.

"The wheel left the runway"
"We are the most audited airline in Canada"
"The nose wheel separated from the gear"
Maybe some of that is true from your perspective but I doubt even you believe that Georgian standing up for their employees is in anyway a bad thing for visible minorities.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

How does it matter if the employee is a minority when the TSB's report findings were largely with how the various company systems were (mis)managed.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

It doesn't mention the color of their skin at all. They just mention language as an issue. Georgian playing the diversity card is actually the one's being racist by using their employees ethnic backgrounds as some kind of shield against safety concerns.

momnosam7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by momnosam7 »

Victory wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:00 pm It doesn't mention the color of their skin at all. They just mention language as an issue. Georgian playing the diversity card is actually the one's being racist by using their employees ethnic backgrounds as some kind of shield against safety concerns.
I suspect since the complaints were filed during the investigation and that there was some retraining done by TSB that the complaint was well thought out and supported by both AC and TC. Cant see GGN who is a pretty experienced operator taking a flyer on that one alone if it had no basis. In any case what seems to be undisputed is that they stood up for their employees while understanding the consequences.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”