Transition to PC12

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Transition to PC12

Post by ShawnR »

As I muddle through the online course for CPL, I wonder where it might take me. I am in my mid fifties so not about to start an entire career when I retire from my current job in a few years, but......?

There have been many threads here on starting out in a career. For me, tackling the CPL is more about the challenge and becoming a better pilot, but having said that, of course, after doing this studying, it would be nice to do something with the license, should I be successful.....

A poster on here mentioned once on a thread that obtaining an IFR rating on a single engine aircraft opens many doors. I thought that was sound advice that made sense. To consider multi engine stuff at an age when most pilots are winding down does not seem reasonable.

My question is, having only flown small planes, what is the transition like to a PC12 for example? I have been told the Beaver is not too bad, having Cub and float experience behind me. I hear of many new CPL's gaining experience on Beavers, C205's or Otters as they build their careers. What does it take to get into a PC12? What is the route? Obviously, finding someone to hire you but I guess I am asking ..... what is a typical resume (and/or thin resume) that would make this a reasonable goal?

My written exam should be attempted in the next week or two, then I will start the air work more seriously in the fall. After the CPL is complete, then I would tackle the IFR rating. Any suggestions along the way? Would taking a Garmin G1000 course help or is it not the standard? Although I would suspect that any glass panel experience would help pad a resume.....?

Thanks for any input.
Cheers,
Shawn
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Transition to PC12

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Check your PM’s Shawn.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Can you PM me as well. I am in somewhat a similar situation. Thank You

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

Could you please PM me as well? I'm in a similar situation and looking for a change....

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

ohoh...didn't see this coming.... ;-)

Thanks TeePee Creeper for the information. For the benefit of AvCanada followers, anyone want to throw 2 cents in for those (us) lurkers?

Regards,
Shawn

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

ShawnR wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 am ohoh...didn't see this coming.... ;-)

Thanks TeePee Creeper for the information. For the benefit of AvCanada followers, anyone want to throw 2 cents in for those (us) lurkers?

Regards,
Shawn
What did teepee tell you that was so oh oh!

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

marakii

The "ohoh..." was not in reference to what TeePee Creeper told me in a PM, but rather that this thread got away from a general discussion on transitioning into much larger aircraft (of which I expected a lot of input, stories, good chatter, etc....) and became one of asking for personal input. I am trying to learn from other's experience. That's all.

Shawno

Return to “Flight Training”