Manitoba Govt Air Services to be Privatised

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Manitoba Govt Air Services to be Privatised

Post by single_swine_herder »

Here's the link to Winnipeg CTV News.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1434256

SSH
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Manitoba Govt Air Services to be Privatised

Post by digits_ »

Unless you have inside info, it looks like there is "just" an RFP out, doesn't mean it will be awarded. Although they are moving one step closer to privatization.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Good. If private enterprise can do it than the feeding at the trough should end. Before all you government types get all upset don’t forget that many of us have seen how “efficient” you are with those tax payer dollars. :roll:

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Unfortunately, it never works that way. Without competition, private companies are solely motivated by profit to executives and shareholders.

We saw that in Alberta in the 90s under King Ralph. Companies like Telus got Alberta Government Telephones for a song and then promptly raised rates and lowered services in a de facto monopoly.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

You are very forgetful. I remember paying +1.00/minute for long distance within the province back then? What's that now with inflation $1.50???

My phone bill is less now than it was then and I have way more capabilities now with my phone.

Privatization may not be the answer for the entire service but if the threat of it makes people in the public service a little more aware then so be it.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Unfortunately, it never works that way. Without competition, private companies are solely motivated by profit to executives and shareholders.
There is no competition in private companies but if everything is run by Government there will be competition?

But if we let Government run everything we will be better served because there is no profit motive?

Have I got that correct?

neil_ame
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by neil_ame »

Does anyone know where they do their heavy maintenance on the CL415 water bombers?

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

Heavy maintenance in house.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

I can’t see the sense in it..planes cost the same for fuel and mx; pilots get paid on par with the private sector; the only difference is that you now have to tack on an extra 5, 7, 10% for profit...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
spongebob
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spongebob »

Conservative governments don't like taking opportunities away from corporate businesses.

Also, research where the former conservative premier of Manitoba from 1988-1999 is now. Coincidence?

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:51 am I can’t see the sense in it..planes cost the same for fuel and mx; pilots get paid on par with the private sector; the only difference is that you now have to tack on an extra 5, 7, 10% for profit...
The RCAF doesn't think so. There's a reason they awarded heavy mtc and support for the new SAR aircraft to PAL Aerospace. Just like they did for the Gonzo fleet. It used to be internal but it was painfully slow and almost killed that program. Why? Because they rarely did heavy checks because of low aircraft utilizations. Not so with private industry that sees the type consistently and know's where to look for typical problems for that type. A Dash 8 is a Dash 8 right? Not sure if it's cheaper but it's definitely much faster for heavy mtc. Same with the older Hercs.

You can get the same level of mtc from private industry generally with a quicker turnaround time because they often have more staff available that move from project to project.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

So who, exactly, in the private sector has experience doing heavy mx on CL2/415? Some of the government AMEs have 30 years working on that type - it’s literally all they’ve done for their career. Do you really want to hive off all of that work to some mythical, unnamed AMO that will somehow be cheaper, yet still expect the same quality? Further, if you’re looking to shave costs to generate profit, mx isn’t the place to do it....

Also, time for heavy mx isn’t really a factor right now - it’s done in the winter where there aren’t too many fires to put out, so the planes are hangared/stored, and available. Given my above premise that fuel, mx and wages are roughly the same, the one of the few ways to generate extra revenue for leasing costs and profit is to rent the planes out when they’re not needed in Manitoba (during the off season) which will pretty much guarantee problems and delays in heavy mx, because there’s less time to do it.

medi-whacked
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by medi-whacked »

spongebob wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:01 am Conservative governments don't like taking opportunities away from corporate businesses.

Also, research where the former conservative premier of Manitoba from 1988-1999 is now. Coincidence?
So where is Gary Filmon now?
And what do you mean by “coincidence”?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

medi-whacked wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:16 pm
spongebob wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:01 am Conservative governments don't like taking opportunities away from corporate businesses.

So where is Gary Filmon now?
And what do you mean by “coincidence”?
I believe he is on the board of directors for EIC which owns Perimeter, Calm Air, etc

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

mmm..bacon wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 pm So who, exactly, in the private sector has experience doing heavy mx on CL2/415? Some of the government AMEs have 30 years working on that type - it’s literally all they’ve done for their career. Do you really want to hive off all of that work to some mythical, unnamed AMO that will somehow be cheaper, yet still expect the same quality? Further, if you’re looking to shave costs to generate profit, mx isn’t the place to do it....

Also, time for heavy mx isn’t really a factor right now - it’s done in the winter where there aren’t too many fires to put out, so the planes are hangared/stored, and available. Given my above premise that fuel, mx and wages are roughly the same, the one of the few ways to generate extra revenue for leasing costs and profit is to rent the planes out when they’re not needed in Manitoba (during the off season) which will pretty much guarantee problems and delays in heavy mx, because there’s less time to do it.
I believe Alberta privatized their 215 fleet several years ago. Have there been problems with their maintenance or reliability since then?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The government AMEs probably go work for the private organization that takes over the maintenance. No?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

^ & ^ ^ Yes, but that then goes back to my original contention that I can’t see how it’s cheaper, as the mx costs are the same, and you still have to tack on a profit margin...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Usually less bureaucracy. Manager's manager gets laid off. Do they really need a 415 chief pilot and a bird dog chief pilot? (Hypothetical exampmes). The pressure to make a profit is what drives costs down. Government organizations aren't trying to make a profit, therefore don't care about costs as much.

If the system is made 10% more cost efficient, 5% profit margin, 5% lower cost to tax payers.

letsfly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letsfly »

Where is Filmon now?

Well, Chairman of the board for EIC, Which owns
CALMAIR
PERIMETER
KEEWATIN
CUSTOM HELICOPTER
PAL East Coast
WASAYA (SOON)
and in the back pocket of the Conservative Government. SO, who would you think has the upper hand in taking over 100% of Manitoba Government Air Service. Correct!!!!!!!
Not a very competitive method of dispersing assets!

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

Privatization is rarely about costs, although the idea is sold to the public more easily if they believe that.

Return to “General Comments”