Ornge

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ornge

Post by indieadventurer »

Hi, looking for info on Ornge, pay, schedule, moral, upgrade times. Haven't seen a posting for pilots recently, safe to assume guys and gals are happy there? Feel free to PM.
---------- ADS -----------

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Ornge

Anyone? Even second hand info would be appreciated...

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Well this is over a year old, however they are on contract.

FO's start in low-mid forties with upgrade times being 2-3 years or more (Captains don't leave). When upgraded a new Captain can apparently make 90K in year one with a bit of OT. Schedule is 4 on 4 off, rotating days and nights 12 hour shifts.

If you are hired, you will end up in Timmins or Sioux Lookout until you have seniority that will allow Thunder Bay.

AND everything I just wrote is BS as I just saw the Job Ad for Captains....

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

flyinhigh wrote:Well this is over a year old, however they are on contract.

FO's start in low-mid forties with upgrade times being 2-3 years or more (Captains don't leave). When upgraded a new Captain can apparently make 90K in year one with a bit of OT. Schedule is 4 on 4 off, rotating days and nights 12 hour shifts.

If you are hired, you will end up in Timmins or Sioux Lookout until you have seniority that will allow Thunder Bay.

AND everything I just wrote is BS as I just saw the Job Ad for Captains....
:lol: If you can't laugh at yourself once in a while you ain't livin' right. The last line made me spit my coffee all over my iPad. Well played sir.

- Toeless.

acid_burn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by acid_burn »

Well, if you have 500 pic and anything close or over 2000, you'll get direct entry or at least a quick upgrade. YQT is also an option now for direct entry. Lots of people are leaving with no one coming in with experience to go captain. So if you are ok with medevac/northern living/good pay, then apply away. The moral is low right now as management is dropping the hammer on the medics contract. FW contract is still in negotiation.

But right now we are very short on pilots. So if you want a position, apply away!

Hope that helps

Cheers.

Romance checklist complete.
supersonic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by supersonic »

Well, one of my buddies works there and he says its a 4 on 4 off schedule, either 2 days 2 nights with 4 off or 4 days or 4 nights and 4 off depending on the base. I think that was mentioned before in another post. Where you get posted is random, either YTS, YXL or YQT, depending on how internal bidding for positions end up and where the vacancies are. You can't count on being at any given base when hired so be prepared to be at any of the bases until you can or want to bid elsewhere. Pay is good from what I hear but he wouldn't give me firm numbers and it doesn't seem to be on their website either so I've got nothing there, maybe it's a union thing? Not sure. Seems like a good company as long as you don't mind the night shifts.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

If anyone knows, could they please post captain salary and benefit information? Are they still in negots for their new contract?

pilatusjunky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilatusjunky »

Like any company do your homework. Ornge is no exception!! Having said that, I know there's not much info out there about them. Probably because they have a legal department and their employees are on a gag order. If a company needs a gag order, then there's some significant issues with that company. I'll explore a few with you. One: a senior manager has said he'll only follow the union contract when it benefits him. Two: scheduling doesn't care about the contract either or wether your employee group agreed to a two day two night rotation...they'll schedule you whenever and however they want. Go ahead and grieve it! It'll take 6 months to a year before it gets processed. Three: because they have so many guys leaving (50% in 12 months), the pilots that are staying behind are routinely getting their day shifts moved to nights. Their day shifts are then offered out as overtime. Simply put, night shifts suck and guys don't want to work them. Fatigue?? Don't work don't get paid. Simple math
On the plusses, the salary and benefits are decent.
In the end, if you have the time to meet Ornge's requirements, then you have the time to get to the airlines. Go get your seniority number and be patient and wait for the left seat to come. If you're still a bit short, then go get some metro, or 1900 time. If you want night PC12 time... a decent salary and benefits then go to Ornge. Just don't expect to be appreciated or respected there, cause in the end you are, "just a pilot."

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Sounds like someone is disgruntled. Nice first post

I have a buddy who has been there since ornges inception. Things could be better, but in reality it is probably on of the best options out there for this line of work.

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

There's much worse places to work then Ornge.....

dogfood
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dogfood »

Much much worse

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 am Sounds like someone is disgruntled. Nice first post

I have a buddy who has been there since ornges inception. Things could be better, but in reality it is probably on of the best options out there for this line of work.
Could be, but is his information correct?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

From the discussions I've had, they are not.
That was about six months ago however.

Xonga013
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Xonga013 »

Is there any way to apply for a certain base or you get no saying where they place you?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Xonga013 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 am Is there any way to apply for a certain base or you get no saying where they place you?
Apply and ask when they contact you.

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

3rd posting since the new year for these guys, I get guys are leaving for the regionals but the pay and pension there is pretty good for that kinda flying isn’t it? Anything else going on, bad moral, night flying getting to too many ppl??

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I think it’s more to do with how busy the bases are, and living in a place where most people wouldnt want to live.

Ornge is a great company but if you don’t want to fly your a$$ off and live in YXL or YQT cause Home is further south..... also the chance a chance of a duty out and not getting Home to see kids, wife, gf, may not be for everyone.

If you can swing it lifestyle wise and you are ok with the schedule again no better place to be.

Return to “Employment Forum”