Tired of the Canadian Aviation Industry

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Tired of the Canadian Aviation Industry

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

With all the nitty bitty threads about "oh this operator sucks" or "for the love of god, please tell me they pay more" to "where can I get a good lifestyle", my conclusion is this: the industry in Canada is a complete and utter flop. The pay is substandard, the cost of living is insane, taxes are sky high and lifestyle, well what is lifestyle? If you know of an operator that pays well with a good lifestyle where you can actually pay off your debt, live a financially rewarding life and buy a home, be there with your kids, point me in the right direction.

Elsewhere in the world, operators are paying double, if not triple of what Canadian companies are paying. Trying to find a good lifestyle combined with good paying jobs are far fetched. The reality is that regional airline life is not worthy of a long term career and lets be real here, not everyone is going to get on with AC. So what is everyone else going to do? What are your alternate plans? Are you going to be continuing to rake in a mere $50-80k per year at the regionals for the rest of your life living in overpriced hubs, or are you thinking of going overseas perhaps to find something more financially rewarding? Many of the regional pilots live with roommates, are overworked, live with mom or dad in the basement because they can't afford to give more than half their paycheck towards rent. $200-300k tax free abroad as a skipper (or FO) on a jet living in warmer places than Canada where the living costs are far less with almost free health insurance-seems very appealing to me. No I did not get an AC PFO-I just don't like the idea of getting sub par pay flying for the Canadian flag carrier living in an expensive city like Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. It is not a pilot shortage-it is a pay/lifestyle shortage/issue, and more people are informed and smart these days to not get into aviation as they see that other industries are far more rewarding. Food for thought. :smt014
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Tired of the Canadian Aviation Industry

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Totally agree. $55,000 starting pay at our flag carrier is an absolute disgrace. If the Americans were to open the floodgates to pilots, the Canadian Aviation scene would be a ghostown.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Are you current on a type that is in demand?

If so, apply early as the recruitment process can take six months or more.

When you say "warmer places than Canada" make sure you can tolerate it when it feels like mid 50s C.

Budget $15000-17000 USD per kid per year for school.

Rent will well exceed your mortgage.

A few hours with a doc cost me nearly $1000. Insurance covered $40.

When locals are hired on three month contracts and expats start getting terminated make sure you have a plan b.

That's Shanghai on the right with an air quality index of 430. Anything over 301 is hazardous.

Make sure you know what you're getting into.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 pm With all the nitty bitty threads about "oh this operator sucks" or "for the love of god, please tell me they pay more" to "where can I get a good lifestyle", my conclusion is this: the industry in Canada is a complete and utter flop. The pay is substandard, the cost of living is insane, taxes are sky high and lifestyle, well what is lifestyle? If you know of an operator that pays well with a good lifestyle where you can actually pay off your debt, live a financially rewarding life and buy a home, be there with your kids, point me in the right direction.

Elsewhere in the world, operators are paying double, if not triple of what Canadian companies are paying. Trying to find a good lifestyle combined with good paying jobs are far fetched. The reality is that regional airline life is not worthy of a long term career and lets be real here, not everyone is going to get on with AC. So what is everyone else going to do? What are your alternate plans? Are you going to be continuing to rake in a mere $50-80k per year at the regionals for the rest of your life living in overpriced hubs, or are you thinking of going overseas perhaps to find something more financially rewarding? Many of the regional pilots live with roommates, are overworked, live with mom or dad in the basement because they can't afford to give more than half their paycheck towards rent. $200-300k tax free abroad as a skipper (or FO) on a jet living in warmer places than Canada where the living costs are far less with almost free health insurance-seems very appealing to me. No I did not get an AC PFO-I just don't like the idea of getting sub par pay flying for the Canadian flag carrier living in an expensive city like Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. It is not a pilot shortage-it is a pay/lifestyle shortage/issue, and more people are informed and smart these days to not get into aviation as they see that other industries are far more rewarding. Food for thought. :smt014
Any statistics on the number of retired airline pilots who are homeless?
There are a large number of homeless Veterans.
Airline pilots have nothing to complain about when there are homeless guys/gals out there who had bullets whiz by their heads to give you continued freedom.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

telex wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:30 am Are you current on a type that is in demand?

If so, apply early as the recruitment process can take six months or more.

When you say "warmer places than Canada" make sure you can tolerate it when it feels like mid 50s C.

Budget $15000-17000 USD per kid per year for school.

Rent will well exceed your mortgage.

A few hours with a doc cost me nearly $1000. Insurance covered $40.

When locals are hired on three month contracts and expats start getting terminated make sure you have a plan b.

That's Shanghai on the right with an air quality index of 430. Anything over 301 is hazardous.

Make sure you know what you're getting into.
FOD is absolutely wright, I'm not sure what you thought when a warmer climat was mentionned but the air in the warmer climat that i know is as healthy as the air in Canada.

Kids school is taken care of (5 stars western education).

Rent is taken care of, you will choose between a 5 BR villa or a 5 star condo with a privat beach (ordinary beaches are as good as the privat ones).

Doc is covered as well as 80% of the medicines.

Yes locals are being hired at a greater pace than 10 years ago but you will still have a job in 2040 if you don't Fcuk up too much :partyman: :weedman:

That's only me. cheers.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I’m a Captain at Jazz. Yes a Canadian regional airline. With my and my spouses pay we are doing awesome. I really am living the dream, thanks anyway

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I am an FO for a regional and run my own business on the side and still struggle to support my family in Toronto. I'm considering ditching the whole airline dream and going back to my software engineering career.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

bearitus wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 am I am an FO for a regional and run my own business on the side and still struggle to support my family in Toronto. I'm considering ditching the whole airline dream and going back to my software engineering career.
Living beyond ones means is usually the cause of struggle now days. For example I bet you and your partner each have a cell phone where as years ago, families only had one landline phone. There's hundreds of dollars that could be saved per year.
Don't start a family if you can't afford it is another option.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

bearitus wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 amToronto
There's your problem, too expensive.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Home is home for me. I doubt very much whether you could convince me to leave Canada (depending where but most places are a no for me).

I enjoy what I do, where I live, and I have a good quality of life. The key is living within your means and I've learned that the hard way once already. I do however agree with FOD's last remark; I think when many people realize how much it costs to get your training done versus what the return is like for the first while, they are very likely to seek out something else unless they are beyond certain that this is what they want to do.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am
bearitus wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 am I am an FO for a regional and run my own business on the side and still struggle to support my family in Toronto. I'm considering ditching the whole airline dream and going back to my software engineering career.
Living beyond ones means is usually the cause of struggle now days. For example I bet you and your partner each have a cell phone where as years ago, families only had one landline phone. There's hundreds of dollars that could be saved per year.
A Pilot has to be able to afford a cell phone with whatever data he needs and should be able to live anywhere he wishes in his country this isn't living beyond his means and he has to be able to afford whatever reasonable stuff he needs without counting his yellow coins, if you want to live miserably and help drag the industry down is your problem but don't lecture anybody that want's to live decently.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Anticyclone wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:15 pm
A Pilot has to be able to afford a cell phone with whatever data he needs this isn't living beyond his means and he has to be able to afford whatever reasonable stuff he needs without counting his yellow coins, if you want to live miserably and help drag the industry down is your problem but don't lecture anybody that want's to live decently.
Did you bring this up with your employer?
Others are doing well, you are in the minority.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:25 pm
Anticyclone wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:15 pm

A Pilot has to be able to afford a cell phone with whatever data he needs this isn't living beyond his means and he has to be able to afford whatever reasonable stuff he needs without counting his yellow coins, if you want to live miserably and help drag the industry down is your problem but don't lecture anybody that want's to live decently.
Did you bring this up with your employer?
Others are doing well, you are in the minority.
Absolutely i told him i don't work for peanuts and left with no job to go to, believe it or not !

Jumbo744
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jumbo744 »

Are you serious? You are saying that they should share 1 cell phone? How is that possible? especially for a pilot who is away half of the month and needs to keep in touch with his partner?

And you think this is normal for a pilot to not being able to afford 2 cell phones? WTF!! your standard is very low. Right, Let's all downgrade our lifestyles to live with the @#@?%&# salaries offered by the regionals while the CEOs are making millions.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Both FODs,

Couldn’t agree more.

Even at AC, it’s a joke. 4 years flat pay, Toronto & Vancouver have been sold to China. I don’t know how people do it without commuting. I assume mommy and daddy paid for the flight training and/or passed down the real estate boom money.

Honestly, finding a place to rent is like going on a diamond search expedition and when you find one, you’re paying big bucks. At $40k/yr, with student loans, how would you survive.

My friends at Delta, make much more and in metros like Atlanta, have beautiful houses at $400k.

Canada is a joke!

ActionAxson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ActionAxson »

Jumbo744 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 am
Are you serious? You are saying that they should share 1 cell phone? How is that possible? especially for a pilot who is away half of the month and needs to keep in touch with his partner?

And you think this is normal for a pilot to not being able to afford 2 cell phones? WTF!! your standard is very low. Right, Let's all downgrade our lifestyles to live with the @#@?%&# salaries offered by the regionals while the CEOs are making millions.

RoadRunner is an obvious troll as seen in the "Huge discouragement thread". He is the reincarnation of that Nicky Nick character from a couple years ago.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

ActionAxson wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 am
Jumbo744 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 am

RoadRunner is an obvious troll as seen in the "Huge discouragement thread". He is the reincarnation of that Nicky Nick character from a couple years ago.
:lol: :lol: :toimonster:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I've made over 150k/yr at Jazz for the past 3 years. Would I like to make more? Sure but I'm living comfortably. I live where I want to be. Don't go through more than 1.5 time zones in a day (thanks NFLD!) Sure there's big money overseas but there's trade offs.

Let’s Go Brandon
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Canada is an amazing country and I feel very privileged to live and work here. The only other place I would even consider working is Western Europe

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 pm Elsewhere in the world, operators are paying double, if not triple of what Canadian companies are paying. Trying to find a good lifestyle combined with good paying jobs are far fetched. The reality is that regional airline life is not worthy of a long term career and lets be real here, not everyone is going to get on with AC. So what is everyone else going to do? What are your alternate plans? Are you going to be continuing to rake in a mere $50-80k per year at the regionals for the rest of your life living in overpriced hubs, or are you thinking of going overseas perhaps to find something more financially rewarding? Many of the regional pilots live with roommates, are overworked, live with mom or dad in the basement because they can't afford to give more than half their paycheck towards rent. $200-300k tax free abroad as a skipper (or FO) on a jet living in warmer places than Canada where the living costs are far less with almost free health insurance-seems very appealing to me. No I did not get an AC PFO-I just don't like the idea of getting sub par pay flying for the Canadian flag carrier living in an expensive city like Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. It is not a pilot shortage-it is a pay/lifestyle shortage/issue, and more people are informed and smart these days to not get into aviation as they see that other industries are far more rewarding. Food for thought. :smt014
You paint a very idealised picture of life overseas. If it was so easy as you seem to think we'd all be doing it.

I made a lot less than $200K working in S Asia - but I did pay off all debt and my mortgage. I keep hearing about how you can work for 5 years in China and then retire - funny I've never met anyone that's done this or heard about anyone that's done this either.

Lifestyle can have its challenges depending on location - I was able to adapt. Others couldn't last 6 months.

As stated previously do your research and know what you're getting into.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

Return to “General Comments”