Fairchid Husky

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Fairchid Husky

Post by Antique Pilot »

Husky and Barkley Grow at Norway House c1960
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
27916959-B647-4465-9050-801EBABBEB7E.jpeg
27916959-B647-4465-9050-801EBABBEB7E.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4704 times
JayJennings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JayJennings »

In the 70's I flew for Island Airlines out of Tahsis. We had EIR for several months there and SAQ for a bit. EIR was Alvis powered at that time, cant remember if SAQ was.

We affectionately called the Husky the "Wallowing Wonderbeast"

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

The last data I have on SAQ is that it was donated to CMFT in 1976. I saw it at Crescent Beach about 1985. As for EIR my files says it was written off in 1977 at Council Bluffs, BC . The remains may be with the Bush Pilots Museum in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

AP

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Could there have been another engine mod in mind. I was on the fringes of the deal, Barney lent me to Harrison for a cpl weeks and I can remember the husky being in gimli and the bottom line was they were getting together for an engine mod, this was circa 1974, maybe it was a conversion to replace the conversion. Wish my memory wasn't so fuzzy -- :mrgreen: maybe to 1340 ?

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

valleyboy wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 am Could there have been another engine mod in mind. I was on the fringes of the deal, Barney lent me to Harrison for a cpl weeks and I can remember the husky being in gimli and the bottom line was they were getting together for an engine mod, this was circa 1974, maybe it was a conversion to replace the conversion. Wish my memory wasn't so fuzzy -- :mrgreen: maybe to 1340 ?
I honestly don’t know if there was another engine conversion in the works. I will ask around.

AP

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

valleyboy wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 am Could there have been another engine mod in mind. I was on the fringes of the deal, Barney lent me to Harrison for a cpl weeks and I can remember the husky being in gimli and the bottom line was they were getting together for an engine mod, this was circa 1974, maybe it was a conversion to replace the conversion. Wish my memory wasn't so fuzzy -- :mrgreen: maybe to 1340 ?
I did a bit of digging this evening. I can’t find any info on a conversion to replace the conversion. However there were several engines which were looked at for the original design in 1946. They were: Wright CB-7A, P&W 1340, P&W 985, even a Fairchild Ranger engine. The Ontario Provincial Air Service said that they would buy 20-25 Husky’s but only if they were equipped with the 985 engine. So Fairchild designed the aircraft around the 985 in anticipation of a big order from the OPAS. In the end the OPAS didn’t buy any Husky’s but bought Beavers instead.

AP

ShakyJake
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShakyJake »

I have been looking for specs on the CB-7A engine. Cannot find anything.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

ShakyJake wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:54 am I have been looking for specs on the CB-7A engine. Cannot find anything.
It was 800 hp. Probably some derivative of the R1820.

AP

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

CF-SAQ was purchased new by the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Service and flew out of their Regina base in 1947. Legend has it that the SAAS was the worlds first government sponsored dedicated air ambulance service. SAQ was also the airplane Fairchild used to develop a JATO system and when I flew the airplane, it still had the JATO fire push button on the center pedestal and some of the fuselage fittings for the JATO bottles.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kenair »

Hi, I received this photos from WG last week as part of the Saunders Aircraft Research Project https://saundersaircraft.blogspot.com/p ... earch.html

alawys lookin for more Saunders info and stories, you can email me at kenkalynuk@gmail.com or post on the Saunders thread at viewtopic.php?f=54&t=130130&p=1078438&h ... s#p1066809 or our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2763480 ... =bookmarks

Recognize any faces?

~ 1972 this Husky C-GCYV was delivered to the Saunders Aircraft Sheet Metal School in Gimli and the students under the guidance of the instructors rebuilt the husky , I'll post photos below or the album is at https://photos.google.com/u/2/?pli=1

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kenair »

don't know why the google album photo do not show up, let's try a link to Facebook

kenair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kenair »

link to the Facebook photo works, let's try a few more photos

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”