Sim Eval 2018

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dustincanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sim Eval 2018

Post by dustincanuck »

Yah I know it is kinda crazy but I'm just taking the opportunities that come to me. We'll see I haven't got a job offer yet but hopefully soon. I think the plan is the RJ. I would like to be in YVR or yyc and I hear both YVR and yyc RJ is a pretty good schedule. Anything would be amazing though so we'll just see what happens. Not Seneca btw but similar.
---------- ADS -----------

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

250 hours and no Multi PIC...boy! You might spend your life right seat.
Good for you if you nail it but not so good for our industry IMHO. :rolleyes: :roll:

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

I don't mind flying with 250 hour guys as long as they have a good attitude and realize that they wont be doing any of the challenging approach/landings. The only thing I am not a fan of is doing stand up after stand up and being bagged and having the responsibility as a captain to ensure safe operation of the aircraft with someone with 0 experience.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Loner wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:43 am 250 hours and no Multi PIC...boy! You might spend your life right seat.
Good for you if you nail it but not so good for our industry IMHO. :rolleyes: :roll:
Pffft, no they won't.

But keep up with the rhetoric.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Lightchop wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:53 am If you're like any of the other low time college hires I've flown with, I'm not worried.

Word of advice, ignore the haters. At training, in the hotel etc. you'll likely get a bit of chirps even if they are in a "nice way." Just put your head down, work your ass off, minimize the time you spend at the lobby lounge and bid the jet if you can. Everyone will tell you to take the classic since you're lower time. Don't. Bid the RJ.
If you want to set yourself up for the best chance at success, you should choose the most suitable type. For a 250 Hr pilot, that is likely not the CRJ.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

I have flown both types of aircraft at Jazz. Both the Crj and Classic. The dash is a much better aircraft for a 250 hour wonder.

The crj is too much aircraft, flown in high density airspace and would limits the stick and rudder time compared to the classic. Do yourself a favor and bid for classic or q....

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Canoehead wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 pm
Lightchop wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:53 am If you're like any of the other low time college hires I've flown with, I'm not worried.

Word of advice, ignore the haters. At training, in the hotel etc. you'll likely get a bit of chirps even if they are in a "nice way." Just put your head down, work your ass off, minimize the time you spend at the lobby lounge and bid the jet if you can. Everyone will tell you to take the classic since you're lower time. Don't. Bid the RJ.
If you want to set yourself up for the best chance at success, you should choose the most suitable type. For a 250 Hr pilot, that is likely not the CRJ.
It's the easiest type I've ever done. Everything is QRC, the FMS is better, the A/P is better, hell... the training pilots are better. Everything is better.

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

Lightchop wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 pm
Canoehead wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 pm

It's the easiest type I've ever done. Everything is QRC, the FMS is better, the A/P is better, hell... the training pilots are better. Everything is better.
Couldn't agree more

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Lightchop wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 pm It's the easiest type I've ever done. Everything is QRC, the FMS is better, the A/P is better, hell... the training pilots are better. Everything is better.
Do you have support for those comments? It's got nothing to do with what someone thinks is "better" about the airplane (or broadly thinks about their fellow pilots). It's about what is better for the prospective candidate to ensure the best opportunity for success.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Canoehead wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am
Lightchop wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:08 pm It's the easiest type I've ever done. Everything is QRC, the FMS is better, the A/P is better, hell... the training pilots are better. Everything is better.
Do you have support for those comments? It's got nothing to do with what someone thinks is "better" about the airplane (or broadly thinks about their fellow pilots). It's about what is better for the prospective candidate to ensure the best opportunity for success.
Well I only had piston experience, no uni.. And I'm certainly not the smartest person I know. I've also done a Q400 type and found it more work and more difficult. Mostly due to the excessive memory items and numerous "gotchas" the aircraft has. They both fly about the same hands and feet wise aside from the yaw in the Q400.

I know a few college hires that went into the jet all with no issues. On the flip side I know a few high time and experienced turbo prop pilots who had issues in the Q400 training.

Everyone's different, this is just my personal opinion.

YMMV

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

The support is in the comment you quoted. The entire aircraft is better designed from a pilots perspective. The A/P, FMS, QRC alone are huge difference makers in my opinion.

I had a lot more experience when I did the Q rating. Granted I haven't flown it but everyone I've spoken to about it said the dash classic rating is the hardest in the fleet. It's all old school, same amount if not more memory items than the Q. Same garbage FMS, terrible FCP/altsel etc. If that's what you're after then great.

If we're solely speaking from an initial hire "recipe for success" angle, I believe the RJ is the easiest rating.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:16 pm
The support is in the comment you quoted. The entire aircraft is better designed from a pilots perspective. The A/P, FMS, QRC alone are huge difference makers in my opinion.

I had a lot more experience when I did the Q rating. Granted I haven't flown it but everyone I've spoken to about it said the dash classic rating is the hardest in the fleet. It's all old school, same amount if not more memory items than the Q. Same garbage FMS, terrible FCP/altsel etc. If that's what you're after then great.

If we're solely speaking from an initial hire "recipe for success" angle, I believe the RJ is the easiest rating.
Until line indoc comes along and that QRC stays in the side pocket and now you're flying high density pedal to the metal Stars in the US....

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

FL-280 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Until line indoc comes along and that QRC stays in the side pocket and now you're flying high density pedal to the metal Stars in the US....
The only place I would be concerned going with a brand new person on the RJ is a night flight to DCA. I would just fly it so problem solved.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Yeah and that's super fun and it made me a hell of a better pilot. I'll take high density US over YXY and YDF etc. any day.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I think you fellas are missing the point.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Rupert.Pupkin wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:24 pm

The only place I would be concerned going with a brand new person on the RJ is a night flight to DCA. I would just fly it so problem solved.
Agreed, heck even the day. But damn finding that river is difficult on a dim night.

When I was an FO, I flew with a Captain who was new on type and asked me to fly it so he could be PM first. He was a bit on the edge of his seat the whole way, that final turn is a fun one for someone who's never done it before.

The expressway visual into LGA was a good one too, but that's no longer a destination of ours.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Canoehead wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 pm I think you fellas are missing the point.
No, we just disagree. Which is fine, I understand your point. Have you flown the RJ?.. not sure if I missed that somewhere up there.

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

I think the point shouldn't be centred around which aircraft is the easiest to pass in the sim, or which aircraft is the most taxing to fly. Instead, I think it should be centred on which aircraft is the most conducive to developing good piloting knowledge and skills for a low-time pilot. In my opinion, that's the DH8, hands-down.

Rupert.Pupkin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rupert.Pupkin »

DH8Pilot wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 am I think the point shouldn't be centred around which aircraft is the easiest to pass in the sim, or which aircraft is the most taxing to fly. Instead, I think it should be centred on which aircraft is the most conducive to developing good piloting knowledge and skills for a low-time pilot. In my opinion, that's the DH8, hands-down.
Define good piloting knowledge and skills. The reality is all of our aircraft have autopilot so its not very difficult no matter which aircraft you are on. Plus you have a captain to hold your hand the entire way.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It doesn't really matter what you fly at Jazz. The pay is the same. The training is second to none. Go in with a good attitude. I found the RJ FMS a little more user friendly. The Dash classic is a "pilots" airplane. Very hands on and forgiving. Nice and slow and built like a tank. The Q400 is like a high maintenance Dash 8 classic. You have to be a bit more on your game with performance numbers etc and the yaw every time you change pitch and power is annoying. Other than that it's a great place to work. Small enough bases that you get to know everyone eventually.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”