Getting my Class 1 medical renewed outside of Canada

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Getting my Class 1 medical renewed outside of Canada

Post by Qdrivermann »

Was wondering how that works - will be on holidays over in Europe with wife/kids and thought it might be easier to get my Class 1 renewed by one of the listed Docs on the Transport website. Can these Docs access a candidates file electronically directly from their medical examination facilities, or do they just do the exam/ECG etc then stamp the booklet and send the paperwork in to Transport? It has been a few years since I renewed my Canadian Class 1 and I have never used a Transport approved medical examiner outside of Canada. Has anybody here renewed outside of Canada in Europe and know how all that works and what kind of access these Docs have to our files?
I just don’t want to take the time to do the renewal, then move on while on holidays to find out later there is a problem, or the Doc forgot something or needs to see me again etc.
Any info or, previous experience with this appreciated!
Qmann
---------- ADS -----------

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Getting my Class 1 medical renewed outside of Canada

Post by 5x5 »

One option would be to contact the doctor you plan to use directly and confirm all this before you go. Even if someone else relates their personal experience doesn't mean yours would be the same. I'd want to be as sure as possible that everything was going to go right before I'd take the time on holidays to get my medical renewed overseas. Besides, if something does get tangled up in bureaucracy you could wind up in limbo and possibly not flying while it's sorted out.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Can these Docs access a candidates file electronically directly from their medical examination facilities,...
I don't think any doctor inside or outside Canada has access to TC records; none of the four doctors I have used in the last eight years have. Doctors do have access to and will update their own medical records about you (which they are obliged to keep under their own requirements for professional standards of care - as they are for any patient they see, for any reason) but those have nothing to do with Transport Canada.
...or do they just do the exam/ECG etc then stamp the booklet and send the paperwork in to Transport?
That is exactly what all CAMEs do, inside Canada.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

If it's been a few years since you had a medical there would appear to be no rush. Get it done in Canada.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

If they are certified to do Canadian medicals then you are all good. They stamp the book and send the paperwork in. No big deal.

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

Thanks for the feedback people. I have a job interview that got lined up before we left Canada and the interviewer scheduled the interview/meeting right after we are back and I need a valid Class 01 on my Canadian ATPL to attend the interview. I have two valid Class 01 medicals but on foreign ATPLs. There really wasn’t any time before nor will there be when we return home - heading up to Europe tomorrow and will be attending the medical in Zurich, Switzerland. I figure the Swiss doctor should be a safe bet - after Swizerland we’ll be up in Germany so if they do need to see me again or, something goes wrong I can pop back down to Switzerland - but we’re really hoping that won’t be necessary.
I was always under the impression that the Canadian CAMEs can access our files electronically when they stamp the booklet. I didn’t know that they send in our medical paperwork directly via the post office to Transport. But, I guess once we get the stamp - thats what is important! Good to know!
Thanks again for the feedback.

Floatinghog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floatinghog »

Good question.
Hog

Last edited by Floatinghog on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ventus2cxt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ventus2cxt »

Yes still paperwork no computer entry

Good habit to have a copy of your last medical with you in case you move or go expat

Return to “Health & Fitness”