PML Portal

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: PML Portal

Post by KenoraPilot »

For myself I live and luckily work in Alberta for Jazz which is uniquely situated as AC doesn't have anything in AB. The thought of commuting for the rest of my life and 4 years of crap starting pay at AC when I just had my first child?!?! Currently I don't make a ton as a Captain but its very livable in Alberta and my schedule is pretty good, lots of overnights at home and basically get the schedule I want. Money isn't the be all and end all of it for me at least. I'd rather have time at home and a schedule I can live with then having to commute to YYZ or YVR for the rest of my career for a bigger plane and more money. At the end of the day an overnight is an overnight and with a new family I am far from wanting to do International long haul stuff (RP etc). I've been flying for 14 years and Jazz is pretty great place to settle in my opinion. There is lots of work to be done on the contract but I am in it for the long haul and willing to put in the effort to fix it for myself and all the other Jazz pilots ahead and behind me. (And I am under 35)

If you live and work in YYZ you'd be pretty silly not to go to AC as its probably the best YYZ based job in Canada and you're under 35! lol.

Just my two cents :)
---------- ADS -----------

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Anyone on here get a call lately?

I've been told by my friends at AC who are involved in training, that they are preparing for a large influx of new hires this fall.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Large influx doesn't mean it'll come from Jazz. When you have a 705 crew that cost you as low as 115$ per block hour why would you facilitate them going to big red ? Way more economical to poach from OTS. When I see it, I'll believe it but I remain highly sceptical. AC doesn't even promise you an interview anymore, the whole 80% express is also gone and both companies are completely silent and they've even stopped promoting the PML at the recent interviews. We all took a gamble and we all hope it'll pay eventually but I wouldn't stick around another 1-2 years only to find out it's still 75% WJ/Encore hires per GS.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I wonder how many Jazz pilots are leaving to other airlines, corporate and 703/704. I myself am a bit disheartened by the slow upgrades and lack of movement to AC. I am enjoying my time at Jazz but when cost of living and feeding your family is double your salary you start asking questions...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

bearitus wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:52 pm I wonder how many Jazz pilots are leaving to other airlines, corporate and 703/704. I myself am a bit disheartened by the slow upgrades and lack of movement to AC. I am enjoying my time at Jazz but when cost of living and feeding your family is double your salary you start asking questions...

This.

There are a lot of people leaving and I know a few who have been exploring other options.

There's going to come a time where AC is going to have to realize they're losing people either way. May as well bring them on as they are familiar with the operation and have already been invested in with the training at Jazz. The carrot can only go so far and a lot of people are not happy to see so many WJ hires as of late while more or less completely ignoring Jazz.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Tough spot for AC - keep the troops happy, and the training costs lower at Jazz, or deal WJ a large kick in the 'nads - just like Wj did to Jazz ~ 2005/6/7...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that things will pick up in the fall. The reduced hiring from Jazz seen recently might be entirely a function of the dramatic numbers hired from 2015-2017, and the limited crews Jazz had for the summer of 2017. However, I think the fall will be quite decisive in respect to what AC does.

While the trend to hire OTS is understandable from a financial standpoint, Express hiring is necessary to maintain a continued flow of applicants to AC's associated regionals. Otherwise, who wouldn't go to Encore, with guaranteed flow to Westjet and a higher probability of getting on with AC?

For me, I'm somewhat limited on being able to leave Jazz until early next year. However, if after that point it is clear AC is still barely hiring from us, I will be actively looking to leave, and I know I'm not alone.

Interestingly enough, Jazz might quickly become the new PML to FlyDubai, especially if people get stuck here.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

DH8Pilot wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:52 am I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that things will pick up in the fall. The reduced hiring from Jazz seen recently might be entirely a function of the dramatic numbers hired from 2015-2017, and the limited crews Jazz had for the summer of 2017. However, I think the fall will be quite decisive in respect to what AC does.

While the trend to hire OTS is understandable from a financial standpoint, Express hiring is necessary to maintain a continued flow of applicants to AC's associated regionals. Otherwise, who wouldn't go to Encore, with guaranteed flow to Westjet and a higher probability of getting on with AC?

For me, I'm somewhat limited on being able to leave Jazz until early next year. However, if after that point it is clear AC is still barely hiring from us, I will be actively looking to leave, and I know I'm not alone.

Interestingly enough, Jazz might quickly become the new PML to FlyDubai, especially if people get stuck here.
FlyDubai? Unlikely.. AT and SW? most definitely. I think we're still waiting for it to sink into the brains of management at AC and Jazz that the current climate will not support their plans for low wages everywhere. This is especially noticeable when you bring it up to them or your union reps and they start off with 'well 25 years ago..." or 'in '96....'

Those days are over.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

In ‘96 the wages were about the same and you could get gas for 59 cents and your hydro bill was $250/yr instead of $250/month.

Let’s Go Brandon
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

One shocking thing I heard the other day was someone at Jazz not realizing there was a divide between the new and old pay scale pilots. That kinda blew me away a little bit that some people don't recognize there is a divide amongst the pilots.......maybe that was me being naive. :(

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

A lot of the more senior A scale pilots have no idea, nor do they care. Theres only a very small select group of vocal ones that are concerned we are going to go after their pay etc. to increase ours.

jorgeherrera.ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jorgeherrera.ca »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 pm They and only they know that. Anything you hear is just conjecture. I’ve been hearing since the day I got hired in 2015 that mainline would be picking up the hiring any day now.... still here and feeling farther from mainline than ever.

Last edited by jorgeherrera.ca on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

jorgeherrera.ca wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:02 pm
PositiveRate27 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 pm They and only they know that. Anything you hear is just conjecture. I’ve been hearing since the day I got hired in 2015 that mainline would be picking up the hiring any day now.... still here and feeling farther from mainline than ever.
hmmm...I'd ask around if I were you...something's up...I personally know a guy who got into Jazz (CRJ) last year and is already on mainline flying the 37...
No you don't.

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

Lightchop wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 pm
hmmm...I'd ask around if I were you...something's up...I personally know a guy who got into Jazz (CRJ) last year and is already on mainline flying the 37...
No you don't.
I agree. Virtually everyone getting the call today off the FPML list has been at the company for at least two years.

jorgeherrera.ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

No you don't.

Last edited by jorgeherrera.ca on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorgeherrera.ca
Rank 0
Rank 0

No you don't.

Last edited by jorgeherrera.ca on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

jorgeherrera.ca wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 pm

No you don't.
I'm not saying that is the case for everyone. What I am saying is I DO know ONE guy who spent 1 year at Jazz on the CRJ and is now flying Mainline on the 37.
Not someone who was hired last year. Maybe 2016, but no way anyone from 2017. Want to know why? The PML list closed on Dec 1st 2016 and didn't reopen until something like May of this year. There is no option for a jazz pilot to apply OTS. Secondly, there have been next to no interviews offered for anyone signed up on this new portal and virtually all that have interviewed have been here over two years.

So basically what you are saying is you know someone who was at the company for less than a year, apply in May as an FO with less than the asked for 2 years at Express AND not in the left seat, get hired on one of first classes after the portal opened and is already on line in the 37.

Feel free to post or PM their last name I'll happy look up the older seniority lists and be proven wrong. Actually I hope to be proven wrong.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lots of Jazz on this month's course...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

altiplano wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:38 pm Lots of Jazz on this month's course...
Yeah, I've heard that this fall they are ramping up the Express hiring. Not just Jazz but everyone.

About time. Not only since *maybe* I'll get a call, but more so I'd really like to move off reserve. :D

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Heard from another AC guy that the Express carriers have instituted a 2 year minimum wait before going to AC to stem the exodus and staffing problems. Not official though.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”