WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WestJet pilots to fly Swoop aircraft

Post by x-wind »

disregard
---------- ADS -----------

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

YVR Lurker, I may be out of you and your ALPA fanboi’s hair. I won’t know until a few days from now if I pass the medical, but if I do, I’ll do everything I can to get hired. I don’t think what the new contract holds even matters. The take home pay here is astronomical for a 737 pilot.

I met 6 expats this morning and everyone is pretty motivated to be here. It looks like an amazing opportunity and I’ll likely dive right into the culture of Xiamen.

Wish me luck!

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:27 pm YVR Lurker, I may be out of you and your ALPA fanboi’s hair. I won’t know until a few days from now if I pass the medical, but if I do, I’ll do everything I can to get hired. I don’t think what the new contract holds even matters. The take home pay here is astronomical for a 737 pilot.

I met 6 expats this morning and everyone is pretty motivated to be here. It looks like an amazing opportunity and I’ll likely dive right into the culture of Xiamen.

Wish me luck!
Good luck john, wishing you all the best. Who knows I've been tossing around the idea myself. kids are still to young but it's worth watching and waiting. Do they have a commuter 737 contract?
Take care

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

The introduction of the new flight and duty rules, is going to dramatically reduce the amount of overtime anyone could fly making reserve inevitable. Remember someone has to pick up the flying you drop, and if they can't because of the new limitations, it means your stuck flying your original schedule.

The force will be with you, always
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Rouge seems to do quite well without any reserve. Pilots have the option to make some extra money and company pays less in benefits. Maybe that's a good system?

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

lostaviator wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 am Of course it doesn’t make sense. Weedpro just tosses random “in the know” stories out there hoping to stir the pot. Remember the one last week about this weeks email including information on the end of the one list?
Hahaha! Ya caught me out! What ever would I do without your sleuthing?

The fact is, I was trying to tease out some info. Not successful. Oh well, I'll just join the peanut gallery and wait until May 2019 to find out what the new contract looks like.

Cheerio

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

KAG,

they do have contracts that would enable commuting. Some guys I've met (not online, just in ground school) are planning 14-18 hour one way commutes every three weeks or so to get home to locations in Europe. Me, I'm awake the last two nights from midnight studying, showering, making noodles, all because of the time zone difference (12 hours from Ontario where I was in the days leading up to getting here). So maybe a fella might feel quite bagged for a few days off at home after the commute back.

If offered the job, I would look at the 44 on and 16 off myself. It offers the right mix of pay and commutability to BC to hang out with my folks. I would have to give up my leisure activities of jumping off or out of things, as there is not going to be much medical coverage I can get that won't exclude those things. Xiamen doesn't pay you if you're unable to work. One dude is sitting at home for three months unpaid due to an operation. So there is risk.

On the plus side, this city is clean, tropical, pretty cheap to live in, and the job offers amazing pay. The company also treats you very well from what I hear. The stories from "Upside down flying" seem to be mostly from an era that is going away. But I'm only going on third hand knowledge.

I think my blood pressure was too high during the treadmill test yesterday, and I apparently briefly fell asleep (accordign to the computer) during the "eyes closed, bombard you with stroposcopic lights," EEG test. I was tired, but thought I was comparing the designs on my eyelids from the lights to an LSD experience. Whatever, today is the practice ATPL exam and tomorrow the real thing.

It would not surprise me to see 20 former WJers flying for Xiamen in three years.

Okay, I'm off.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Bye Felicia

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Hangry wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:34 pmBye Felicia
Lmao . Yes . Yessir. Exactly .

“ slow clap as he walks away •

Just callin it like it is.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Sounds like fun, good luck.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Just don't get sick....

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Yup, it’s risky. And that will factor into my final decision. Obviously the younger a person is the better the overall health profile.

But damn the city is nice. I’ve posted some photos on my FB page that are publicly available showing the beach area I visited yesterday with my fellow WJ applicant.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. I’m ready for an adventure.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 pm Yup, it’s risky. And that will factor into my final decision. Obviously the younger a person is the better the overall health profile.

But damn the city is nice. I’ve posted some photos on my FB page that are publicly available showing the beach area I visited yesterday with my fellow WJ applicant.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. I’m ready for an adventure.

Good luck! The island city looks nice on google earth, very neat. Hopefully this opens the door for more.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

As bad as they need pilots they aren't afraid to be picky. Had a co-worker go over to Xiamen recently and in his group of 10 only 4 passed the sim eval and of the 4 only 2 passed the medical.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

"If offered the job, I would look at the 44 on and 16 off myself"

That schedule sounds wonderful.......
Things must be pretty bad at WJA if guys are leaving for that

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

I should clarify, you’re not working 44 days straight lol.

From what I understand from numerous pilots here, it’s a 4 on 2 off schedule while in country. There’s no red eyes, and no one is claiming fatigue here.

I got through the written exam yesterday. It was hard, but doable with enough time and the right study tools.

And what FICU said is true, the company is not desperate. They only take who they want to take.

I’d be perfectly happy to stay at WJ under the current agreement, but unless the new agreement has seniority scheduling in it, the $100,000 per year pay cut is not worth staying for.

Cheers

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:28 pm There’s no red eyes, and no one is claiming fatigue here.
Claim fatigue when you get on the line. See what happens. :lol:

Byeeeeeeeeee

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Well, the people trying to get on here know more about the working conditions they’ll have than the pilots bidding for a Swoop positions.

The fact the bid in YHM for Swoop CA positions went so junior leads me to believe that not everyone is as confident as the ALPA fanboi club that the arbitrator is going to be charitable to ALPA in his decisions. Which is unfortunate as that’s the only place (Swoop) for NG upgrades for the foreseeable future.

Boy that strike vote stuff sure comes in handy doesn’t it?

Bye byeeeeeeeee

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

You’re all stuck with me for as long as WJ will keep me around. I failed the CAAC medical.

I had laser eye surgery 4 years ago and although I more than meet the standard now, the strength of the correction in one eye prior to the surgery exceeded the Chinese standard.

See y’all out there on the line!

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

WeedPro2000 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:16 pm You’re all stuck with me for as long as WJ will keep me around. I failed the CAAC medical.

I had laser eye surgery 4 years ago and although I more than meet the standard now, the strength of the correction in one eye prior to the surgery exceeded the Chinese standard.

See y’all out there on the line!
Should have had PRK. No flap, no evidence!

You’d think they would have told you that earlier in the process.

As much as we bicker on here, I’m sorry to hear this (you seemed excited).

Return to “WestJet”