Pilots in the YVR Area: We Are Hiring!

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Julie- PorterPRA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pilots in the YVR Area: We Are Hiring!

Post by Julie- PorterPRA »

Porter Airlines is looking for Q400 First Officers to join our team!

We will be conducting interviews November 10, 11, and 12, 2018 at BCIT, Vancouver, BC.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Ensures the safe operation of the aircraft
Actively participates in Porter’s Safety Management System (SMS) including, reporting hazards and incidents encountered in daily operations; understand, comply and promote the Company Safety Policy
Any other duties as assigned

QUALIFICATIONS:
Airline Transport Pilot License (Transport Canada) or Integrated Airline Transport Pilot License or Initial Aeroplane Type Rating (IATRA)
Category I Medical
Current Instrument Rating
Minimum 1,000 hours total time
Aviation College or University Degree is an asset
Pilots that do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered based on experience and other factors

Opportunities are available based on operational needs at the following locations:
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport - YTZ
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport - YOW
Halifax Stanfield International Airport - YHZ

Any questions please contact pilotrecruitment@flyporter.com

Applications accepted through http://www.flyporter.com/pilots
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pilots in the YVR Area: We Are Hiring!

Post by 7ECA »

Interviews on Remembrance Day?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's not a federal holiday, and they don't recognise it in Ontario like in BC...

I always found that strange.

Currently, Remembrance Day is a holiday in all provinces and territories except for Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

I thought they were expanding out west for a second.

Also interviews on Remembrance day is pretty tacky.

LCflyguy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LCflyguy »

Pick another day Porter

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's not a federal holiday - remember we work under federal employment rules in this business. Besides, life goes on in most of the country... kids go to school, banks are open, airlines fly.

Do you want to survive BC air taxi or not? Get out of that clapped out Navajo or Metro, pin on a poppy, and go get a Q400 job... they aren't out there interviewing because they are flush with applicants coming to them.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

altiplano wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:54 am It's not a federal holiday - remember we work under federal employment rules in this business. Besides, life goes on in most of the country... kids go to school, banks are open, airlines fly.

Do you want to survive BC air taxi or not? Get out of that clapped out Navajo or Metro, pin on a poppy, and go get a Q400 job... they aren't out there interviewing because they are flush with applicants coming to them.
Always the wise words of altiplano... You should be Minister of Transport!

Das ist mir wurst...
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

This thread wonderfully sums up the current pilot group: “F#ck you, I’ll interview when I say I’ll interview.”

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 am This thread wonderfully sums up the current pilot group: “F#ck you, I’ll interview when I say I’ll interview.”
Right, because as a pilot you always have the option and right to choose not to work on federal/provincial holidays. As a matter of fact, you are also always home for your birthday and family events. It's one of the big advantages of being a pilot.

I take it you refuse to work on november 11th then? Or working on november 11th is ok, but a quick interview in your own free time isn't?

Porter might have issues you could complain about, but this whole discussion is just silly.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Julie- PorterPRA
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Julie- PorterPRA »

Hi Everyone,

We are going to be in the YVR area attending other events and thought it would be worthwhile meeting with pilots in YVR who have applied rather than having them fly to YTZ (at their expense.)

Our intent is to fill interviews on the Saturday and Monday morning FIRST and if we need to schedule interviews on Sunday we will. We don't want to miss out on great candidates and having three days open provides more flexibility to interviewing pilots.

Hope that helps to explain any concerns!

Julie

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Just please don’t conduct interviews during the time

11:11

That would be super tacky and disrespectful. Air Canada had “poppyGate” and I would suggest avoiding their lead.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Julie- PorterPRA wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:46 am Hi Everyone,

We are going to be in the YVR area attending other events and thought it would be worthwhile meeting with pilots in YVR who have applied rather than having them fly to YTZ (at their expense.)

Our intent is to fill interviews on the Saturday and Monday morning FIRST and if we need to schedule interviews on Sunday we will. We don't want to miss out on great candidates and having three days open provides more flexibility to interviewing pilots.

Hope that helps to explain any concerns!

Julie
Dear Julie,

Although I don’t have an ap or a dog in this race. I find the fact that you proclaim that your saving potential candidates money while candidly admiting that an interview which might very well benefit your company at the potential candidate’s own cost is... frankly insulting.

Encore has the nerve to ask a candidate “do you have friends or family to stay with in Cowtown” -No
“Okay no worries here are your hotel arrangements and confirmed flight details”.

A sad state of affairs. I know of a few 703 bush ops that paid my airfare to interview with them in person. You are a 705 and this isn’t 2004 anymore.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think that's out of line.

They're coming to do the interviews for fucks sake.

People travel all the time on their own dime to get a job.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

altiplano wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:53 am
People travel all the time on their own dime to get a job.
Do you think that’s right? Or fair?

We aren’t talking about 250 hour wonders doing a road trip in the family handed down Dodge Caravan at this level...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I did it twice. Flight, hotel, car rental... It benefited my career enormously both times. They were jobs I wanted so clearly it was fair...

"At this level" - What level are we at? 750 hour wonder? 1500? 2500? A little more?

How many hours do you need to be entitled to get flown to a city to interview for a job you want in that city?

Should every Q400 operator fly and lodge you from wherever when you apply for a job with them? How about Dash 8 classics? ATRs? All 705?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

altiplano wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 am I did it twice. Flight, hotel, car rental... It benefited my career enormously both times. They were jobs I wanted so clearly it was fair...

"At this level" - What level are we at? 750 hour wonder? 1500? 2500? A little more?

How many hours do you need to be entitled to get flown to a city to interview for a job you want in that city?

Should every Q400 operator fly and lodge you from wherever when you apply for a job with them? How about Dash 8 classics? ATRs? All 705?
I’m not replying again to get into a pissing match nor do I believe you wish to have one either!

I too packed up the VW and drove across the country once upon a time. Mind you I didn’t have an interview set up and it was purely a drive-by CV bombing trip! (Don’t think many have to resort to that in today’s market climate!)

I will however say that back in the early 2000’s I was flown on the company’s dime for two separate operators to formally interview with them. Small airlines operating C208’s....

One would think that in today’s market that anyone operating a Q400, Baby dash or heaven forbid a C208 would at the very least do the same...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Sounds good. Just a discussion.

I think it's great if operators fly you, sure...

It comes down to though: If they aren't forking out for the travel, how much do you want the job and is it worth the effort/expense to go get it... if not, you can keep applying only at those that will fly you one day, or only apply to the operators in your home town.

In this case Porter is coming to those in YVR, lucky for those applicants they can save the trip...

airliner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by airliner »

I do find it very amusing since I have never had a company pay for transportation unless it is on the airline you are applying too.

I can't think of any that are paying for hotels unless you are hired and are being put up for training with some exceptions.

When I applied at AC I had to make my own way there and pay for accommodation.

When friends where hired at West jet they had to come up with their own accommodation for training.

This argument show the arrogance of today's work force.
Try to understand if you don't want the job don't apply.

The companies that you are upset at will be better off without your resume.

flyhigh008
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyhigh008 »

Julie- PorterPRA wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 am Porter Airlines is looking for Q400 First Officers to join our team!

We will be conducting interviews November 10, 11, and 12, 2018 at BCIT, Vancouver, BC.
Can you clarify if this will be at BCIT Richmond campus or Burnaby? or is there another one in Vancouver?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

airliner wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:56 am
When friends where hired at West jet they had to come up with their own accommodation for training.

This argument show the arrogance of today's work force.
Try to understand if you don't want the job don't apply.

The companies that you are upset at will be better off without your resume.
1) That’s dated info.

2) Is it arrogant on a candidates behalf to expect to be flown on their potential new employers route network and put up for the night on the company’s dime? I personally don’t think so but if you think that expending your own money to facilitate an airline of this so called caliber precludes you of being “arrogant”.... well... I nave no kind words to express to my disdain towards fellow brethren such as yourself. That is those whom proclaim lowering the bar like we all did in the 90’s and early 2000’s because we had to at the time due to the industry dynamics. Why should we wish the same BS on our next generation of brothers and sisters? Tit for tat?

You honestly proud of that stance of yours old boy?

Return to “Porter Airlines”