Plane Rental in US in a US plane with a US Instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Plane Rental in US in a US plane with a US Instructor

Post by geneticistx »

Hi
I’m going travelling into the US this week for work and am renting a172 with an instructor. I have my PPL, can I count the time in the aircraft as part of my dual training for my CPL? My inclination is “no” for the fact of the non canadian aircraft and non canadian instructor. But I can still count it as PIC hours, right?

Thx
---------- ADS -----------

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Plane Rental in US in a US plane with a US Instructor

Post by Choppermech1986 »

I am of the impression that ICAO time is ICAO time, as long as it's logged correctly and clearly. I believe asking this question of your senior instructor would be the best course of action.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The nationality of the aircraft registration and location of the training is immaterial; TC allows instruction from appropriately rated foreign instructors to count towards licences and ratings. But, it still has to be instruction; there's no requirement for any number of hours of dual sightseeing time for a CPL.

And no - you can't count it as PIC time unless you're the PIC, which you could only be if you had a US Airman certificate (do you?), had a current an FAA biennial flight review, and met the requirements of whomever was renting you the aircraft. In the US more than one pilot can log PIC time, but TC will not allow this"double" FAA rules PIC time to count as Canadian PIC time.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

photofly wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:09 am TC allows instruction from appropriately rated foreign instructors to count towards licences and ratings. But, it still has to be instruction; there's no requirement for any number of hours of dual sightseeing time for a CPL.
That's what I was told by TC too. I have 1.5 hours of flight in a US registered aircraft flying in the US. Can't claim it as instruction because it was more of a scenic flight. Can't call it PIC either because the instructor legally claimed it. Could have been argued that it was an introductory flight but 1.5 hours in my log book was not going to make or break me.
Enjoy exercising the privileges of your PPL and don't forget to look out the window.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I've gone for flights in the U.S. logged them as dual and enjoyed the experience. Most recently a mountain flying trip in northern California in the left seat of N1483L. Nice plane.

...laura

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

I do have an FAA license as well. I'll see what happens when I'm there and if i can be PIC.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm not trying to be mean but I might come off that way.

You can log it anyway you like. Transport might disagree.

I would log it PIC if you have the FAA cert. Enjoy the flights and just fly the extra hours if they require it toward CPL.

Nice job if you are flight testing under the required hours. I have wasted a few hours of dual by not flying often enough to keep current after.

Return to “Flight Training”