New Booklet. Incorrect Medical.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Alkaline
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Booklet. Incorrect Medical.

Post by Alkaline »

Hello everyone.
I have a bit of an unusual situation on my hands and I am not sure what to do.

I just got my new aviation booklet, replacing my now expired old one. In the new book my medical is not the correct one, displaying my previous and lapsed medical from 2017. My old booklet, which is now expired has my correct and current medical.

Still waiting to get in contact with TC and I'll assume a new sticker will be sent. However this can take a rather long time so my question is. Am I still legally allowed to operate with my CPL in the meantime?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New Booklet. Incorrect Medical.

Post by photofly »

I think you are. But you won't get a new sticker.

It's common for a new booklet to be issued before a medical update has been processed. TC issued an instruction somewhere that a currently valid medical stamp in an old booklet validates the licence in a new booklet. But you have to carry both booklets until your next medical, which will be stamped in the new booklet.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Yes, you continue to fly. Just carry both your new and old booklet (with the renewal stamp). Sometimes the paperwork for the renewed medical doesn't get through the system until after they print the booklet, so it's not clear to TC whether the stamp is in your new or old booklet. However, in this case it's been the better part of a year - sounds like some paperwork got lost within TC or between TC and your Doc. Send TC a message and get them to send you the current medical sticker. TC is usually pretty responsive to e-mails.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Happened to me! I just carried my old booklet with my current medical in it alongside my current booklet until I went for my next medical. I did a flight test and got a new job in the meantime and none of the examiners or employers got bent out of shape about it.

Alkaline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkaline »

Thank you all for the quick replies. I really appreciate it.
Cheers!

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

So what is the purpose of “paying” TC the fee for processing a medical? What benefit is this to anyone? If the doctor stamps your book, you are valid, and you carry it till you get a new stamp in your new booklet at your next medical renewal. TC processing your medical does exactly what for the pilot?

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

Same thing happened to me too!

Just to add my $0.02 worth of paranoia - I not only carried both licenses around until I got a new stamp in the new one, but intend on keeping my old license on file until I get another new booklet in however many years. Yes, it's unbelievably paranoid, but I have no intention of giving anyone a cause to look at my booklet in 2 years time and say "Hey, you must have been flying without a medical here because there's so much time before the first stamp..."
I have learned the hard way that when it comes to government bureaucracy, there is no such thing as too much supporting paperwork!

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

TC will issue you a new medical sticker reflecting your latest medical if you ask.
This will eliminate the requirement to carry 2 booklets.

The booklet also has an expiration date. Pilots should make sure that their booklet is still valid. Also page 2 must be signed or the booklet is not valid

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Happened to me as well. Called TC who told me to either carry the old book until the next medical or get a new stamp from the CAME - which I did.

Now, I knew about the new sticker thing as well, which I asked the TC employee about and was informed that under no circumstances would they issue a sticker for this situation... And then a few weeks after this conversation and a new stamp was in the book, I received a sticker in the mail. :smt043

Return to “General Comments”