First Conviction for Unsafe Drone Operation in Canada!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

First Conviction for Unsafe Drone Operation in Canada!

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Sounds like the judge would have liked to done more to this winner...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/dr ... -1.4879016
---------- ADS -----------

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First Conviction for Unsafe Drone Operation in Canada!

Post by laminar »

Perfect, and it paves the way for court precedence to allow for smoother convictions for the next idiots.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

I would think with the possession of a stolen handgun charge, the drone conviction would be the least of his worries

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

NovaBoy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:14 pm I would think with the possession of a stolen handgun charge, the drone conviction would be the least of his worries
+1 seriously... the record on that guy far exceeds a few drone violations.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

200hr Wonder wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 am Sounds like the judge would have liked to done more to this winner...

"Possession of a firearm knowing possession unauthorized – knowingly possessing a firearm that is unauthorized will be seen as intention to commit a crime or engage in other illegal activity. This crime comes with a minimum penalty of one year for the 2nd offence and a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison."

Not sure why he got five days in prison.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Article is misleading. It doesn't say what the punishment was for each conviction.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

I saw some moron testing out his drone on the roof parking lot of Richmond Center the other day. I went up to him and tried to politely inform him that it's against the law but I got told to "@#$! off."

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 pm I saw some moron testing out his drone on the roof parking lot of Richmond Center the other day. I went up to him and tried to politely inform him that it's against the law but I got told to "@#$! off."
Call the RCMP!

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
jg24
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jg24 »

200hr Wonder wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 pm I saw some moron testing out his drone on the roof parking lot of Richmond Center the other day. I went up to him and tried to politely inform him that it's against the law but I got told to "@#$! off."
Call the RCMP!
Yup, call the cops IMMEDIATELY. Then, give the cops the CARs reference and your good deed is done for the day.
200hr Wonder wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 am Sounds like the judge would have liked to done more to this winner...

Definitely a win.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Having just got into flying drones as a hobby unless the guy is flying a real cheap one he will know he is in violation. All drones with gps warn you when in restricted air space and you must override the warning before you launch. The phantom 4 is a high end drone so he was well aware.

Its a great hobby and a lot of fun but like most things it gets screwed up because of idiots.

There is a lot of ignorance on both sides. Drone operator breaking the rules and the general public not knowing the rules and over reacting.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

200hr Wonder wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:47 pm
Call the RCMP!
See I googled what you do and there's really no information online. They need to make it easy to see on the TC site that they want you to call the cops. I'll do this next time thanks.

Return to “General Comments”