Jazz Pilot Pool

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Jazz Pilot Pool

Post by KenoraPilot »

Old fella wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am Jazz is completing the life extension program on the Dash 8-300 fleet as we speak. I would expect to see the DH8 in Jazz colours until at least 2025 if not beyond hopefully.
Well ”eff” that, in order to get my propeller fix I am gonna book all my travel with Encore not on those leaky/creaky elderly bug- smashers.
:wink: :wink:
Hey now be gentle with the old steady girl, 70,000+ landings by horrible pilots like myself and they're still kicking and working well! Tried and true Canadian engineering! I do love DH8, it was a rough start and she didn't like me and I her, but we found some common ground.

P.S. she leaks to let you know her heart is still pumping.....when it stops leaking....then you gotta watch out! Also well see if the Q400 is as tough when she's 70,000+ landing in!
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 pm
Old fella wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am Jazz is completing the life extension program on the Dash 8-300 fleet as we speak. I would expect to see the DH8 in Jazz colours until at least 2025 if not beyond hopefully.
Well ”eff” that, in order to get my propeller fix I am gonna book all my travel with Encore not on those leaky/creaky elderly bug- smashers.
:wink: :wink:
Hey now be gentle with the old steady girl, 70,000+ landings by horrible pilots like myself and they're still kicking and working well! Tried and true Canadian engineering! I do love DH8, it was a rough start and she didn't like me and I her, but we found some common ground.

P.S. she leaks to let you know her heart is still pumping.....when it stops leaking....then you gotta watch out! Also well see if the Q400 is as tough when she's 70,000+ landing in!
Awww.... how sweet, you convinced me to stand in the lineup at the Jazz counter to hear the proud heartbeat of the ole ‘300 smasher. Glad to hear you and the old girl found common ground, speaks highly of your deep respect of things old, like dealing with a Mother-in- law: kid gloves required. Brings back memories of the 70’s era BE 90/100/200 that I blasted around in , not to mention some of my horrible treatment of those old birds. Those were the days.

Happy flying with her and be gentle heading into YYT when the “ gales of November come slashing “ never know hip replacements on the old girl isn’t easy. Have a sip at Christians on George Street, fine spot.

:drinkers:

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

KenoraPilot :) You're so kind toward the Dash Trash. Good on you for having a positive outlook on it. ;) I did not like Dash 8 and I'm glad I'm not on it anymore. It may have been a technological "marvel" at one point in the 1600s, sorry I mean the 80s, but it has long outlived its welcome (in my opinion).

To this day, I'm surprised to see it in AC colors. In the age of the 787s, A220s, A350s and glass cockpit modern turboprop (ATR42/72-600 and Q400) it's amazing that our national carrier considers this aircraft "worthy" of the product they are trying to offer. I remember having a guy one time driven by a BMW limo at YYZ from an international flight and transferring to a Dash 8-100 going to I think... Windsor? or London? I can't remember. It was when we used to park at the far gates and then bused to the main terminal. Regardless, the look on his face was priceless. He mentioned to the F/A. "Well this is a bit different than the pod I had coming here from Frankfurt". He was a Super Elite, or whatever "VIP" term these high paying customers have. I was a little embarrassed I'm not going to lie. Even I thought this man deserved better, not some worn out Dash 8-100 with bins that barely close and a lav that smells worse than my uncle Helmut's outhouse in Oberstaufen.

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

HansDietrich wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 am KenoraPilot :) You're so kind toward the Dash Trash. Good on you for having a positive outlook on it. ;) I did not like Dash 8 and I'm glad I'm not on it anymore. It may have been a technological "marvel" at one point in the 1600s, sorry I mean the 80s, but it has long outlived its welcome (in my opinion).

To this day, I'm surprised to see it in AC colors. In the age of the 787s, A220s, A350s and glass cockpit modern turboprop (ATR42/72-600 and Q400) it's amazing that our national carrier considers this aircraft "worthy" of the product they are trying to offer. I remember having a guy one time driven by a BMW limo at YYZ from an international flight and transferring to a Dash 8-100 going to I think... Windsor? or London? I can't remember. It was when we used to park at the far gates and then bused to the main terminal. Regardless, the look on his face was priceless. He mentioned to the F/A. "Well this is a bit different than the pod I had coming here from Frankfurt". He was a Super Elite, or whatever "VIP" term these high paying customers have. I was a little embarrassed I'm not going to lie. Even I thought this man deserved better, not some worn out Dash 8-100 with bins that barely close and a lav that smells worse than my uncle Helmut's outhouse in Oberstaufen.
Hans life is all about outlook, which is why I keep a positive one. That way I remain happy every day at work, home and in life in general. Lifes happiness is 90% perspective IMO.

So I agree the DH8 is a little old especially the interior which should have received a much better upgrade in the "life extension program". However, in your opinion......what would you replace the DH8 with? Especially on short and low pax routes like Windsor, Sarnia, London, North Bay, Timmons, GP, Smithers, Terrace, Sandspit? CRJ900? Q400? Does that make financial sense, flying a Q400 or CRJ900 around with 10-40 pax?
What is your solution?

P.S. What are you flying now? I am happy for you that you've upgrade your life as well as your aircraft. You deserve to be happy and honestly if you're not happy flying the DH8 I don't want you flying beside me bringing me down every day. Just my opinion. I love that most guys who are on the DH8 actually enjoy it and make the pairings go easier when every one is enjoying themselves.

Cheers & glad to see you've found happiness!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Kenora. All tongue in cheek(from me) commentary and speaking as a well seasoned traveller mostly on the East side, I would much, much rather be in a DHC8-100/200/200 Q4 than a BE1900 by a long shot. I speak strictly from a pax comfort prospective as those 1900s are terrible. One miserable memorable trip years back YDF-YYT sealed it for me, very rough,cabin freezing, couldn’t take a piss, full load, white knuckle pax I observed, couple of small kids crying one tossed up her cookies. Followed by a half hour hold at YYT, memorable landing - that I understand going in there that evening. Seriously some people were really scared. I don’t know why Air Canada has itself attached to those things even a 100 series Dash is superior. But whatever...........

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Old fella wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:14 pm Kenora. All tongue in cheek(from me) commentary aside and speaking as a well seasoned traveller mostly on the East side, I would much, much rather be in a DHC8-100/200/200 Q4 than a BE1900 by a long shot. I speak strictly from a pax comfort prospective as those 1900s are terrible. One miserable memorable trip years back YDF-YYT sealed it for me, very rough,cabin freezing, couldn’t take a piss, full load, white knuckle pax I observed, couple of small kids crying one tossed up her cookies. Followed by a half hour hold at YYT, memorable landing - that I understand going in there that evening. Seriously some people were really scared. I don’t know why Air Canada has itself attached to those things even a 100 series Dash is superior. But whatever...........

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Old fella wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:14 pm Kenora. All tongue in cheek(from me) commentary and speaking as a well seasoned traveller mostly on the East side, I would much, much rather be in a DHC8-100/200/200 Q4 than a BE1900 by a long shot. I speak strictly from a pax comfort prospective as those 1900s are terrible. One miserable memorable trip years back YDF-YYT sealed it for me, very rough,cabin freezing, couldn’t take a piss, full load, white knuckle pax I observed, couple of small kids crying one tossed up her cookies. Followed by a half hour hold at YYT, memorable landing - that I understand going in there that evening. Seriously some people were really scared. I don’t know why Air Canada has itself attached to those things even a 100 series Dash is superior. But whatever...........
Well Old Fella, you'll be happy to hear AC has pulled GGN from the 1900's in YYZ as of Nov 1st. Only a matter of time until the 1900's are gone in YYC and hopefully out in the "far" east. So I surely hope thats the first step towards the DH8-1/3 being the smallest in the fleet. I know it doesn't often land the greatest depending on day, but its rock solid and has a pisser! :wink:

VeeDriver94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VeeDriver94 »

Hi folks! Just going on through background checks now, I am just here to drop a big thanks to all, this thread is useful!! Safe flights to all!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

The classic out west is the hidden gem of the fleet. Great crews. Short and easy turns. Decent overnights. It also seems to have better reliability than its modern variant and the corporate jet turned commuter airliner. Its all about perspective. Sure if you were stuck in a 100 that was about to be turned into pop cans in YYZ on a tight gate mid winter needing a de-ice heading to YTS for your third min rest layover, you'd probably hate it..

I like it. I plan to stay on it. I'll be sad when I'm forced to fly a bombardier and not an actual dehavilland. I also stuck around at JAZZ to avoid YYZ completely. Sorry AC, the risk isn't worth the pay cut.

Good luck to all those who have applied. May I soon see you on the line!

skyrp0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skyrp0 »

Just got the pool email! Anyone heard of the next ground schools? January? or later?

Thanks a lot!

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

I know calls have been going for the January one. Maybe the pool is for February? Crazy how jazz is taking their precautions this year...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Not crazy. Smart.

We have too many pilots as is.

Goneflying1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goneflying1 »

Hello fellow aviators, what is the current waiting time after references check for a pool email or an offer? Been 3 weeks since the medical and 2 weeks since they contacted my references. And no news as of today.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Goneflying1 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 am Hello fellow aviators, what is the current waiting time after references check for a pool email or an offer? Been 3 weeks since the medical and 2 weeks since they contacted my references. And no news as of today.
No news is typically good news

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

My suggestion to all of you antsy for a call.

Go about your life as you have been for however long. There is literally nothing you can personally do now to increase your chances of being hired or given a GS date. I went through the same thing and it was hard, I know. Keep doing what you're doing. The call will either come, or it won't. And if it doesn't you don't want to be sitting around spinning your wheels wondering what to do now.

Currently Jazz is still extremely overstaffed, going into the slowest season of the year. Unless AC ramps up hiring from Jazz significantly, there will be stagnation until at least late winter/early spring.

Goneflying1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goneflying1 »

anybody that went thru the process recently can PM me as well. thanks!

VeeDriver94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VeeDriver94 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:27 pm Please do! Good luck :)

I've received my hiring pool email today. I am eager to begin at Jazz! Next year probably :)

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

VeeDriver94 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am

I've received my hiring pool email today. I am eager to begin at Jazz! Next year probably :)
Congrats!! Now it's just a matter of getting that GS date :)

Sucks to wait but know it's coming!!

VeeDriver94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VeeDriver94 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 pm
VeeDriver94 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:58 am

Congrats!! Now it's just a matter of getting that GS date :)

Sucks to wait but know it's coming!!

Oh yes hehe!!! Thanks for all your infos, that helped me during the process :)!

skyrp0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skyrp0 »

Any news guys?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”