Apple or Android for Tablet Navigation?

Discuss aviation related software and devices here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Apple or Android for Tablet Navigation?

Post by knackebrod »

Looking into buying a tablet (8 inch) for VFR navigation.
Now the choice is Apple or Android?
Personally I feel more for Android. All my devices are Android/Windows. Also cost wise Android seems the better option.
But is it?

If you say Apple you say Foreflight. I hear a lot of good things about Foreflight but what about the alternatives?
FlyQ, Avare, Garmin Pilot... Anybody tried them out and can share their experience/opinion?

What is the best bang for your buck and user friendly? Do you get CFS updates etc. with it?

Any other thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Apple or Android for Tablet Navigation?

Post by AirFrame »

By far the best bang for the buck on Android (and iOS, for that matter) is FltPlan Go. It's 100% free, and has all of the Canadian and US charts, CFS, AFD, etc.

It isn't as user-friendly as Foreflight, but 95% of the features are there and usable with a small amount of practise.

Previous to FltPlan Go, I used AirNav Pro on iOS, then on Android, and have tried FlyQ and Avare. Once I tried FltPlan Go I stopped looking for an alternate.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Also an android user. Also do not want to pay huge money for iOS Foreflight/ logten etc. However I will say depends on why you want it. Are you a student pilot? An owner? If so what do you own and are you vfr only or IFR. If you own, fly a mix of vfr and IFR and want the best bang for your buck I gotta go with Foreflight. It IS that much more polished and user friendly. Now if you are none of the above... Fltplan go will do everything you will need for your time building x countries etc. And you already know/ like android. No brainer

Bravomike33
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bravomike33 »

Hi,

Just take a Apple with cellular. Even used is it good.

I'm still using my Ipad MIni 2 retina with GPS inside.

Foreflight, Garmin, AirNavpro, Jeppesen.Xavion...Never got an issue since 2013. I just havent done the update and works like the first day.
Everyone use an Ipad, just do the same. If you take android, it is probably a really nice and modern tablet and even better performance, but you will regret it.
AG use Airplay on TV, my Flightschools too and Thales/Dassault too.

Just think about standard..I flew in Europ and Canada. I've been Avionics Technician, Student pilot, Flight instructor, and I've seen everyone using Apple. Why should a be different.. Sometime the best is to do like everyone do.

IPad mini retina 2/3/4 with cellular, used ( kijiji) + tempered glass + reliable case ( griffin ) and you have the best tablet in the world

I flew both VFR/IFR and Foreflight was really nice. Yes expensive, but saving time, saving money (map, Cfs, cap gen, AP...), and the approach plates on the map are really good.
Cheers

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Bravomike33 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 pm
I flew both VFR/IFR and Foreflight was really nice. Yes expensive, but saving time, saving money (map, Cfs, cap gen, AP...), and the approach plates on the map are really good.
Cheers
FltPlan Go has had all of those for quite a few years now, and they're completely free.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Bravomike33 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 pmSometime the best is to do like everyone do.
Sometimes it's best to not be a sheep, too.
IPad mini retina... you have the best tablet in the world
Highly debatable. Easy to spot the Apple/FF fanbois though.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

I have an iPad mini something or other with FltPlan Go on it and a Dual bluetooth GPS. A couple reasons for the iPad over Android:

-Seemed to pair to the GPS easier. I experimented with my Android phone first and to get everything synced I had to run a GPS spoofing app in parallel to mix in the external signal. The iPad does that all seamlessly.
-Cockpit accessories are all iPad oriented. Get an iPad and you're guaranteed to find kneeboards, yoke mounts, panel docks, and any other type of accessory to fit. Android tablets don't have the same support.

The external GPS vs cellular thing is a personal preference. I don't know how accurate the iPad's internal GPS is but the Dual has such high resolution that I can tell where I tightened a turn while taxiing. It's also potentially money saving - the cellular iPad is ~$100 more which is about what you'll pay for an entry-level GPS widget. If you want the fancy capabilities like ADS-B, weather and a virtual panel you'll need an external gizmo regardless, so might as well save the $100 on the tablet.

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

I just saw that the ipad mini 5 may be coming out next week (Oct 30th). I will be selling my ipad mini4 and probably grabbing an ipad mini 5. It's perfect size in cramped GA aircraft. I also use the 10.5 ipad if it's a longer x-country, it's just easier to look at.

knackebrod
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by knackebrod »

Thanks all for the replies! I will look further into all the mentioned options!

AirDoan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirDoan »

Just to throw my hat in the ring. Also a deadfast android user. But at the end of the day the app developers support Apple way better than Android. And IMO, since Garmin bought FltPlan the app has become so much more buggy than it used to be. Could be cause I'm on 9 and they may not have updated it. But the Apple version is way slicker on my iPad that I got for christmas last year. So my personal set up is Android phone, tethered over bluetooth to the iPad for data (uses less battery than wifi, and doesn't shut off when the iPad times out) and a used dual GPS I picked up for $50. Work provides everything I need day to day, but occasionally I take my own set up as it's a little more up to date than the 2nd gen iPad minis.

Return to “Aviation Software & Devices”