YVR phone interview

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: YVR phone interview

Post by Lmck596 »

I’m sure you guys wii do great! I recommend listening to LiveATC.com to let your ears practice lol. It will definitely be useful...even at the fic we will be talking to pilots on the radio. I imagine in the beginning there will be a lot of uhhhh say again? Lol. I didn’t get a tour of the acc either Willis when I interviewed there. I was the only one interviewed there from my class, everyone else interviewed in Kamloops at a hotel here or something. I can’t wait to hear how all you interviews went!

Don’t worry Willis...I had no idea how to feel about the interview after it was over either. It seemed pretty intense being interviewed by 3 people. I just remember thinking I probably made myself sound waaaay more annoying than I actually am. And then for 2 weeks I was scared to check the status of the yellow light. Thankfully they only made me wait the 2 weeks for the green light. After that it was about another month to get the course offer.
---------- ADS -----------

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

the new website is confusing. I don't even see any of my info on it, just that I have an interview - but it doesn't like date or time. Anyone else in the same boat? Lisa any interview prep tips? Would be much appreciated.
Were they friendly at least!? Also - how did you find out what course you were streamed into? Was it the two weeks after getting the green light? My interview is one week away! eek!

VFRDreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VFRDreamer »

Hi group,

So happy to find this forum!

Currently in Calgary (But transferred my application to Vancouver FIR). I passed the final interview back in July in YVR, almost two years after my initial computer test. My choices where VFR, IFR, FSS. Thankfully I qualified for VFR (probably the happiest day of my life!!!). They told me when September was filled for VFR. But the only news I have received is that the next VFR is in July 2019...

Questions
1. For those interviewing right now, have they mentioned when the next VFR training session is?
2. Has anybody gotten the green light on the whole process but then never got an offer?

Oh and side not: I share in the disappointment of the new website for applications. It just says eligible for offer and I miss seeing all the dates.

-VFRDreamer
stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

VFRDreamer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:24 pm Questions
1. For those interviewing right now, have they mentioned when the next VFR training session is?
2. Has anybody gotten the green light on the whole process but then never got an offer?
If they said July, I'd go with that. They are generally honest about start dates, though things are always subject to change and anything can happen between now and then. Given company affairs, it will probably be a small class with the potential for lots of employees cross-training.

They used to post an infographic on the Take Charge site with their numbers but I can't find it anymore. The tl;dr is that there are tens of thousands of applicants in Canada of which a small percentage (single digits) pass the interview and make it into the candidate pool fighting for a relative handful of training seats. You can definitely get a green light and never hear from them again.

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

VFR Dreamer,

welcome! and congrats! My top choice is also VFR :)
I have my interview Monday, I will try to find out and post dates.
I believe user "CallMeWilis" knows some info re: start dates.. perhaps they can share.

VFR in July seems so far away... I thought I'd heard about an April start? I could be wrong though.

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lmck596 »

Can't give away too much info but like any interview make sure you know stuff about the company.....beyond just ifr, vfr, and fss. Other than that it's a lot like the phone interview. You guys will do great!

VFRDreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VFRDreamer »

wanderlust_xx wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:20 pm I thought I'd heard about an April start? I could be wrong though.
Yea at first the lady said March/April but then in September she send me a new email saying not until July. So I am hoping that has changed!!

Good luck with the interview! Prepare a few smart questions to ask them (what would you say is the biggest obstacle for trainees, or about their new satellite technology and what that might mean for future ATC). The technology is very fascinating anyways! HR lady will be Dawn but I forgot the other 2 names.

-VFRDreamer
stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

It sounds like a VFR class started in September so an April start is unlikely. Classes do not run back to back like that.

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

Just finished my interview.. I think it went ?ok haha
basically just like some others on here had described. no surprises.
Apparently I will know by the end of the week or early next week if I passed.

WoS, yours is coming up soon, right?

WoS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WoS »

Hey everyone!

Have been busy doing a few trip back and forth to Hong Kong, haven’t had the chance to check back here.

Interview coming up the day after tomorrow. I’m a nervous wreck!

Wanderlust: sounds like your interview went great! You will know in a week?!?! Wow that’s fast!!! Can’t wait to hear your good news.

Willis: Any updates on your status?

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

yah I think she said end of the week or early next week whether I passed or not.
Not sure when/if stream will be assigned at the same time. I think stream is assigned late?
Lisa, any input on that?

Honestly, they were very nice...

They will ask you to talk about yourself.
what stream you would like and why
5-6 behavioural questions "describe a time when"
and basic knowledge about the company

after they talked about the upcoming courses, general info, and asked if I had any questions for them.
it was pretty straight forward!

good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lmck596 »

I wasn’t too confident with my interview when it was over lol so I’m sure you did better than you think!

I was assigned a stream the same day I got the green light...about 2 weeks after my interview...it asked me to upload a headshot and as soon as I did that my stream of fic showed up. Anothe 2 weeks or so before getting the course offer. That was totally by email. They’ve changed the website since then so I’m not sure if it’s still like that.

Good luck with your interview wos!

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

Morning all-

Just checked the Work Day site and my application has updated to “eligible for offer”
I’m thinking this means I passed the interview?
But it doesn’t indicate which stream I’ve been put in.

WoS, good luck today!! Let us know how it goes.

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lmck596 »

Sounds like u passed! Now back to waiting again lol

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

I guess there’s no area on the new site to indicate what stream you got?!

Lmck596
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lmck596 »

Ya that’s weird...maybe send them an email? Maybe they don’t officially stream ppl they just offer courses?

How did the interview go wos?

WoS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WoS »

Congrats Wanderlust! You must have done very well!!! They couldn’t wait to pass you!!!! 👏🏻 Hope you will get training offer for the stream you picked! Was it VFr??

I don’t think I did that well, I anticipated more questions so I was saving some stuff to talk about in other questions, but suddenly they were done. Lol. But I’m just glad is all done.

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

WoS,

I’m sure you did great!!
I did that exact same thing... had examples to use and then the questions were done! I also had some examples I’d saved to use for certain questions which I used at the wrong times LOL then the question would come where I thought it would have been a good answer... and I had to think up a different example on the spot. Definitely felt awkward in many moments.

Let us know what happens! I don’t know if they show stream anymore?! And yes VFR is my first choice. :)
What about you??

WoS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WoS »

I’m hoping to be streamed for IFR.

Did you get a notification email from Workday to check your account for update when you got your pass?

Keep all of us posted! Hopefully offers will go out soon :)

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

No! I didn’t receive an email... just had to check my account. They said I would get an email :/ lol
I want to know what stream I got!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”