Demand for float drivers 2019?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rank 3
Rank 3

Demand for float drivers 2019?

Post by 7507 »

How will it be for 2019? Any chance for guys or gals with roughly 100 hours on floats getting a good Crack at a float job which includes at least over 500 TT in their log book.

Reading that Northern Ontario has the most opportunities.

Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

rum-runner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Demand for float drivers 2019?

Post by rum-runner »

I am told that you need at least 110 hours on floats and 600 hours in your log book.
Not sure about good crack - but plumber crack will be evident as you work towards your goal of 700 hours.
From what I understand they are only looking for transgender pilots ..guys or gals should not apply.
The opportunities that exist today are only in southern Saskatchewan. :rolleyes:

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

rum-. wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:06 pm I am told that you need at least 110 hours on floats and 600 hours in your log book.
Not sure about good crack - but plumber crack will be evident as you work towards your goal of 700 hours.
From what I understand they are only looking for transgender pilots ..guys or gals should not apply.
The opportunities that exist today are only in southern Saskatchewan. :rolleyes:
I gotta get cracking! I got some work to do!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Float operators in Southern Saskatchewan, :lol:
Must be next door to the commercial home-built aircraft operator and that ETOPS Navajo company.

Made me chuckle.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Only Jan and there are 27 posts for float drivers and 5 for dock hands for the month!. This is unheard of in my memory. Unfortunately salaries dont seem to be matching the demand.
Job requirements require a commercial license as well some othere skills to pay the equivalent of $20/hr (that's for experienced pilots).
Skills include lpg gas fitting and repair, electrical work, plumbing, small engine repair and carpentry.
Most of those jobs pay $60 /hr. In the real world. That would mean the actual flying part of the job is about $5/hr.
I know its a "life style", unfortunately, for those of us who enjoy the "life style", we also have bills to pay when the season's done. Maybe the legit operators should start better compensating lifers. It's a lot cheaper to retain the same pilot every year. they know the plane, lakes, customers, operation, and local weather.
I have enough hours to be able to pick and chose my employer, mainly because I'm at an age where, with the help of a reasonably paid wife, I can live the life style.

Fortunately for new pilots, most employers know you're only in it to move on, so they do their utmost to squeeze every dollar out of you, guaranteeing that you will move on.
IMHO

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

Lost Lake wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 am Only Jan and there are 27 posts for float drivers and 5 for dock hands for the month!. This is unheard of in my memory. Unfortunately salaries dont seem to be matching the demand.
It is unfortunate that many of the jobs continue to pay about the same as in the past, they have just dropped the requirements significantly. It seems as if many operators do not actually value experience, it is just a means to thin the stack of resumes. I suppose that is good for less experienced pilots to get into better paying jobs sooner, but it does nothing as far as increasing the pool of experienced float pilots who are available year to year if there are not enough well paying jobs to retain that experience.
Maybe the legit operators should start better compensating lifers. It's a lot cheaper to retain the same pilot every year. they know the plane, lakes, customers, operation, and local weather.
Very good points that I would hope operators realize, and one that extends across the company personnel to some degree. People that know their job and do it well are awesome. It makes me happy when I hear my good co-workers are coming back too. The other thing to consider, especially for the small operators, is the time saved when they do not need to sift through resumes and try to pick the right person(s) every year.

Bushman1515
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bushman1515 »

The money is absolute bullshit, the only float drivers I hear making half decent cash is the guys that use to work for black sheep up in the Yukon which is now a part of Alkan. The problem for us pilots is there is always a next guy in line that’s willing to do the job for half the price of what your willing to do it for. Float flying is tough work especially at those smaller outfits where you become an integral part of the company and are worked everyday morning till night. I love hard work I love flying long days, but you know what I also love getting paid a respectable amount at the end of the day.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Well I'm not sure if it's related, but the season is only half over and 6 float planes that I know of have crashed. Mainly beavers. Lots of dead people. One pilot had over 20,000 hr.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing most of the pilots may have been low time. How much money does an operator save hiring inexperienced pilots.
It's a scary season out there. Be safe. Don't ever get complacent

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by enbt »

From what I’ve seen, most operators have responded to the shortage of pilots by lowering hour requirements, with the results we are now seeing. Compared to 5-10 years ago, jobs now are abundant and minimums practically non existent.

The other response from operators would be to increase pay for experienced pilots, but this is happening much less often, if at all. Even folks who want to make flying floats a career find it hard because of the low pay, and operators get used to finding new pilots every year, which all just reinforces the idea that a float job is nothing more than a stepping stone on your way to a bigger, faster, shinier airplane on wheels.

In the Labrador crash, while the pilot was high time it still could be related indirectly to the shortage of pilots through fatigue. It’s possible that Air Saguenay either couldn’t find extra pilots, or refused to hire a low timer due to the challenging nature of the work they do. Whatever the reason, if they were short handed it would fall on the remaining pilots to get the work done. I have no idea that this was the case here (could also have been a pilot medical issue?), I’m just pointing out a possible indirect cause from a pilot shortage.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

enbt wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:57 pm From what I’ve seen, most operators have responded to the shortage of pilots by lowering hour requirements, with the results we are now seeing. Compared to 5-10 years ago, jobs now are abundant and minimums practically non existent.

The other response from operators would be to increase pay for experienced pilots, but this is happening much less often, if at all. Even folks who want to make flying floats a career find it hard because of the low pay, and operators get used to finding new pilots every year, which all just reinforces the idea that a float job is nothing more than a stepping stone on your way to a bigger, faster, shinier airplane on wheels.
Could not agree more. Tough to justify the hard labour, challenging or sometimes dangerous flying and shitty schedules of bush flying when even at the top, the money is not that great. It's too bad.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”