Career First Officer at AC by design?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: Career First Officer at AC by design?

Post by Old fella »

tailgunner wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:47 pm Ladies and Gentlemen,
Alcoholism’s post is why, we at AC, have a psych. evaluation.
Seems pretty clear now. He did not apply, because he would not have passed it.
Enjoy your life.
Indeed.....
---------- ADS -----------

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Seems pretty clear now. He did not apply, because he would not have passed it.
Enjoy your life.
Ah. You passed a laughable pysch test, so you must be an elite airman of Canadian aviation. Congratulations, you passed a test to determine your likability of flowers and animals. Which is grade 3 material. What's undoubtedly needed as a AC pilot screen is an IQ test. Perhaps a sim eval. Simple straight in approach, can you land it on the runway and keep it on? Nice try tailgummer, you could've gotten me with the digit(s) up the anus as a rebuttal.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Wow,
Did you hit your head as a young child? You must realize that this psychological exam was not designed by AC? It is designed psychological experts. It is used by many different employers because of the different data that it gathers. The test cannot easily be beaten. If you try, you will fail. There are multiple different layers of questions. So, a simpleton might disparage a question about "the likability of flowers and animals ", while the expert is examining the candidate on honesty and consistency. In addition to AC, the RCMP and CSIS use the exam for candidates into their respective organizations for different career areas.
Again, enjoy your life.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Alcoholism wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:50 pm
yycflyguy wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:42 am
Alcoholism wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:27 pm

I don’t understand how that’s possible if they have degrees. I’m sure HR agrees.
There is still time for you to get a degree and re-apply....
Unfortunately, all I have time for is this:
1. I'd have to apply in the first place in order to reapply.
2. I work at a much better company with much better crews (read; non ego-cuckolds), that #1 would never happen.
3. Even if I died today and came back tomorrow as a entitled degree bearing millennial, I would feel lost without the constant smh & lols every time you amateurs make the news, or do some stupid contract shiit. Don't worry. One day you'll get it right.
4. Even if I had said above degree, it'd be a business degree, and I wouldn't be flying. I'd be one of your manager guys making you bend over every 10 years. Good luck in 2025 btw. lol
5. Must be cool to be a career FO yycguy!
6. Full Stop.
LOL.... classic.

I'm so old I got into AC before there were psych tests... and before they realized I shouldn't be a Captain. :lol:

Plans are to hire around 425 guys over the next twelve months. Must suck to know you you won't be one! The funny (read: sad) thing is that the pilot managers who have been "bending us over" are seniority holding pilots. That means you have to get hired as a pilot and then move into management. So, I just saved you all that money on a Business Degree to achieve your goals in life. You're welcome.

Toodles

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

tailgunner wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:10 am Wow,
Did you hit your head as a young child? You must realize that this psychological exam was not designed by AC? It is designed psychological experts. It is used by many different employers because of the different data that it gathers. The test cannot easily be beaten. If you try, you will fail. There are multiple different layers of questions. So, a simpleton might disparage a question about "the likability of flowers and animals ", while the expert is examining the candidate on honesty and consistency. In addition to AC, the RCMP and CSIS use the exam for candidates into their respective organizations for different career areas.
Again, enjoy your life.
Sounds like it was hard for you. Third try, or daddy finally get you in?
yycflyguy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:06 am
yycflyguy wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:42 am There is still time for you to get a degree and re-apply....
2. I work at a much better company with much better crews (read; non ego-cuckolds), that #1 would never happen.
3. Even if I died today and came back tomorrow as a entitled degree bearing millennial, I would feel lost without the constant smh & lols every time you amateurs make the news, or do some stupid contract shiit. Don't worry. One day you'll get it right.
4. Even if I had said above degree, it'd be a business degree, and I wouldn't be flying. I'd be one of your manager guys making you bend over every 10 years. Good luck in 2025 btw. lol
6. Full Stop.
LOL.... classic.

I'm so old I got into AC before there were psych tests... and before they realized I shouldn't be a Captain. :lol:

Plans are to hire around 425 guys over the next twelve months. Must suck to know you you won't be one! The funny (read: sad) thing is that the pilot managers who have been "bending us over" are seniority holding pilots. That means you have to get hired as a pilot and then move into management. So, I just saved you all that money on a Business Degree to achieve your goals in life. You're welcome.

Toodles
Yes, it's gonna suck sooo bad, that I can't be a egotistical blow hard like yourself. Or, maybe I'm a disgruntled AC pilot :shock:

What's funny is how easily the self-proclaimed-elitist-I-must-be-the-best-pilot-because-I'm-an-air-canada-pilot are to get their jimmies rustled. Not hard to see who the weak ones are :up: guess I invaded your safe space, so I do apologize. Everyone knows skill isn't a requirement to get into AC, it's either education, daddy, or life skills (crashed a plane, oh do tell us what you learned from that). In fairness, only 98% of you guys are a joke (again, see above). I know a handful of solid guys there, and they know my handle here and my intentions, so ask around.

Thanks for the laughs.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

yycflyguy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:06 am
yycflyguy wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:42 am

There is still time for you to get a degree and re-apply....
6. Full Stop.
LOL.... classic.

Toodles
Holy shit 425 guys/gals over the next 12 months, that’s 35.41 new ladies and gents every month. Alcoholism probably wouldn’t qualify for one of the .41 spots even if he thinks you are not half the man he is. Just saying.

:drinkers:

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

WWTF, WTF, WTF is wrong with some of you people? How does a legitimate post/question always turn into some kind of shite-slinging mess?

I personally found the OP quite interesting to read, but no — this one takes the cake.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Wow, very inappropriate remarks especially from those who profess to represent a corporation! Especially inappropriate are the remarks regarding people's psychological profile and somehow relating it to their worth in life and what they deserve. Perhaps Air Canada's job is not complete with the initial screening and ongoing sensitivity training is needed!!

The good news to take away from this mud sling is hiring of 425 pilots which will stimulate the market further and retaining their pilots more "interesting" for other airlines.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

cloak wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:52 am Wow, very inappropriate remarks especially from those who profess to represent a corporation! Especially inappropriate are the remarks regarding people's psychological profile and somehow relating it to their worth in life and what they deserve. Perhaps Air Canada's job is not complete with the initial screening and ongoing sensitivity training is needed!!

The good news to take away from this mud sling is hiring of 425 pilots which will stimulate the market further and retaining their pilots more "interesting" for other airlines.
Psych/cog/intelligence tests are used by many many companies. It isn't straightforward and clear to the individual what is being measured, and you can dismiss them all you want, but they have decades of clinical study and research behind them. I don't get them, but I'm not a clinical psychologist and I don't have a degree.

Alcoholism is right that it isn't your maverick-dope piloting skills that get you hired at AC. But it isn't "daddy and a degree" either, somehow I managed...

Anyway, I guess you can get some mud on you when you get in the ditch with a pig... but I don't see any problem with standing up to personal attacks or digs.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

altiplano wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:46 am
Psych/cog/intelligence tests are used by many many companies. It isn't straightforward and clear to the individual what is being measured, and you can dismiss them all you want, but they have decades of clinical study and research behind them. I don't get them, but I'm not a clinical psychologist and I don't have a degree.

Alcoholism is right that it isn't your maverick-dope piloting skills that get you hired at AC. But it isn't "daddy and a degree" either, somehow I managed...

Anyway, I guess you can get some mud on you when you get in the ditch with a pig... but I don't see any problem with standing up to personal attacks or digs.
Of course you do understand that the issue is not the tests by themselves since as you say various companies use them. The issue is rather with the way that they are being used by some as justification to vilify others. That most certainly is not acceptable, including to Air Canada.

And the question to your last comment is why would a reasonable person want to get into a ditch with a pig in the first place? Not to mention that this comment too shows self-righteousness while equating opposing comments and opinions to that of a pig, which obviously is not right either.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I don't take that comment re"psych test" as seriously "vilifying" anyone. I think that's is a tit for tat type poke as two forum members get going at one another.

"AC pilots are elitist pricks"
"Go blow yourself"
"99% of AC pilots are a joke.
"Couldn't pass the Psych test, hey"
"Whatever snowflake, daddy got you that AC job and your a shitty pilot"

blah, blah, blah... anyone taking this seriously?

In the ditch... pig... troll... whatever... apt metaphor IMO.

Some forum members involved here have a track record of trolling... and I get a laugh out of it at times...

Self righteous? Hardly... I'm not in this argument, and I just don't see any problem with someone taking a dig back when a guy starts slinging... maybe that's feeding the troll, but that's what avcanada is all about it seems...

alcoholism's comments are obvious hyperbole and meant to incite. Like I said, they're a laugh because they are so ridiculous, and that's what he gets back... He can dish, I'm sure he can take and a reasonable person doesn't take any of this seriously.

Talk about safe spaces... Forget about it...

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

:smt059

TOGA Party
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TOGA Party »

This alcoholism guy sure is pretty angry.

Push and roll, push and roll.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

TOGA Party wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 pm This alcoholism guy sure is pretty angry.
He just needs a drink. :drinkers:

and a hug :goodman:

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

TOGA Party wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 pm This alcoholism guy sure is pretty angry.
Don't be mad bro. Only because I put up with so many rubber-phallic riders in this industry. The statement you (and ACPA) should be asking is whether or not you're one of them.

Highway 401
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highway 401 »

:smt017

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

[quote=tailgunner post_id=1056603 time=1540586877 user_id=1497]
Ladies and Gentlemen,
[/quote]

Thanks god for the psych exam, otherwise this sort of thing might happen,

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e17979221/
"Yelling, crying and invoking God, the co-pilot of an Air Canada flight from Toronto to London had to be forcibly removed from the cockpit of his jetliner after suffering an emotional collapse as the plane flew over the Atlantic."

or this other incident,

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/0 ... 98171.html

“The cockpit door opens and there is the pilot and he starts screaming and holding onto the airline attendant saying ‘Help me, help me,’” Brown told the Calgary Sun.
“He was screaming, ‘Get me off the plane’ — you don’t want to hear that. He looked like he was insane, grey, dead eyes,” Brown added. He commended the cabin crew for their quick work and keeping passengers calm."

And I know of one for sure that commited suicide and probably another. I know, they will say it only happened subsequent to the exam, as if there were never any precursors.

What were those exam questions again?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

hamstandard wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:42 pm What were those exam questions again?
Probably some crap about "were you popular in high school?", "did you have friends who were popular?", "were you an athlete?", etc...

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

hamstandard wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:42 pm

"Yelling, crying and invoking God, the co-pilot of an Air Canada flight from Toronto to London had to be forcibly removed from the cockpit of his jetliner after suffering an emotional collapse as the plane flew over the Atlantic."

or this other incident,

“The cockpit door opens and there is the pilot and he starts screaming and holding onto the airline attendant saying ‘Help me, help me,’” Brown told the Calgary Sun.
“He was screaming, ‘Get me off the plane’ — you don’t want to hear that. He looked like he was insane, grey, dead eyes,” Brown added. He commended the cabin crew for their quick work and keeping passengers calm."

And I know of one for sure that commited suicide and probably another. I know, they will say it only happened subsequent to the exam, as if there were never any precursors.

It's terrifying to think these could be normal people that stress, sleep deprivation, and disrupted circadian rythms just made snap.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

[quote="Dry Guy" post_id=1059729 time=1543064803 user_id=53210]
[quote=hamstandard post_id=1059677 time=1543012936 user_id=8084]
[quote=tailgunner post_id=1056603 time=1540586877 user_id=1497]
Ladies and Gentlemen,
[/quote]

or this other incident,

[/quote]

It's terrifying to think these could be normal people that stress, sleep deprivation, and disrupted circadian rythms just made snap.
[/quote]

But seeing as only a few snapped, there must have been a prior problem. Oh yeah, that's what the exam is designed to weed out.

Return to “Air Canada”