Where is this so called shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Where is this so called shortage

Post by Outlaw58 »

Too old can NOT be the reason they won't recruit you. It would be discrimination. They have to score your application against the available positions and other applicants, so not saying that they won't reject yours but the official reason will not be age.

---------- ADS -----------

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Is there not an age limit on Pilots in the Canadian Air Force? There is for the RAF and RN.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

ehv8oar wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:43 am Is there not an age limit on Pilots in the Canadian Air Force? There is for the RAF and RN.
Well yeah there is...55 is the retirement age and that can be extended to 60 but that being said, rejecting an applicant solely based on age has been deemed discriminatory.

PS.: If you read between the lines, that means that yeah you can be rejected, but age won't be the stated reason.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Yes but with retirement age in mind and the fact that pilot training is taking an avg of 6 years there will definitely be a cutoff of "you'll never finish in time"

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Ah got ya. The RAF and RN are a bit more ageist about it then I guess, last time I checked (about 10 years ago) the top age limit to start your training to be a Pilot in the RAF was 21. I'm in my 30's now so maybe the RCAF would let me do some part time F18 flying ;)

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

ehv8oar wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:30 am Ah got ya. The RAF and RN are a bit more ageist about it then I guess, last time I checked (about 10 years ago) the top age limit to start your training to be a Pilot in the RAF was 21. I'm in my 30's now so maybe the RCAF would let me do some part time F18 flying ;)
Being in your 30's is far from being a show stopper to become a hornet driver. In fact, there is a very high demand for fighter drivers. It is way more likely that passing the recruitment process, primary pilot training and if you do make it passed those hurdles, getting a good enough flying score to be considered for the jet will get in the way WELL before age does.

If you do make it'll keep in mind that flying the hornet is tough on the body which is why very few drivers continue to fly it inter 40s, but some do. It is also very tough on family life so if you if a S.O. and/or kids, so if you want to enjoy a job like that, the thrill of flying has to trump your desire for a family life (much more demanding for the family than being an airline pilot).

So? Do your feel lucky? ;)

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Outlaw58 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:21 am Too old can NOT be the reason they won't recruit you. It would be discrimination. They have to score your application against the available positions and other applicants, so not saying that they won't reject yours but the official reason will not be age.

Thanks, I'm going to look into it more, I'm 45 by the way.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Not to be discouraging or off-topic, but I read something, somewhere, about the selection process after recruitment, and how the chances of making it through fast jet selection after the age of 35 has been nonexistent due to the physical requirements in the centrifuge.
For a fleeting while I wanted to be the one to break that, but then the rest of life happened, including airlines.

Can anyone else chime in on that aspect of selection? I may be completely incorrect.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

The oldest successful student I have seen through Moose Jaw was in his late 40's. The oldest I have seen go fighters was late 30's. If it's something you are truly interested in I encourage you to harass recruiting until they provide an answer.

As others have said, high-G environments are not the easiest on the body though effect varies greatly by individual and age doesnt affect some. Many develop back and neck problems, though that is equally true for the helo pilots.

People say Fighters are hard on family. So are the C-17, AAR Airbus, J-Herc, Maritime Helo, Tac Hel, etc. Like anything else in life, each has its own set of positives and negatives.

Last edited by TT1900 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:19 pm Can anyone else chime in on that aspect of selection? I may be completely incorrect.
The centrifuge is awful, no doubt, but it's not the limiting factor for 99%. F-18 & Hawk pilots have to do 5G without the G-suit and 7.5G with G-Suit. Snowbirds have to do 6G without the suit, which in my opinion is more difficult. Lots of Snowbirds who are 35+.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

TT1900 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:41 pm People say Fighters are hard on family. So are the C-17, AAR Airbus, J-Herc, Maritime Helo, Tac Hel, etc. Like anything else in life, each has its own set of positives and negatives.
True. I should have specified most military flying is demanding on family. Instructing and SAR would be the most family friendly kind of military flying. And after that there is the Air Reserve :)

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

I don’t know what kind of dreamworld some of you are living in, but Air Canada doesn’t need to “justify” it’s starting salary. Business is business. It’s economics. They, and any other airline for that matter, won’t pay pilots any more unless they need to. And right now, they don’t!

It’s not hard to understand. You all know what you signed up for when you paid tens of thousands of dollars to become a pilot...or did you?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:04 pm I don’t know what kind of dreamworld some of you are living in, but Air Canada doesn’t need to “justify” it’s starting salary. Business is business. It’s economics. They, and any other airline for that matter, won’t pay pilots any more unless they need to. And right now, they don’t!

It’s not hard to understand. You all know what you signed up for when you paid tens of thousands of dollars to become a pilot...or did you?
Yes! You just answered the question that started this whole discussion, that there is no shortage. If there was then air Canada's starting wage would reflect that and be a hell of alot more. Any job, trade or profession will pay more if they can't find people, that's economics.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Not really. Operators can, and have, simply lowered the bar in terms of experience required.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

As has been pointed out numerous times, presently there is not a shortage of pilots but a shortage of experienced pilots. If nothing major changes (and the economy continues to do well) eventually demand for 700 hour pilots will outpace the supply and the regionals will start taking 500 hour pilots, then 200 hour pilots. If demand still outpaces supply, pay may then increase.

Many 703/704 operators are already having trouble finding pilots. Can you imagine how much harder it will be if the regionals start hiring at 200 hours so there is no need to 'pay your dues' or gain any experience prior to being hired?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Many 703/704 operators are already having trouble finding pilots. Can you imagine how much harder it will be if the regionals start hiring at 200 hours so there is no need to 'pay your dues' or gain any experience prior to being hired?
I wonder what that says about the difficulty of flying an airplane?

Of all the kinds of work I ever did flying was by far the easiest way to make money.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:07 pm
I wonder what that says about the difficulty of flying an airplane?

Of all the kinds of work I ever did flying was by far the easiest way to make money.
What's your tolerance for being a passenger with a low time Captain and a lower time FO in this, the easiest profession, in existence?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

What's your tolerance for being a passenger with a low time Captain and a lower time FO in this, the easiest profession, in existence?
There is a way to find out how much experience a crew has before getting in the airplane?

Where do I find this information?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

How about we answer each question with a question?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:46 am
There is a way to find out how much experience a crew has before getting in the airplane?

Where do I find this information?

Return to “General Comments”