AME(M) OR AME(S)

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

butterflyRotors
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME(M) OR AME(S)

Post by butterflyRotors »

I would like to avoid schooling as much as possible.
I have seen aviation companies hiring people with auto body experience, so I guess sheet metal stuff is a good field to jump into.
The Aircraft structure tech course is 10 months.
It starts in the fall in BC or AB
I would like to end up with a (M) license
I could do the ICS LEARN.ca online AME(M) while waiting for next fall.
I know ICS online course is badly regarded by many chiefs but,
If I end up with both (S) & (M) apprentice, can I work on both at the same time?

Do AME(S) work with AME(M) often ?

Do all medium size companies require AME(S)
What about helicopters ? Any work for the AME(S) on helicopters ?
---------- ADS -----------

eddiezz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AME(M) OR AME(S)

Post by eddiezz »

first of all . you don't get any license right out of school . and according to you , you are going to do a 10 months course on sheet metal ? I don't think it is TC accredited ( correct me if I'm wrong )

so for AME M , you will need 48 months apprenticeship , then 4 exams . (depend on which type of aircraft you work on , you either get M1-Small aircraft or M2-Large aircraft)

for AME S , 48 months apprenticeship then exams..

for helicopters , all you need is AME-M

JakeLRS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JakeLRS »

Also if you do two years of school (M, S or both) your apprenticeship is only 24 months.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

:roll: All quotations my own interpretation:

#1 - "I wan't to do the minimalist of 'school' " - I suppose you're too good for the rest of us? 18 months to fix airplanes is sweet-f***-all when you compare to other industries.

#2 - "I have autobody experience so obviously i'm gods-gift to sheet metal' - News-flash - Airplanes are old. Unless you're repairing Citation, LearJet door cutouts, or King Air/Dash Ice-Shields your Bondo skills mean F-All. And by F all I mean it's not that easy to figure out. Go look at Canadian North's 737's. Glorious-orgasm-inducing patches-on-patches. The size of the rivets make me wet.

#3 - "I want to end up with M license but want some magical shortcut where I can go from S to M" - Pucker up and go get your M and your decent structures skills will be useful anyways. Any operator with non-pressurized equipment will milk you for what your worth.

#4 - No once gives a F if you started with an ICS course. The reality is they'll know within the first hour-and-forty-minutes of watching you work they'll know what you are capable of.

#5 - If you are gonna work Helo's just get an M.

#6 - If you are serious PM me and I'll buy yeah a beer and we can wax-poetics. There's tonnes of work out there for a decent apprentice/AME so at the very least you may not me making the most monetary-lucrative decision but it is a stable one.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

butterflyRotors wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:25 pm I would like to avoid schooling as much as possible.
I have seen aviation companies hiring people with auto body experience, so I guess sheet metal stuff is a good field to jump into.
The Aircraft structure tech course is 10 months.
It starts in the fall in BC or AB
I would like to end up with a (M) license
I could do the ICS LEARN.ca online AME(M) while waiting for next fall.
I know ICS online course is badly regarded by many chiefs but,
If I end up with both (S) & (M) apprentice, can I work on both at the same time?

Do AME(S) work with AME(M) often ?

Do all medium size companies require AME(S)
What about helicopters ? Any work for the AME(S) on helicopters ?
That first line right there says to me you should be a pilot

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

If you want to break into the aircraft maintenance industry, and you have some hand skills and aren’t a complete retard, and don’t want to go to school, then start at an AMO as a labourer or cleaner or paint prepper.

You’ll get to know people, make connections, keep your eyes open, read lots, and when they see what you’re capable of, then ask if you can move up to an AME M apprentice position and start the ICS course. Alternatively, blast through a shorter AME S course and start as a sheet metal apprentice.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

That first line right there says to me you should be a pilot
Absoletuly, because flying them requires far less knowledge that fixing them.

Return to “Maintenance”