How early can you renew your Cat 1

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

mataxa
Rank 0
Rank 0

How early can you renew your Cat 1

Post by mataxa »

i forget and i'm looking for some quick help. TC website is a nightmare.

How early in advance of the original expiry of your CAT 1 medical can you get your medical done and still keep the original expiry date?

TIA
---------- ADS -----------

AvconsultantON
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: How early can you renew your Cat 1

Post by AvconsultantON »

I had always falsely believed that there was a 90 day grace period without changing the validity date. I was mistaken. I obtained my new aviation document booklet and the medical exam date of the previous year was written as 02/04/2016 (April 4th, 2016) in the old booklet. When the issuing authority looked over my information they perceived this incorrectly to show an exam date of 02/04/2016 as Feb 4th, 2016 in the new booklet. After talking to someone from TC Toronto and TC in Ottawa, they advised me that it would be best to just eat the cost of 2 months of medical validity and quite simply get the medical for 2017 done before the 1st of March (1st day of the 13th month). I did it, without much fuss. It certainly proved that there was no "90 day" grace or even 30 day grace period for medical renewal, without it affecting the original date.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Well, since medicals always expire on the last day of a month - you get a month period. For example, if your medical is valid until 1 March, you can have the exam any time in February, and the new one will be valid until 1 March of the next year, or 1 September, depending on age.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

404.04 (8(a))
The end of the validity period of a medical certificate that is renewed in accordance with subsection (1.1) is calculated from

(a) the day on which the preceding validity period ends if the medical examination for the renewal of the certificate is conducted within 90 days before the end of that validity period;

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Good catch!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

AvconsultantON wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm It certainly proved that there was no "90 day" grace or even 30 day grace period for medical renewal, without it affecting the original date.
Unfortunately all it proved was that you had the ‘help’ of a particularly lazy office drone that day. It also shows how poorly they track your medical exam history.

I dare you to take it to TATC to get your two months back.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Loner wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:08 pm 404.04 (8(a))
The end of the validity period of a medical certificate that is renewed in accordance with subsection (1.1) is calculated from

(a) the day on which the preceding validity period ends if the medical examination for the renewal of the certificate is conducted within 90 days before the end of that validity period;
Talk about good catch yes! :shock:
I never realized that one before or even heard about it!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

When I pointed out 404.04 8(a) to my employer she said "Yes, we know, Transport Canada doesn't, go do your medical."

I went and did my medical.

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

TC does know, and nowhere on your sticker does it give an expiry date. They simply show your exam date and refer you to CAR 404.04 for validity. If you can show 404.04 and a chain of medicals that meet the requirements, legally you're good to use the 90 day period.

The intended use of the 90 day period is to give TC time to issue you a new sticker if needed (which can take 90 days...). That is, get your medical done early enough that you get the sticker before your current medical expires. However, if your CAME gives you a stamp, there's a better option:

If you're concerned about getting the full time, simply wait till the medical expires at the end of the month and get it renewed on the 1st of the next...pickup a month at each renewal.

Last edited by nbinont on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Under what circumstances does TC issue a sticker? I've never had anything other than a stamp from the CAME - nothing in the mail from TC.

By the way, if you renew a couple of months early several times in a row, you're going to be digging back a long long way to find the original examination that means your current expiry date is two or three months past what looks like its regular expiration date.

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

-Medical category change (3->1, etc), change of restrictions.
-Also, if you're living outside the country, TC can accept a medical done by an aviation doc certified by another ICAO member state, but you don't get a stamp. TC has to review, approve, and sent you a sticker.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

nbinont wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 amAlso, if you're living outside the country, TC can accept a medical done by an aviation doc certified by another ICAO member state, but you don't get a stamp. TC has to review, approve, and sent you a sticker.
That's very useful to know.

mataxa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mataxa »

Loner wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:08 pm 404.04 (8(a))

We have a winner ; )
Thank you Loner, I knew it was buried in there somewhere

Return to “Health & Fitness”