Vans RV4 info

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Camlubbs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Vans RV4 info

Post by Camlubbs »

I have been considering building an aircraft for a while, and after lots of research, I think I have settled on the RV4.

I have never flown an RV, so I would love to speak with someone who owns, or especially has built an RV4.

I would be very interested in going for a ride in one, and I would be happy to cover the cost of fuel and lunch. I Live in the Peterborough area but would be willing to travel a couple hours.

Thanks,

Cam
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Vans RV4 info

Post by JasonE »

There is a forum specific to RV's. Lots of helpful people on there. You can likely find someone fairly local to you through there: http://www.vansairforce.net/

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I second the recommendation to check out VAF. Most if not all of the Canadian owners post on there, or at least follow along in the shadows.

I've flown in most of the RV types, have seen a number at various stages of construction, and own an RV-6. I could probably answer a number of your questions.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Are you aware that RV4 kits are no longer manufactured?

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

ahramin wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:39 pm Are you aware that RV4 kits are no longer manufactured?
It looks like the quick build is not available, but it appears you can still buy kits for the RV4. Unless I'm reading the website wrong. They do however state that due to the decline is sales of some of the older model kits, the prices have gone up substantially.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Whoops, disregard. It looks like you can still order the entire RV-4 kit. I see you can even order RV-6 fuselage kits but not wings or tail. Interesting.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

RV6 was replaced by the RV7, thus ceased production of the initial parts of the kit. If you had one half built, you can still finish the RV6.

You could say the same about the RV4 and RV8, but in that case, the RV4 kit is used as the basis for the Harmon Rocket. There is still a small need for near-complete RV4 kits. It is basically a large modification with most of the parts the same.

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

If you like the RV-4, you would like the RV-8, a better aircraft all around and the price increase for building a -8 would be negligible or possibly even less. Then again if I was only interested in -4, I would buy instead of building. Good ones available in the 45-50K US. Personnally, I built a -9 and a -10 and I will never to back to owning a certified a/c.

Michel

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

Here is where you can find everything about RVs. The Bible for RVs.
http://www.vansairforce.net

Michel

Camlubbs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Camlubbs »

Thanks for all the replies! I am new to the forms and must have email notifications turned off because I thought no one had replied until I just logged in!

I have spoke with Vans and although they do still sell the 4 kit as you guys have said, they really push towards the 8 or another model. I would hate to start building and have them discontinue

I am going to look a little more closely at some of the other models and go from there. Flightchops also just did a couple YouTube videos at vans as well.

I will go check out Vans Airforce.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

A friend of mine flies an RV4. Ive flown with him numerous times and you should be aware of how cramped it is in the back seat. I’m 6’ / 180 and any bigger than that won’t be pretty, especially for more than 2 hrs. Just thinking about it from a passenger POV.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I think if one is planning on having a regular passenger in an RV it's best to forget about the tandem ones.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Cam: I've flown an RV 4 belonging to a friend. It's a delightful aircraft; but, as he states, it's really a 1 1/2 seat aircraft. I've flown in the back and it gets really uncomfortable after about an hour. However, it you don't intend to routinely carry passengers. it might suit your purpose.

I agree with another poster; I'd buy one rather than build. The '4 is much, much more labour intensive than any of the other models. If you want tandem, go for the RV-8. If you aren't interested in aerobatics, the RV-9 is a delightful aircraft.

I have an RV-7A, but I do some limited aerobatics. If it weren't for that, I'd have gone with a -9 or 9A.

John

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ahramin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:00 pm I think if one is planning on having a regular passenger in an RV it's best to forget about the tandem ones.
Having flown in the back of multiple -4's, -8's, and Rockets, I can say that this is poor advice at best. The -4 is a little limited in what you can put in the back seat, but the -8 and Rocket aren't really, for most practical purposes. That said, every -4 i've been in has been me (180lb) and the pilot (180lb) and plenty of gas... So it's do-able. If your SO is smaller than you, it gets easier.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I've sat in the back of a -4 and -8. -8 was comfy, -4 was a bit cramped. I'm just under 6 feet and and had to slouch a bit for my headset to clear the canopy. Lots of people have done 100 lbs gross weight increase on the -8 too. When I build an RV it's primarily for me, passengers get what they get :) Planning to order an -8 in the springtime.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

JasonE wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:58 pmWhen I build an RV it's primarily for me, passengers get what they get :)
My thought exactly. If the goal is a personal airplane that can carry a second person when needed, the RV8 is great.

It's not about physically fitting in the rear seat, it's about the conviviality of your passenger sitting next to you, being able to see what you are doing, making eye contact, etc.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

I was looking at a -4 in BC a few years ago and this guy put me in touch with other RVer's out there who did a prebuy for me. (Short story, I did not buy it from what was found) I emailed with him (Kevin) back then and he seems like a pretty nice guy. From his website, he obviously likes talking planes so you could touch base with him if you wanted to bounce questions.

I had to edit this post. After I posted this, I read through his updates and looks like he is now in Washington. But the website still has info I found interesting.

My friends have built 9A's and I have been in a 6A, years ago. All nice aircraft. Wish I would have committed to building one years ago. Today, I would buy built, if the plane came along.

https://kilohotel.com/rv8/

Partial kits come along occasionally on Barnstormers or Kijiji so keep checking there or put a wanted ad out there. From what I hear, don't bring a partially built kit into Canada (lots of paperwork and hoops) and if you find one in Canada, be sure it has been registered with MDRA or at least, no sections closed up before they get inspected. You have probably looked into that.

Good luck!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ShawnR wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 pmFrom what I hear, don't bring a partially built kit into Canada (lots of paperwork and hoops) and if you find one in Canada, be sure it has been registered with MDRA or at least, no sections closed up before they get inspected. You have probably looked into that.
The largest risk with bringing in a US kit is that sections have been closed and can't be inspected anymore. Otherwise, the paperwork is no different than buying a partially built kit in Canada.

Mooney21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooney21 »

AirFrame wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:35 am
ShawnR wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 pmFrom what I hear, don't bring a partially built kit into Canada (lots of paperwork and hoops) and if you find one in Canada, be sure it has been registered with MDRA or at least, no sections closed up before they get inspected. You have probably looked into that.
The largest risk with bringing in a US kit is that sections have been closed and can't be inspected anymore. Otherwise, the paperwork is no different than buying a partially built kit in Canada.
Your chance in finding a partially built kit in the States are better. I have found and imported a RV-10 kit that had been started with all empennage completed. I was satisfied after inspection that the work was good and I took the chance of importing it with the possibility of having to open some components if required by MD-RA inspector. My inspector did a very thorough job in inspecting the kit using small flashlight and mirrors that allow him to view inside the different part. I did not have to open any of them. But not all inspectors would be willing doing it this way. If you do find a good kit already closed up, check with your MD-RA inspector first. You could save yourself 7 to 8 months in waiting for a kit from Vans plus hundreds of hours of building. And you usually get all the performed work for free.

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

Mooney and Airframe

Good to know. Thanks. Maybe I will start wishful thinking again...:-)

Cheers,

Return to “General Comments”