Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by The5chord »

AC A320 FO
Year
1 - 56
2 - 61
12 - 140

AA 320 FO
1- 88
2 -133
12 - 184

Brutal and I didn’t even do the conversion.
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Air Canada vs American Airlines A320

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

I still don’t understand how the airlines in the States pay substantially more for the same job, offer way cheaper fares, and still stay in business, grow and modernize fleets...what is AC hiding from us? Are they saving massive amounts of money for a rainy day fund or what? Does this have something to do with the privatization or public use of airports and costs associated in said countries?

Living costs in the states are also way less than Canada. Quite the time to be a pilot in the states. It’s like the Canadian pilots are watching the US pilots with eyes of jealousy.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Supply and demand. AC doesn’t have to raise their pay. They still get lots of resumes. Remember, we don’t need 1500hrs to fly an airliner in canada!

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Also, AA's fleet is five times the size of ACs, and they have three times the staff, serving a country nearly as big with 10 times the population, with over double the revenue. Probably has something to do with it.

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

FishermanIvan wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:36 am Also, AA's fleet is five times the size of ACs, and they have three times the staff, serving a country nearly as big with 10 times the population, with over double the revenue. Probably has something to do with it.
Compare it then to NZ or Australia. Smaller populations, just as expensive to live, but far cheaper fares and pay is double to start.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 pm I still don’t understand how the airlines in the States pay substantially more for the same job, offer way cheaper fares, and still stay in business, grow and modernize fleets...what is AC hiding from us? Are they saving massive amounts of money for a rainy day fund or what? Does this have something to do with the privatization or public use of airports and costs associated in said countries?

Living costs in the states are also way less than Canada. Quite the time to be a pilot in the states. It’s like the Canadian pilots are watching the US pilots with eyes of jealousy.
I can guarantee you this pilot is not jealous.They could triple that U.S. pay and I would still feel sorry for those living in Trumps America

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

In the not distant past AC pilots were leading the North American carriers in pay. But the land of equality (Canada) has held us back... Other airlines still making less have held us back...

It's high time all the Canadian Airline Pilots start to strive for pay levels akin to our neighbours to the south... I'd be happy if we can achieve the same dollar amount ignoring foreign currency gain/loss... Pattern bargaining and gains has been immensely successful for them, that's how we have to push it here. WS makes a gain, AC tops it, TS makes a gain, SW tops it, WS tops that, and so on. Dig in heels and let's get going (UP!).

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

If you really want to be depressed compare the 777 FO scale that some AC new hire will be forced on. It'll be especially bad because they'll be forced on reserve with shit schedule and very little OT until they can bid an upgrade...

American Airlines B777 FO
1- 88 USD = 120 CAD
2 -164 USD = 222 CAD
3 - 192 USD = 260 CAD

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

av8ts wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 am I can guarantee you this pilot is not jealous.They could triple that U.S. pay and I would still feel sorry for those living in Trumps America
Does that mean you're enamoured to be living in Trudeau's Canada, or just that you feel the U.S. sucks even more than Canada does right now?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

The only grain of salt to keep in mind when drooling over those numbers is health insurance. It can be quite expensive. That being said I'd jump at the chance to live and work in the US. Better pay, lower taxes, affordable real estate, lower cost of living. Near zero fees for personal travel. Austin, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Palm Springs... I could easily live and work in any of these beautiful cities, and coming home to visit family and friends would be easier and cheaper than it is now... The US will need thousands of pilots over the next few years, even if they took every ATPL holder in Canada that wouldn't satisfy the anticipated demand. God help Canadian Aviation if they open their doors.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Mr. North wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm The only grain of salt to keep in mind when drooling over those numbers is health insurance. It can be quite expensive. That being said I'd jump at the chance to live and work in the US. Better pay, lower taxes, affordable real estate, lower cost of living. Near zero fees for personal travel. Austin, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Palm Springs... I could easily live and work in any of these beautiful cities, and coming home to visit family and friends would be easier and cheaper than it is now... The US will need thousands of pilots over the next few years, even if they took every ATPL holder in Canada that wouldn't satisfy the anticipated demand. God help Canadian Aviation if they open their doors.
All the big unionized airlines in the US provide health insurance. I imagine those figures don't include benefits, just like the salaries here don't include dental insurance, drug plans, etc.

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

do you guys think US Aviation will open the door to Canadian Pilots ? the pay here is a joke.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

flybyyou wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:21 pm do you guys think US Aviation will open the door to Canadian Pilots ? the pay here is a joke.
No - I don't

What I think is far more likely is they would hire Canadian airlines to take on Capacity Purchase Agreements (CPA) to move around passengers south of the border.

You would have cheap labour while airlines down south would reap the benefits of our pathetic state

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I can guarantee you this pilot is not jealous.They could triple that U.S. pay and I would still feel sorry for those living in Trumps America
What exactly is Trumps America?

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:55 pm What exactly is Trumps America?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

av8ts wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 am
FOD_Vacuum wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 pm I still don’t understand how the airlines in the States pay substantially more for the same job, offer way cheaper fares, and still stay in business, grow and modernize fleets...what is AC hiding from us? Are they saving massive amounts of money for a rainy day fund or what? Does this have something to do with the privatization or public use of airports and costs associated in said countries?

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the last 2 years we have someone 10x as stupid running the show here.

Let’s Go Brandon
Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 pm
av8ts wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 am

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the last 2 years we have someone 10x as stupid running the show here.
Christ. I'll never understand the absolute hatred of Trudeau. It's fair to say you dislike his policies or politics but come on, you think he's worse than Trump?

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Tail-Chaser wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Christ. I'll never understand the absolute hatred of Trudeau. It's fair to say you dislike his policies or politics but come on, you think he's worse than Trump?
Two words for you: "people kind". Trudeau the Second is a pussy.

AAs 320s are also fresh out of the box, ACs are ready to be turned in to pop cans.

AA can suck it anyways, Onex too.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

pianokeys wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:08 am
Tail-Chaser wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Two words for you: "people kind". Trudeau the Second is a pussy.

AAs 320s are also fresh out of the box, ACs are ready to be turned in to pop cans.

AA can suck it anyways, Onex too.
Wow. Such a strong critique. You've really changed my mind.

The5chord
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by The5chord »

The health insurance accounts for nothing. AA pilots probably have a pretty nice package and if you are in a certain tier of society in the USA the health services are probably better user experience than in Canada.

Now if you lose your medical and your income there...

Return to “General Comments”