New to the team

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

milo83
Rank 0
Rank 0

New to the team

Post by milo83 »

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I'm new to the form and have a few questions.
A bit of back ground.
I'm an Australian and am very happy to say I'll be heading over Canada in May as a permeant resident accompanying my wife. I'm employed in Australia full time flying a mix of work in as350's, 206B3 and 206L3. My total flight time is just over 2000h with a bit over 1000h turbine mixed between the 206 series and the as350. I have some 100ft line experience however not really precision work.

So I suppose the questions;

How are the job prospects at my experience level currently in BC and Alberta?

I see a few companies operate out of Fort Nelson do they tour pilots out of there? If not how is the place to live?

Do you guys do much single engine IFR or like Australia is It nearly all done in twins? In Aus if your not flying offshore rigs, EMS or MPT there is not many jobs that require an IFR rating so most pilots are VFR its just to cost prohibitive.

Thanks for your time and replies.
---------- ADS -----------

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New to the team

Post by MOAB »

Hi Milo

Where are you doing your license conversion? Have you spoke with any companies or applied anywhere?

In Canada you cannot fly single engine IFR unless your training, it’s all Multi.

If you talking about Ft. Nelson I assume your already familiar with the operator there who only hires TFW’s.

If you don’t mind me asking, with all your experience why move to Canada and live in some shotty town with iffy schedules if you can easily find work is Aus, PNG, Kiwiland?

milo83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by milo83 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply mate,

Will be doing the conversion with Chinook Helicopters at this stage.

I will make contact with some companies once I've completed the conversion just really after local trends, what time of year is busy where.

As for work in Aus, PNG and Kiwi land there is work around and I am in a good job full time flying in Aus and its a great place to work, however we are migrating to Canada with the family mainly because of my wife's work. Cant wait have worked with some good lads from Canada before I was a pilot should be fun.

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

Your timing is good, lots of pilots heading towards retirement in Canada over the next few years.

Ft. Nelson is fairly isolated and cold in the winter, it is also a fairly small town. With your background you should have no trouble finding work. Most pilots tour in Canada, if you don’t then will likely end up on in a small isolated town. Even if you end up on a base some touring might be required.

Longline skills are a common preference with most companies, especially BC and Alberta. A mountain course and/or mountain experience is also an asset.

Good Luck

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

Milo,

Welcome to the other side of the world. If you haven't already, go over to the forms on the Vertical Magazine site. You'll have to register to access the employment forums, but a lot of Canadian Operators will throw advertisements on there. Word of caution though - there's some rather militant anti-foreign conversion people over there as well so might be better to lurk over there and just look at the posts. Issue is more to do with people who come here for a couple years and leave more than pilots that are planning to move here full-time.

With your experience and types you shouldn't have a problem finding interested operators. For BC and Alberta you'll need not only a mountain course, but time on type in the mountains. Especially for BC Forestry.

Companies will start looking for hires around end of January for the 2019 Season, so your timing sounds pretty good. If you have your IFR, Chinook has good contacts within that sector as well.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Canada is full

asbs006
Rank 0
Rank 0