Seeking accomodation for groundschool.

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Seeking accomodation for groundschool.

Post by ant_321 »

Sunwing provided me a hotel and rental car in YYZ when that was my base. An airline can’t expect you to pack up and move your life across the country with a couple weeks notice. The hotel and car came in handy for apartment hunting in yyz.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Devil's advocate here: don't they ask you "when can you start"? Doesn't that imply you should have your living situation figured out by then?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

On a positive note. At least you didn’t even have to wait for day 1 of employment to start to see your new employers shitty ways...... 👍

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Unless it has changed. At Sky you are on the hook for accommodations in YYZ if the job offer is outside of 3 weeks (I think, might be 1 month). If it is inside this time frame they will than supply the accommodations.
goleafsgo wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:09 pm What about the other airlines where you know your base when you accept the job? Sunwing, Georgian rj? Possibly sky regional? What an embarrassment wj/encore is not providing accommodations for initial training

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

digits_ wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:03 pm
C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 pm Just because it's your base doesn't mean you live there.
True, but can you blame your employer for that? The pilot is still responsible to report on time for duty well rested, so that could mean getting a crashpad. Why would that be different for training? Of course a hotel would be nice in that case, but I still can't see why that would be Westjet's problem. You accepted the job with a pre assigned base. Which, as mentioned above, is a pretty big difference between Westjet and Jazz etc.
The 703 operator I had an offer from pays for accomodation for training. Even called me though I politely declined as I'm roughly 10 minutes from the airport.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Does Transat or Sunwing pay for accommodation?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:40 am The 703 operator I had an offer from pays for accomodation for training. Even called me though I politely declined as I'm roughly 10 minutes from the airport.
Nice! Very classy! Can I ask who the operator is? I'm sure some positive publicity for them would be welcome in this hiring climate.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Skycare lol. I understand they are unpopular on here. I have no real first hand knowledge of the operation thus far. Yeah the bond sucks, but while it's not prorated it's not up front either. While this possibly says more about the state of the industry and how hard it is for 703's to keep guys rather than the company itself. I was supposed to start groundschool Sept 13. On Sept 10 I started feeling sick and on the 12 I was diagnosed with mumps which then actually turned out to be mono, and thyroid cancer. I've had major surgery and am in recovery and this whole time I've kept them updated, and I still have a standing offer, and they let me know each time a groundschool will start and if I think I'll be ready for it or if I wish to wait for the next. I've pushed the date twice so far and was told last week I could start Jan 26 or we could wait till early March if that works better. I even asked if I could have some of the training material now since all I'm doing is sitting at home watching tv and they happily sent it to me.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Skycare is better than Encore. Suggest all future applicants to apply there instead.

lemdkmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lemdkmia »

You can stay at my condo in Edmonton. It's on the southside.

kc1337
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kc1337 »

What do you guys think of crashpads, I'll be commuting in from yvr. Essential or can I just commute.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Oxi wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:33 am Does Transat or Sunwing pay for accommodation?
Swg does

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

kc1337 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:57 pm Hi All,

I'll be starting my groundschool with Encore in January in YYC. Looking for a place to stay for 6 weeks for the training. Also can anyone give me some insights on how crash pads work?

please send me an e-mail at kennethcho1030@gmail.com

Encore doesn't provide a hotel for initial training? Sad.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Correction, Westjet group does not provide accommodations if the training is at your base.

Lightchop wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:28 pm

I'll be starting my groundschool with Encore in January in YYC. Looking for a place to stay for 6 weeks for the training. Also can anyone give me some insights on how crash pads work?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 am Correction, Westjet group does not provide accommodations if the training is at your base.

If I was applying at companies and saw one that didn't supply housing during training that would be a pretty quick decision. What else do they cut costs on?

I've heard they have an app that tells you to slow down if you're early or climb even if is just saves a few dollars. Stories of FA's coming up to the flight deck and asking the Captain "why are you burning away my profit sharing" when the APU was on.

Sounds like a fantastic place to work!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm
flyinhigh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 am Correction, Westjet group does not provide accommodations if the training is at your base.

If I was applying at companies and saw one that didn't supply housing during training that would be a pretty quick decision. What else do they cut costs on?

I've heard they have an app that tells you to slow down if you're early or climb even if is just saves a few dollars. Stories of FA's coming up to the flight deck and asking the Captain "why are you burning away my profit sharing" when the APU was on.

Sounds like a fantastic place to work!
I don’t know about the FA’s and APU but don’t most airlines have some sort of costing they type into the FMC and get a speed from that depending on the day?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Yeah, doesn't mean you have to use it. We're late almost every day so costing on the Q goes out the window we're allowed to try to make up time in cruise if the fuel works.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I'll be the first one to say that the Westjet group is NOT what it was 10 years ago, and in fact many people are pissed so much that the flood gates have opened on people leaving.

That said, the programming on the system that is in the Q has made even the Jazz pilots that come over envious. Also, the cost index app looks at all parameters including OTP. If you are running behind schedule, it'll tell you to speed up.
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:39 pm Yeah, doesn't mean you have to use it. We're late almost every day so costing on the Q goes out the window we're allowed to try to make up time in cruise if the fuel works.

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:39 pm Yeah, doesn't mean you have to use it. We're late almost every day so costing on the Q goes out the window we're allowed to try to make up time in cruise if the fuel works.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/j ... 09791.html

TimothysAr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seeking accomodation for groundschool

Post by TimothysAr »

Looking for a 30-30, 25-06 or 45 lc carbine barrel. Would also consider trade for wooden stock and forend.

Return to “WestJet Encore”