Best place for multi IFR training??

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Best place for multi IFR training??

Post by flyingjerry »

Did my multi and the ifr at cornwall in 18 days with 6 no fly days.

It's fast and hard, but definitely doable.

The one thing is I had to insist on learning was how to do approaches (NDB, Arcs, VOR) without GPS. Otherwise they will only show you Rnavv's and ILS.
---------- ADS -----------

Icepyropilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Icepyropilot »

:smt014 :smt014 Cornwall is a Great school to do your multi IFR just remember you will be there for a few weeks to a month based on weather. If you do stay there, there is a lovely retired couple who hosts students at their house for a unbelievable low price daily and the best part is that they are 3 homecooked meals daily! I stayed there a month and . & Sue became my family away from home. You get a great room with a desk in a beautiful country farm home with 2 wonderful people who just happen to love to cook. You can walk to the airport from their house and they will also help you arrange transportation to & from their home. The last thing you want to worry about when your studying is cooking and buying your food. This is your all inclusive near Cornwall Aviation. You can message me for more info or call . & Sue directly at ‭(613) 330-1314‬. You can thank me latter!

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

Looking for information on Cornwall if someone can shoot me a PM.

Thanks.

mimister
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mimister »

At Cornwall you will be loading up the flight plan in the GPS for half hour on the ground while 2 engines are running @ $400 per hour and the instructor who doesn't give a shit about you or your money is looking out the window and/or texting.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

mimister wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 am At Cornwall you will be loading up the flight plan in the GPS for half hour on the ground while 2 engines are running @ $400 per hour and the instructor who doesn't give a shit about you or your money is looking out the window and/or texting.
Practice with the Garmin online simulators so it doesn't take half an hour, haha

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

mimister wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:14 am At Cornwall you will be loading up the flight plan in the GPS for half hour on the ground while 2 engines are running @ $400 per hour and the instructor who doesn't give a shit about you or your money is looking out the window and/or texting.

Not my experience over the last 15 years and with several different instructors...

If I had to chose a place to go to on my own dime Cornwall would still be at the top of my list.

All the best,
TPC

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Not my experience over the last 15 years and with several different instructors...

If I had to chose a place to go to on my own dime Cornwall would still be at the top of my list.

All the best,
TPC
Do they do the IPC - instrument proficiency check or just initial IFR. And if anybody has done the IPC at Cornwall how long did it take to get it done? I read that at least one approach must be a GPS approach.
thanks

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Input flight plans on ground power? If school balks, saying a/c too busy to be down that long, then school should use canned routes that just have to be brought up.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

7507 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 pm

All the best,
TPC
Do they do the IPC - instrument proficiency check or just initial IFR. And if anybody has done the IPC at Cornwall how long did it take to get it done? I read that at least one approach must be a GPS approach.
thanks
Yep, a Rnav approach was done back when I needed to do a (useless ride to me) for an ATPL application back in 2014... Safe yourself some trouble and call them up directly... they were very nice to me over the phone...

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Minus CYCC, where else will be the best option for Group 1 IFR training? Thank You

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

I'd go along with the suggestion of doing an initial instrument rating elsewhere.
The operators are not instructors, they are "owners" who continue to have
instructors leave them quickly. The toxic atmosphere may not be visible
from a student's perspective. There are plenty of their former instructors around
who can fill you in if you are thinking of working for them.

The options unfortunately are not that great without leaving the province.
Few flight schools pay what is necessary and have a mind set where the hourly
rate presently charged decides what the instructor will be paid.

It's tragic but true that some ME instructors are desperate for hours
and have long ground running times that may be different elsewhere.
Not all instructors are going to engage in those behaviours. Just because
one poster experienced that does not mean their "new" instructors, who
have yet to be hired, will do the same. Absent a significant increase
in pay, they are going to have trouble attracting and retaining
instructors who have what is necessary for quality ME IFR instructing.

That aside, I had a reasonable experience at Cornwall but don't
feel comfortable about ever sending anyone else there.
Getting an IPC done with Glen
is very straight forward.

It's a pity to see so many instructors up and leave at very short notice
who generally go to other instructing positions.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Where will that be if I have to "do an initial instrument rating elsewhere."?
I think beyond this point, I don't mind going out of province. I mean 11 months before the INRAT expiration and I'd rather avoid winter flying.
Thank You

leah23232
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by leah23232 »

shamrock104 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 am I would avoid Cornwall, PM me
Hey shamrock104, I've also been hearing a lot more lately to avoid Cornwall by people with +10,000 hrs. Wondering if you can PM me with your suggestions.. I was thinking maybe PROIFR in vancouver.
Thanks

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Where in the Country are you? Yes, Cornwall is definitely a puppy mill and will get you through but not sure how your knowledge will be on graduation.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

At Cornwall you will be loading up the flight plan in the GPS for half hour on the ground while 2 engines are running @ $400 per hour and the instructor who doesn't give a shit about you or your money is looking out the window and/or texting.
If that is true the student should make a video of it and return to the office and tell them you are not flying there again and refuse to pay for being screwed by their instructor.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Sometime those GNS430 knobs can be very sensitive and I have fat fingers. Can you not import the flight plan from your SD card? I mean there are not that many waypoints to CYOW or CYMX to load for 30 minutes, or did I miss something here?
It takes 15 seconds to create a flight plan and save it to a SD card and it will take 3 seconds to load it to GNS430.

...unless doing such is explicitly prohibited by the flight school. :smt014

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

Put your flight plan in before start, then save it. After start, load it. There, saved you 200$

Wahunga!
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Are there not 20 FP save slots in the 430?
I flew a 402 for a well-known operator down south. The 430 was up on battery power and the FP preloaded before start. 2300 hours, never lost the FP upon start. The PA44 can be operated the same.
A tip for IFR instructors...if you want to play airline...then at least know what you're doing.

corndawg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by corndawg »

The routes are stored in the flight plan catalog (memory). They were, as of the beginning of December, saved to all their seminoles.
Just hit the flight plan button (FPL), second page (scroll small knob), push knob, highlight the one you want, hit enter, confirm all the points are what you want (amend as necessary), menu->activate.

NearNorthAviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NearNorthAviation »

Near North Aviation has just opened up an FTU at the John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport in the JetPort building. Give us a call at 905-679-5577. As a new operation, we haven't built up a student load yet so we have aircraft available basically anytime you want.

We have a Twin Comanche with fresh engines, having a WAAS GPS being installed. When ready, she will be added to our OC shortly. Once up and going we will have one retired and two current airline pilots on staff.

In addition, we also have a Class 1 Instructor to supply the further instructors we will need to meet the future demand.

Return to “Flight Training”