Possibly returning to Canada

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ray Darr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Possibly returning to Canada

Post by Ray Darr »

Hi all.

I'm exploring returning home after a long run of it overseas. Looking especially for any employment rumours (or facts!) where an experienced management widebody captain with 15k hours, Master's, etc...might find something back home to aim towards, either in the private or public sector.

Settling back home on the west coast - if the conditions are right - would be nice.

Appreciate any constructive help on what's the latest.
PM if you wish.
---------- ADS -----------

~ NO Soup For YOU! ~
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Possibly returning to Canada

Post by pelmet »

I remember KFC was looking for DC-10 captains last year. I wonder if anybody has an update on that job.

Ray Darr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks re: Possibly returning to Canada

Post by Ray Darr »

Thanks, pelmet, for the reply.
Any others would be greatly appreciated.

~ NO Soup For YOU! ~
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Not sure if you are aware but for a DEC at, lets say swoop, flair or sky regional pay very low wages, around $70-90k and they will make you work like a dog. Think twice before making that move. And you will be at the bottom of the seniority ladder with all the 25 year olds who claim that they are well experienced at 1500 hours. Be prepared to chuckle a lil bit.

If I were you, I would do one of two things: keep your overseas high paying job until you are 60, then take all your money and buy a place somewhere on the west coast and retire with the rest of the money. You really can’t make great money in Canada.

Or, come back and get Vancouver base for an Asian carrier that allows you to commute out of YVR and fly wide bodies on a one month on one month off basis. Good luck.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

If I recall correctly that DC10 job was 110k a year, so not worth the time.

I agree as above. There are a few contract jobs that cab work you out of YVR. May be your best bet.

Dragon2017
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dragon2017 »

I did what you did a year ago. No regrets returning to Canada. However, after you return you'll quickly come to the realisation that aviation here is still as F*#@!d Up as when you left it. Your experience won't matter much as you will be viewed either too experienced or, many in the hiring process will throw your resume in the bin with envy and resentment. Most corporate companies won't touch you as they view Wide Body Airline Pilots as lazy princesses. There are of course DEC position with certain regional carriers, but the pay, working conditions, are completely sub standard. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Dragon2017 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 am many in the hiring process will throw your resume in the bin with envy and resentment.
Why would anyone envy you having to give up a wide body gig to move back here?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I heard Air Georgian is hiring direct entry captains. Might just be a rumour though. The pay and working conditions are second to none. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Hangry wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 am
Dragon2017 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 am many in the hiring process will throw your resume in the bin with envy and resentment.
I think it’s more the smug superiority most expats seem to convey to those who stay in Canada with our pesos and our low pay and our long upgrade times and our draconian regulations and our high costs of living.

Of course there is far more to staying in Canada than just that, which is why I don’t envy any of them. There’s a awful lot of discontent that I can sense sneaking around their braggadocio about their huge wages.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:08 pm
Hangry wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:15 am
I think it’s more the smug superiority most expats seem to convey to those who stay in Canada with our pesos and our low pay and our long upgrade times and our draconian regulations and our high costs of living.

Of course there is far more to staying in Canada than just that, which is why I don’t envy any of them. There’s a awful lot of discontent that I can sense sneaking around their braggadocio about their huge wages.
I guess. Like who would care if someone flies a wide body. Especially if you had to leave home to do it.

Congrats. You’ve accomplished something I hope I never have to do.

Ray Darr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ray Darr »

Hi again, guys 'n gals.

Just to clarify for those needing clarification that in the original post I made, I don't recall doing any bragging about widebodies, salaries, or anything.
However, specifying what I have done helps narrow down what might be available, since most potential employers ask what type of experience one has. I'd merely mentioned what I have and had acquired over the years. Widebody, management experience, Master's, 15k, plus I was checking on what might be available now or soon in either the private or public sectors. So, no offence meant to anyone for stating the facts.

I'd still very much appreciate hearing from any and all on what is available before we decide to head home or not. Most I know in the industry are helpful, and that help is appreciated when looking out for one's family by merely asking what is happening back home.

Your personal messages are also greatly appreciated to the ones who wrote so-far, as are the posted ones.

I'd happily fly anything as long as the salary is fair. Sadly, most pay back home IS crud. We all wish that would change into something sustainable, even.
One can only hope.

Cheers.

~ NO Soup For YOU! ~
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

In the end it all comes down to personal choices.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Depends what you mean as a “fair salary”? Please elaborate what you consider a fair salary on the West Coast? If it all boils down to what you stated is important, then my post and statement stands. The salary is beyond sub-par in Canada and getting lower every year as we speak. Please don’t underestimate what you have abroad. Taxes are high in Canada, cost of living is through the roof, salaries are disgustingly low compared to even the third world country pilot wages, and you will be at the bottom of the seniority list. You WILL be living paycheque to paycheque unless you have some savings in the bank. It would help if you can say how old you are so that we can gauge how much time you have left before retirement. Some, if not many of us are trying to leave Canada so we can actually have a salary abroad and earn enough to pay off our debts from flight training, buy a house, pay for wedding and live a life without having to live pay cheque to paycheque.

You mentioned you want to move to the West Coast, and I don’t blame you. West Coast is beautiful and by far the most favourite place in Canada. Unfortunately, there are no Vancouver based jet jobs unless you look into the coorporate side of things, and even then, most DEC jobs based in YVR pay less than industry standard which is counter productive if you want to live in Vancouver as costs are insanely high. Either you know someone or you land a private 604 gig that very few people know about and you’ll be okay. If it is airlines or big jets you are after, your best bet is to apply at AC and hope for YVR base. Air Transat, Sunwing and Cargojet usually base their pilots further East. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

As a side note, some high time expat widebody Captains came back to Canada and applied to pasco based in Vancouver. I can positively say that 30% buy out their bond and say “I’ve never worked this much for so little money” and have gone elsewhere. Some are still at pasco.

munzil
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by munzil »

Hangry wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:41 pm Congrats. You’ve accomplished something I hope I never have to do.
Everyone is different. I know some that relish the adventure of living in other cultures and seeing the world and all its wonders over staying in the country that only by luck someone happened to be born in and being nothing but a dull dish rag their whole life.

But hey, as you say, what ever rocks your boat.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

munzil wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 am
Hangry wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:41 pm Congrats. You’ve accomplished something I hope I never have to do.
Everyone is different. I know some that relish the adventure of living in other cultures and seeing the world and all its wonders over staying in the country that only by luck someone happened to be born in and being nothing but a dull dish rag their whole life.

Lol. Ok. :roll:

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

Hangry wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 am
munzil wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 am

Lol. Ok. :roll:
Ohhhhhh AvCanada. Never change!

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:08 pm
You don't think you are projecting just a little?

To the OP, get used to this type of hostility when you get back. You are keen and eager to be back home and have nothing but good will. However the land is aplenty with people like Zaibatsu and Hangry who have nothing but animosity for anyone living overseas. I think they believe that canadians that have left only did so for big planes and money and that nothing in the world has anything to offer better than Canada. Small minds produce small results.

It can be a quite a challenge.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

To the OP, get used to this type of hostility when you get back. You are keen and eager to be back home and have nothing but good will. However the land is aplenty with people like Zaibatsu and Hangry who have nothing but animosity for anyone living overseas
Zaibatsu and Hangry could you relate your experiences working and living in other countries, I am interested because I found many countries that I lived and worked in to be great places and I am so happy to have experienced them.

It would be interesting to know which countries you found to be so bad compared to Canada.

pepsi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pepsi »

Ray Darr wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 pm Hi all.

I'm exploring returning home after a long run of it overseas. Looking especially for any employment rumours (or facts!) where an experienced management widebody captain with 15k hours, Master's, etc...might find something back home to aim towards, either in the private or public sector.

Settling back home on the west coast - if the conditions are right - would be nice.

PM if you wish.
Be careful, because if you want to live in Vanvouver area (or Toronto) with a pilot's earning the possiblity to have to live in a basement are not negligible.
Your life's standard could be changed a liitle bit...

Navajoe3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Navajoe3 »

Ray Darr wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:22 pm Hi all.

PM if you wish.

+1. Similar time in the ME but looking for anything east of Toronto.

Return to “Employment Forum”