Think carefully before you make your next move

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Think carefully before you make your next move

Post by proper »

Says the 4 post wonder...
:roll: :roll: :roll:
---------- ADS -----------

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/c ... 81020.html

300 million investment into chorus.

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

Just a reminder for the Jazz guys/gals.... By 2025 every single major airline in the country with the exception of Air Canada will have gone through a round of collective bargaining which means almost every single major pilot group will have had the opportunity to push the bar higher before you have to negotiate your next deal

You may be the most expensive CPA carrier at the moment but AC has still come knocking at your door. Ask yourself why? Could it be that AC recognizes that you get what you pay for? So imagine the gains that may be possible for you after every other airline has had the chance to raise the bar. These improved working conditions will have an impact on the cost structure of your CPA competitors too, closing the cost gap when AC weighs its options.

On the other hand if you vote yes to this deal you have just handicapped almost every single pilot group in their next round of bargaining, and the round after that and the round after that. 17 years worth of bargaining!! 2% becomes the de-facto increase because you folks will have locked that in. The starting wage and top wage at a regional carrier will stagnate because you folks will have locked that in. The starting F/O and Capt narrowbody mainline wages will also be locked in because those wages have always been related to what is paid at the regionals. In short, the possible gains of Canadian pilots become limited across the industry because of this deal. (For the ACPA folks in the audience, just wait until the company comes knocking about CSeries wages after this deal is signed).

People on here gave Westjetters and the pilots that went to Swoop a hard time but I would argue saying yes to this deal is far worse for Canadian aviation than what went on with Swoop. At least the Westjet folks were willing to go to the mat to try and fight it.

You're about to sign a 17 year contract out of fear or because AC has dangled the guaranteed flow carrot. I haven't heard of a single organized labour group in any industry, in any country in the world signing a 17 year deal. If you're the first in the world to do something you are either a trailblazing innovator or you're committing an act that is so dumb nobody else has even dared to attempt it. I know where I place this TA. We'll see if time proves me right.

blueskiessabove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by blueskiessabove »

47north wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 am
blueskiessabove wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 am To all my fellow aviators out there, think twice about voting yes. If you do you should be ashamed of yourself, this is the reason why the industry is so shitty in Canada and isn't getting better. Stop letting the fear mongering tactics get to you. Jazz isn't going anywhere and will be around for a long time to come. For the people just thinking about them selves to go to AC... think about the next generation behind you. The people that think about them selves shouldn't even be allowed to have a vote, there is a much bigger plot at play and that's how long can AC keep shitting on everyone.
What is shameful is that you blueskiesabove, as an LEC/MEC member, is telling Jazz pilots that they should be ashamed of voting the way they want.

Let me guess - Are you are one of the rogue members that tried to instigate a coup recently and now you are pissed that didn't succeed and are trying to push your own political agenda?

You tell others to 'stop letting fear mongering tactics get to you', yet you are doing the exactly the same thing to push forward your own agenda. You should know full well that we will not be locked into the same conditions for the full length of the TA. If we as pilots are such a finite resource as you say, the company will be back to sweeten the pot along the way - as they have with this MOS well in advance of the end of the current TA and as had been the case with US regionals.

Meanwhile the rest of the MEC has taken the rational approach that is is better to secure the work and a concrete flow to AC for all those that wish to take that path.

For the record I am not an ALPA officer, just a member who thinks that an MEC member should not be posting anonymously on this form. I hope other members recognize what your true agenda is here.

BTW my vote is an unconditional YES!
Sounds like ones own self motive, seeing big new shinny planes, pml which isn't a guarantee and hoping all works out for the best. Let me know if AC says no and your stuck in a contract that's shit for 17years. Learn from the past did you not see how 2015 played out....................... no further remarks

blueskiessabove
Rank 1
Rank 1

gonnabeapilot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 am Just a reminder for the Jazz guys/gals.... By 2025 every single major airline in the country with the exception of Air Canada will have gone through a round of collective bargaining which means almost every single major pilot group will have had the opportunity to push the bar higher before you have to negotiate your next deal

You may be the most expensive CPA carrier at the moment but AC has still come knocking at your door. Ask yourself why? Could it be that AC recognizes that you get what you pay for? So imagine the gains that may be possible for you after every other airline has had the chance to raise the bar. These improved working conditions will have an impact on the cost structure of your CPA competitors too, closing the cost gap when AC weighs its options.

On the other hand if you vote yes to this deal you have just handicapped almost every single pilot group in their next round of bargaining, and the round after that and the round after that. 17 years worth of bargaining!! 2% becomes the de-facto increase because you folks will have locked that in. The starting wage and top wage at a regional carrier will stagnate because you folks will have locked that in. The starting F/O and Capt narrowbody mainline wages will also be locked in because those wages have always been related to what is paid at the regionals. In short, the possible gains of Canadian pilots become limited across the industry because of this deal. (For the ACPA folks in the audience, just wait until the company comes knocking about CSeries wages after this deal is signed).

People on here gave Westjetters and the pilots that went to Swoop a hard time but I would argue saying yes to this deal is far worse for Canadian aviation than what went on with Swoop. At least the Westjet folks were willing to go to the mat to try and fight it.

You're about to sign a 17 year contract out of fear or because AC has dangled the guaranteed flow carrot. I haven't heard of a single organized labour group in any industry, in any country in the world signing a 17 year deal. If you're the first in the world to do something you are either a trailblazing innovator or you're committing an act that is so dumb nobody else has even dared to attempt it. I know where I place this TA. We'll see if time proves me right.
WELL SAID :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041

blueskiessabove
Rank 1
Rank 1

:smt041 :smt041
dh89 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:10 pm I would like to remind my fellow peers that you are in as good a position to negotiate for better terms as ever. We in Canada have become the rock bottom of the industry when it comes to compensation. When the AC directors and board decide to eliminate one carrier’s contract and give the fleet to chorus, along with taking a 10% stake in the company, it is obvious that they want the company to growth. Otherwise they wouldnt do it. The whole talk of eliminating jazz is nothing but fear tactics to lock us up to a crap contract for 17 years. Who knows what the cost of living will be during that time. Sure has increased by more than the 2%!
I really hope everyone votes with the thought of not just themselves; as well as those behind them. Not all of us have ambitions of going to mainline. There is a massive pilot shortage and there is no way that another carrier can hire enough pilots to cover our 700+ flights a day. If anything they would have to hire former jazz guys/gals. I also hope we can have the georgian pilots join us without any harm to our seniority while still providing a good workplace for them after working for such an operator.
When we crunch the numbers, pilot wages amount to much less than 1% of an airline’s bill. We need a piece of the pie.
As for the flowthrough for AC, the numbers will be the same as the ratio is already there atm going into air canada.
Just my 2 cents. I hope everyone gets what they want, you’re all worth your weight and skills.
:mrgreen:
Well said once again :smt041 :smt041 :smt041

Chevy1Ton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chevy1Ton »

blueskiessabove wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:34 am To all my fellow aviators out there, think twice about voting yes. If you do you should be ashamed of yourself, this is the reason why the industry is so shitty in Canada and isn't getting better. Stop letting the fear mongering tactics get to you. Jazz isn't going anywhere and will be around for a long time to come. For the people just thinking about them selves to go to AC... think about the next generation behind you. The people that think about them selves shouldn't even be allowed to have a vote, there is a much bigger plot at play and that's how long can AC keep shitting on everyone.
What is shameful is that you blueskiesabove, as an LEC/MEC member, is telling Jazz pilots that they should be ashamed of voting the way they want.

Let me guess - Are you are one of the rogue members that tried to instigate a coup recently and now you are pissed that didn't succeed and are trying to push your own political agenda?

You tell others to 'stop letting fear mongering tactics get to you', yet you are doing the exactly the same thing to push forward your own agenda. You should know full well that we will not be locked into the same conditions for the full length of the TA. If we as pilots are such a finite resource as you say, the company will be back to sweeten the pot along the way - as they have with this MOS well in advance of the end of the current TA and as had been the case with US regionals.

Meanwhile the rest of the MEC has taken the rational approach that is is better to secure the work and a concrete flow to AC for all those that wish to take that path.

For the record I am not an ALPA officer, just a member who thinks that an MEC member should not be posting anonymously on this form. I hope other members recognize what your true agenda is here.

47north,
Do you ever think that blueskiessabove has a point?? The word's may not be the best used by that individual, but it does make sense.

If the MEC Negotiating Committee can't even get us something that's free like J Class on our DH, which cost nothing to AC do you think there doing there best negotiating for our wages??? I mean come on man. When you buy a house do you pay the highest price NOOOO you negotiate!!!!!!!!!!!(Same Principal) Your opinion is important but so is every pilot behind us. Think if you were at the shit end of the stick.

blueskiessabove
Rank 1
Rank 1

I have zero tactics f'''''' up for yourself and see where it gets you.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Ok.... So.... That's gratuitous....

Are you on the MEC?

pa31ho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pa31ho »

All I can say is. Whether the vote passes or not, I truly hate my profession and wish I had taken my potential and done something else with my life.

To all the young people out there, I read these forums 10 years ago, saw the negativity and discounted it because I wanted to live my dream. Now that dream is dead, and I think my future will only become bleaker. I truely hope you heed these words and do something, anything else with your life. But I doubt you will and I feel sorry for you when you look back in ten years and feel the same regrets I do.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

blueskiessabove wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 am
To quote you blueskiessabove, it is 'sad sad' that a member of our MEC is acting in such a juvenile manner on a public forum. It is unbecoming and a poor reflection on our pilot group. You should resign.

With this behavior we are supposed to believe that you were one of the sober second thoughts in the room on this MOS? Hmm, I think I will stick with the rest of the MEC and the negotiating committee on this one.

BTW I am neither very senior nor junior and interested in the PML. And I am still sticking around and my vote is still a yes.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

47north wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:53 am BTW I am neither very senior nor junior and interested in the PML. And I am still sticking around and my vote is still a yes.
The PML promise is just a redundant tactic.
You would go to AC regardless. They need too many people. A 2 year good record at an Express carrier is the highest scoring single element on the matrix now outside of total time.
So, given that you can basically eliminate that as an improvement, what are you left with?
Vote how you see fit, but think about how it will affect our industry.

Edit- I may have misread your sentence, I'm not sure if you're interested in the PML or not. Regardless I'll maintain my comment in generality.

LtDan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LtDan »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:40 pm https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/c ... 81020.html

300 million investment into chorus.
It’s a line of credit... not an investment. For the new RJ leases to AC probably.

blueskiessabove
Rank 1
Rank 1

blueskiessabove wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:01 am

I'm just another FO looking to represent our future in this industry and when people like 47north throw all of us under the bus it looks bad on our profession. I'm not an MEC and will never have any inclantion to do so. But when people think this contract is right I will bark back :goodman: :goodman: :goodman: :goodman: :goodman: :goodman:

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Chevy1Ton wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:03 am
47north,
Do you ever think that blueskiessabove has a point?? The word's may not be the best used by that individual, but it does make sense.

If the MEC Negotiating Committee can't even get us something that's free like J Class on our DH, which cost nothing to AC do you think there doing there best negotiating for our wages??? I mean come on man. When you buy a house do you pay the highest price NOOOO you negotiate!!!!!!!!!!!(Same Principal) Your opinion is important but so is every pilot behind us. Think if you were at the shit end of the stick.
Yes I see the point, but I don't agree with the strategy. We need to secure the work and the rest will follow. This has been the case in the US. Companies are increasing compensation to attract the talent, not out of the goodness of their hearts. Basic supply and demand and it will happen here if the long awaited pilot shortage materializes,which I believe it is. However at the moment we are still filling the seats and we are not quite as desperate as they are south of the border yet. It's coming though. And when it does, the company will be throwing money at the problem. Just like they have with copious amounts of OT in the past. Just like the US carriers are doing now.

We do stand the risk that the work moves to the other express carriers and we are left with the scraps. Yes there will be jobs to be had, but I would far rather work under our contract than the works rules at Georgian or Sky. No offence to those groups, but overall they are not even close.

As far as negotiating, this has been going on for months and I am am certain this MOS is not the first reiteration. Every item has a cost like J class as an example. This is not a zero cost to AC.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

47north wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 pm We do stand the risk that the work moves to the other express carriers and we are left with the scraps. Yes there will be jobs to be had, but I would far rather work under our contract than the works rules at Georgian or Sky. No offence to those groups, but overall they are not even close.
And yet, AC has gone scurrying back to Jazz, practically demanding they take the flying back from GGN because the latter has proven incapable of meeting AC's service standards. This whole proposal is basically AC admitting that only Jazz is able to handle the flying reliably; it's not even being used as a bargaining chip for SR in their upcoming negotiations. They didn't put it out for tender or anything, they just went straight to Jazz. This is basically AC management going to Jazz management and begging and pleading for them to take over from GGN, then trying to play it cool when presenting the offer to the pilots: "We'd like you to do the flying, but whatever, take it or leave it. We'll even offer you a few more cents per hour and basically the same PML as you have now because we're so generous, but, like, there are sooo many other pilots out there who would do this work for less than what we're offering." Okay, then why didn't you offer it to them?
Call their bluff.

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

Diadem wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm
47north wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 pm We do stand the risk that the work moves to the other express carriers and we are left with the scraps. Yes there will be jobs to be had, but I would far rather work under our contract than the works rules at Georgian or Sky. No offence to those groups, but overall they are not even close.
And yet, AC has gone scurrying back to Jazz, practically demanding they take the flying back from GGN because the latter has proven incapable of meeting AC's service standards. This whole proposal is basically AC admitting that only Jazz is able to handle the flying reliably; it's not even being used as a bargaining chip for SR in their upcoming negotiations. They didn't put it out for tender or anything, they just went straight to Jazz. This is basically AC management going to Jazz management and begging and pleading for them to take over from GGN, then trying to play it cool when presenting the offer to the pilots: "We'd like you to do the flying, but whatever, take it or leave it. We'll even offer you a few more cents per hour and basically the same PML as you have now because we're so generous, but, like, there are sooo many other pilots out there who would do this work for less than what we're offering." Okay, then why didn't you offer it to them?
Call their bluff.
Pal, sounds like you need to go search out some info. That's not at all how it went down from what they said at the road show. That being said I'm sure AC is happy to get rid of GGN in this process.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

V1Vr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:58 pm
Call their bluff.
Pal, sounds like you need to go search out some info. That's not at all how it went down from what they said at the road show. That being said I'm sure AC is happy to get rid of GGN in this process.
This is purely speculation, but something to think about...

You are Jazz and want to negitate with your pilots about extending their contract for an absurd amount of years at the cheapest wages possible... If you were in charge, would you tell them that Air Canada came to us (not saying they did) or would you tell them that Jazz went to Air Canada in a panic to secure flying before they parted out more of the regional flying to GGN. Which version do you think would get you closer to you desired outcome sooner?

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

truedude wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:12 pm
Call their bluff.

You are Jazz and want to negitate with your pilots about extending their contract for an absurd amount of years at the cheapest wages possible... If you were in charge, would you tell them that Air Canada came to us (not saying they did) or would you tell them that Jazz went to Air Canada in a panic to secure flying before they parted out more of the regional flying to GGN. Which version do you think would get you closer to you desired outcome sooner?
You're not wrong. I'm just saying what the union executive said, I don't have any reason to think they're lying. Now if the company lied to them, who knows.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

V1Vr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:14 pm
truedude wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:12 pm

You're not wrong. I'm just saying what the union executive said, I don't have any reason to think they're lying. Now if the company lied to them, who knows.
Oh, I 100% trust our union. But I know if I was negotiating for the company, I would never in a million years tell the pilots that Air Canada came to us. And if I was Air Canada, I would threaten on the pain of death that that best never be revealed and to sell it the other way around.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”