Fully ready

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Fully ready

Post by av8ts » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am

I quite often hear BA say they are fully ready. Is there a difference between ready and fully ready. I would have thought your either ready or your not ready
---------- ADS -----------
  

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by V1Vr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 am

:lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL410AV8R
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by FL410AV8R » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am

Maybe they are just emphasizing the fact that they are ready.

Kind of like the “positive climb” call, isn’t a climb by it’s very nature positive? If it were negative it would be a descent.
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by av8ts » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 am

I’ve never heard positive climb only positive rate
---------- ADS -----------
  

Sharklasers
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:24 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by Sharklasers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am

It's an LHR thing.
To push there you don't call for push and start you call fully ready when your before start checks are complete and your groundcrew is in position.
Eventually they let you push and they don't want you blocking the lane and taxi ways for very long.
---------- ADS -----------
  

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by V1Vr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Sharklasers wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am
It's an LHR thing.
To push there you don't call for push and start you call fully ready when your before start checks are complete and your groundcrew is in position.
Eventually they let you push and they don't want you blocking the lane and taxi ways for very long.
Sounds like they should implement that for Gates 39-42 at YVR
---------- ADS -----------
  

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by rudder » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Sounds like what a friend once told me - “It’s not wrong. It’s just British....”
---------- ADS -----------
  

Eric Janson
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by Eric Janson » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm

av8ts wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 am
I’ve never heard positive climb only positive rate
Positive climb is airbus
---------- ADS -----------
  
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Fully ready

Post by wirez » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Sharklasers wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am
It's an LHR thing.
To push there you don't call for push and start you call fully ready when your before start checks are complete and your groundcrew is in position.
Eventually they let you push and they don't want you blocking the lane and taxi ways for very long.
It’s not just a British thing. It’s all around Asia too. In Hong Kong where you have to call fully ready to get in the departure queue. If there’s significant flow control for a destination, your time waiting for a slot doesn’t start until you call “fully ready.”. Sometimes once you make this call they inform you your departure time is in 4 hrs :lol: . Some of us cheat a bit if we know there’s flow control in effect, and we will call fully ready before the pax have even boarded.
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by digits_ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:50 pm

wirez wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm
Some of us cheat a bit if we know there’s flow control in effect, and we will call fully ready before the pax have even boarded.
On a portable radio from the bar?
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by av8ts » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:42 pm

But couldn’t you just call ready. Isn’t that the same

I heard “it’s not broken, it’s British”
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:47 am
Location: CYUL

Re: Fully ready

Post by kilocharliemike » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Once in Yqb we called ready short 29 just waiting on the back... atc answered well you aren’t “fully ready” hold short... so rude!
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by FL007 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 pm

kilocharliemike wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm
Once in Yqb we called ready short 29 just waiting on the back... atc answered well you aren’t “fully ready” hold short... so rude!
They aren't wrong. They'd clear you to depart and you'd still be waiting on the back end. I'm sure that'd go over great in yul or yyz. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Cavalier44
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by Cavalier44 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:51 pm

FL007 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 pm
kilocharliemike wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm
Once in Yqb we called ready short 29 just waiting on the back... atc answered well you aren’t “fully ready” hold short... so rude!
They aren't wrong. They'd clear you to depart and you'd still be waiting on the back end. I'm sure that'd go over great in yul or yyz. :lol:
Too funny. If you’re waiting on the back end, you’re not ready.
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by av8ts » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am

Exactly. Your either ready or your not ready.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Aviatard
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:45 am
Location: In a box behind Walmart

Re: Fully ready

Post by Aviatard » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 am

av8ts wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am
I quite often hear BA say they are fully ready. Is there a difference between ready and fully ready. I would have thought your either ready or your not ready
My ready or my not ready what?
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Fully ready

Post by av8ts » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:25 am

Aviatard wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 am
av8ts wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am
I quite often hear BA say they are fully ready. Is there a difference between ready and fully ready. I would have thought your either ready or your not ready
My ready or my not ready what?
What?? My ready!!!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Schooner69A
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: The Okanagan

Re: Fully ready

Post by Schooner69A » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 am

Then there's "Pre-flight planning..."

Used when I was in the military. Believe it came up from south of the border. :)
---------- ADS -----------
  

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by rudder » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:11 am

av8ts wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am
Exactly. Your either ready or your not ready.
“Honey, I’m ready”

“OK. But are you fully ready?”
---------- ADS -----------
  

Gino Under
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Fully ready

Post by Gino Under » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I think most would agree, there’s lots of unprofessional, cutesy pie lingo in North American R/T to be overly smug about others R/T.
Odd that we understand what “PD to 4” is, yet it’s use is rarely , if ever, called out. How about “level three-five-oh”? Our Canadian R/T manual says the number “0” is pronounced “zero”, not “oh”. In fact, we learned in primary school the difference between numbers and letters but there you go. Professionalism is not just a state of mind for some.
So, why call out the difference between ready and fully ready when it is clearly understood?
Check out the UK CAA’s CAP-403, Chapter 4, Aerodrome Phraseology 4.21 if you need clarity.
It would be a good read for many Canadian pilots. Especially for those who haven’t flown outside this country (or North America).
---------- ADS -----------
  

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator
Posts: 5701
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:21 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Fully ready

Post by ahramin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 am

Toronto is adding "Ready" phraseology next month but as usual NavCanada likes their standard phraseology to be different from standard standard phraseology. No "Fully Ready" for you!
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attachments
5aic_eng_2019_01.pdf
(188.97 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Post Reply

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”