Fully ready

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Fully ready

Post by av8ts »

I quite often hear BA say they are fully ready. Is there a difference between ready and fully ready. I would have thought your either ready or your not ready
---------- ADS -----------

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Fully ready

Post by V1Vr »

:lol:

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Maybe they are just emphasizing the fact that they are ready.

Kind of like the “positive climb” call, isn’t a climb by it’s very nature positive? If it were negative it would be a descent.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I’ve never heard positive climb only positive rate

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

It's an LHR thing.
To push there you don't call for push and start you call fully ready when your before start checks are complete and your groundcrew is in position.
Eventually they let you push and they don't want you blocking the lane and taxi ways for very long.

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

Sharklasers wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am It's an LHR thing.
To push there you don't call for push and start you call fully ready when your before start checks are complete and your groundcrew is in position.
Eventually they let you push and they don't want you blocking the lane and taxi ways for very long.
Sounds like they should implement that for Gates 39-42 at YVR

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Sounds like what a friend once told me - “It’s not wrong. It’s just British....”

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

av8ts wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 am I’ve never heard positive climb only positive rate
Positive climb is airbus

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

Sharklasers wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:33 am It's an LHR thing.
It’s not just a British thing. It’s all around Asia too. In Hong Kong where you have to call fully ready to get in the departure queue. If there’s significant flow control for a destination, your time waiting for a slot doesn’t start until you call “fully ready.”. Sometimes once you make this call they inform you your departure time is in 4 hrs :lol: . Some of us cheat a bit if we know there’s flow control in effect, and we will call fully ready before the pax have even boarded.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

wirez wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm Some of us cheat a bit if we know there’s flow control in effect, and we will call fully ready before the pax have even boarded.
On a portable radio from the bar?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

But couldn’t you just call ready. Isn’t that the same

I heard “it’s not broken, it’s British”

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

Once in Yqb we called ready short 29 just waiting on the back... atc answered well you aren’t “fully ready” hold short... so rude!

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

kilocharliemike wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm Once in Yqb we called ready short 29 just waiting on the back... atc answered well you aren’t “fully ready” hold short... so rude!
They aren't wrong. They'd clear you to depart and you'd still be waiting on the back end. I'm sure that'd go over great in yul or yyz. :lol:

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

FL007 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 pm
kilocharliemike wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:00 pm Once in Yqb we called ready short 29 just waiting on the back... atc answered well you aren’t “fully ready” hold short... so rude!
They aren't wrong. They'd clear you to depart and you'd still be waiting on the back end. I'm sure that'd go over great in yul or yyz. :lol:
Too funny. If you’re waiting on the back end, you’re not ready.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Exactly. Your either ready or your not ready.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

av8ts wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am I quite often hear BA say they are fully ready. Is there a difference between ready and fully ready. I would have thought your either ready or your not ready
My ready or my not ready what?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Aviatard wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 am
av8ts wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:46 am I quite often hear BA say they are fully ready. Is there a difference between ready and fully ready. I would have thought your either ready or your not ready
My ready or my not ready what?
What?? My ready!!!

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Then there's "Pre-flight planning..."

Used when I was in the military. Believe it came up from south of the border. :)

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

av8ts wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am Exactly. Your either ready or your not ready.
“Honey, I’m ready”

“OK. But are you fully ready?”

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I think most would agree, there’s lots of unprofessional, cutesy pie lingo in North American R/T to be overly smug about others R/T.
Odd that we understand what “PD to 4” is, yet it’s use is rarely , if ever, called out. How about “level three-five-oh”? Our Canadian R/T manual says the number “0” is pronounced “zero”, not “oh”. In fact, we learned in primary school the difference between numbers and letters but there you go. Professionalism is not just a state of mind for some.
So, why call out the difference between ready and fully ready when it is clearly understood?
Check out the UK CAA’s CAP-403, Chapter 4, Aerodrome Phraseology 4.21 if you need clarity.
It would be a good read for many Canadian pilots. Especially for those who haven’t flown outside this country (or North America).

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”